Pliers?

Codejack

I've been needing some new/more pliers, and I got talked into buying a Channellock set; I already had some that I didn't like, but I got a lot of grief for not liking them, and so many people insisted that the new ones were better that I decided to give them a try.

Long story short: I hate them. I don't think that they work very well, the finish is poor, the fit is off, and the grips are terrible.

I need some new pliers.

I am considering these:

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-82108-Standard-Pliers-Master/dp/B0014ZXY80/ref=pd_sim_469_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0014ZXY80&pd_rd_r=ZWSCHNBPVP6HKRP5VDPT&pd_rd_w=jcJNO&pd_rd_wg=PGJFR&psc=1&refRID=ZWSCHNBPVP6HKRP5VDPT

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRIP-GrooveLock-Locking-1802537/dp/B0062Y59RW/ref=pd_sim_469_61?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P37KA452AYB82H1PQ5AF

I have some old Irwins that I love, but the new ones are supposedly not as good; on the other hand, the same people who told me that told me that Channellocks were good, so....

Anyone have any experience with newer Irwin or Gearwrench pliers?

Just now, Stercorarius said:

Ah we have very different tastes in pliers then because my recommendation would be channellock ones. Maybe try klein. I am not a fan of Klein so maybe they would suit your tastes a little better.

Klein has those same thin grips; I have big hands and I get cramps using them.

Also, I have not have good luck with Klein, quality-wise.

4 minutes ago, Codejack said:

Klein has those same thin grips; I have big hands and I get cramps using them.

Also, I have not have good luck with Klein, quality-wise.

Ah at least we agree on one thing them. If the big grips are what you are after try the newer Irwin's. The grips are much better shaped then the ones in that Amazon listing. The few Irwin sells that are rebranded NWS from Germany are knipex quality with better grips. 

https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Leverage-Diagonal-Powerslot-1902413/dp/B00N3VSPF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510522601&sr=8-1&keywords=Irwin+powerslot

Favorite pair of cutters right there. That style of grips is very comfortable for big hands.

Just now, Stercorarius said:

Ah at least we agree on one thing them. If the big grips are what you are after try the newer Irwin's. The grips are much better shaped then the ones in that Amazon listing. The few Irwin sells that are rebranded NWS from Germany are knipex quality with better grips. 

https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Leverage-Diagonal-Powerslot-1902413/dp/B00N3VSPF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510522601&sr=8-1&keywords=Irwin+powerslot

Favorite pair of cutters right there. That style of grips is very comfortable for big hands.

I've looked at those, but...

1. Expensive!

2. Short normal cutters or long pivot cutters (they don't open as wide), neither of which I want.

3. No slip-joint (my favorite tool for hose clamps) or tongue-and-groove, at all.

I have Gearwrench tongue and groove pliers, needle nose pliers, and diagonal cutters, not the exact same models you have listed. I like them, easy on the hands even though mine are the standard red dipped grips but the ones you linked to should be just as comfortable if not more so.

Just now, jtkendall said:

I have Gearwrench tongue and groove pliers, needle nose pliers, and diagonal cutters, not the exact same models you have listed. I like them, easy on the hands even though mine are the standard red dipped grips but the ones you linked to should be just as comfortable if not more so.

Excellent; do they work well? The cutters, especially, I am worried about, since they will dull quickly if they aren't hardened properly.

Just now, Codejack said:

Excellent; do they work well? The cutters, especially, I am worried about, since they will dull quickly if they aren't hardened properly.

I don't use them every day but haven't noticed any issues with dulling of the cutters. The tongue and groove pliers are the ones I've used the most and they work really well every time, no complaints.

1 hour ago, Codejack said:

The edges dull really fast.

I have to agree with Sparky, if you think Kleins dull too fast then I'm not sure what will make you happy. I can usually get years out of a pair or Klein cutters. Most guys I know buy them as the "GOOD' ones.  I recently bought a pair of Knipex, but have not had them long enough to comment.

• Like 1

Just now, SetBuilder said:

I have to agree with Sparky, if you think Kleins dull too fast then I'm not sure what will make you happy. I can usually get years out of a pair or Klein cutters. Most guys I know buy them as the "GOOD' ones.  I recently bought a pair of Knipex, but have not had them long enough to comment.

I've been using Stanley pliers and Irwin vise-grips for the last 15 years or so, both of which have been good, but I can't find the high end Stanleys, and the Irwins are one of the sets I linked to. My current set is small (size), small (few), old and rusty.

I think that a lot of people who use Kleins use them almost exclusively on soft copper and braided steel wire, and less hardened steel, tubing, etc, Klein being best known in the electrical trade (although even when I was apprentice electrician, I switched to Greenlee almost immediately). I have to cut through spring-style hose clamps fairly often, and that chews soft cutters up in a hurry.

1 minute ago, Cr8ondt said:

You know, I notice right away the difference between those and the Channellocks that I bought; the finish is good, the teeth are straight and go all the way to the end of the jaw (the CLs have a ~3mm flat area at the end, no wonder they don't grip!), and they are just... leaner. Less wasted metal.

They are expensive and don't have the grips that I like; I'll go buy NWS-sourced Irwin if that's the route I really have to take.

How are the high end Taiwan units?

2 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah dikes aren't really a great choice for hose clamps. That being said the Irwin nws cutters go through hose clamps/nails/screws/Romex/cable like butter. Can cut a 10 penny nail without a nick.

I might grab the NWS cutters and the Taiwan knock-off needlenose and slip joint; I don't abuse them nearly so badly :)