Pliers?

Codejack

Just now, BMack37 said:

Which model of Kleins have you used? There are different cutters with vastly different quality and durability. I wasn't a fan of Klein until I figured that out, now I think they're a solid choice.

That might be it, but this was 20 years ago; I have no idea which ones they were :)

1 hour ago, Codejack said:

That might be it, but this was 20 years ago; I have no idea which ones they were :)

Ahh. I think you are really looking at expensive cutters and then you can go a little cheaper for the other pliers. Even the Klein cutters that are good are about the same cost as the Knipex, NWS made Irwins(unless you get clearance pricing). I believe KC Tool will be having sale pricing on NWS-made Felo pliers/cutters.

I have one pair of Channellock cutters and they suck compared to NWS and Knipex. If your $15 cutters don't cut and your $30-$40 cutters do cut, it's worth the investment.

Pliers are mostly useable regardless but the fit and finish suffer when you go into the lower pricepoints. Husky is made by Apex so those should be sort of close to Gearwrench...or just buy on Amazon, if you hate them, return them.

Ok, I went and looked at the NWS Irwins, and I'm not wild about them.

6" straight cutters or 8" angled... and I want 8" straight. 

Crosshatch pattern on the needlenose; I don't know what that is supposed to be good for, but it's not what I do.

And no slip-joint pliers, at all.

Those are the 3 that I really need, too. The regular Irwins are China, not even Taiwan.

I looked at the Husky set at home depot, and if those are the same as Gearwrench, I don't want them, either.

Neither Lowe's nor HD carried the good Stanley pliers (Fatmax/professional/ maxsteel), although they had Fatmax everything else.

Slip-Joint, Tekton is made in the USA by Wilde and cheap. The handles are thicker than they look, thicker than Channellock: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-8-Inch-Joint-Pliers-37123/dp/B00KLY1F9U/

These are Tekton's other made in USA pliers (That's it, slip and tongue and groove, the rest are China):

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-90394-Tongue-Groove-3-Piece/dp/B00TJQKWYU/

I'd also consider these, they sound like a gimmick but Engineer's screw gripping pliers are one of my most valuable tools, if there's a head to grab, they always remove the screw. Made in Japan:

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PZ-56-Screw-Pliers-XP/dp/B000W9IV82/

6 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

That's exactly what I need... but $35!

I actually found some that I really like from Toptul, but the tools are ~$15 and the shipping is $30... each.

3 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Slip-Joint, Tekton is made in the USA by Wilde and cheap. The handles are thicker than they look, thicker than Channellock: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-8-Inch-Joint-Pliers-37123/dp/B00KLY1F9U/

These are Tekton's other made in USA pliers (That's it, slip and tongue and groove, the rest are China):

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-90394-Tongue-Groove-3-Piece/dp/B00TJQKWYU/

I'd also consider these, they sound like a gimmick but Engineer's screw gripping pliers are one of my most valuable tools, if there's a head to grab, they always remove the screw. Made in Japan:

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PZ-56-Screw-Pliers-XP/dp/B000W9IV82/

You know, the Tektons were what I was looking at in the first place when the reddit tool forum guys turned me off of them and told me to go buy the Channellocks...

I think that I will try to sell the CLs, buy the Tektons for now and save up for some NWS Irwins...

4 hours ago, Codejack said:

That's exactly what I need... but $35!

I actually found some that I really like from Toptul, but the tools are ~$15 and the shipping is $30... each.

You know, the Tektons were what I was looking at in the first place when the reddit tool forum guys turned me off of them and told me to go buy the Channellocks...

I think that I will try to sell the CLs, buy the Tektons for now and save up for some NWS Irwins...

Shoot Dennis a message and ask him if he's going to be importing any more pliers. He won't special order for you but if he's buying some already, shipping is cheaper. He's the unofficial Toptul US distributor. https://www.ebay.com/usr/schmidtdn?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Toptul makes good stuff. They made the really nice chrome Kobalt ratchets that were recently discontinued. Their wrenches are very well liked by the users, comparing them to Snap On and other high end manufacturers.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

Shoot Dennis a message and ask him if he's going to be importing any more pliers. He won't special order for you but if he's buying some already, shipping is cheaper. He's the unofficial Toptul US distributor. https://www.ebay.com/usr/schmidtdn?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Toptul makes good stuff. They made the really nice chrome Kobalt ratchets that were recently discontinued. Their wrenches are very well liked by the users, comparing them to Snap On and other high end manufacturers.

Very nice!

No pliers on there right now; I'll drop him a note. I've been looking for some zero-offset wrenches...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPTUL-GPAP0602-Flat-Type-Extra-Long-Metric-Double-Ring-Wrench-Set/112627500435?hash=item1a391f4593:g:7H4AAOSwdzVXsLxa

OK, Schmidt got back to me.

He says that he's about to stop importing Toptul because no one is buying them. If anyone else is interested, he can get a box, but they come 6 or 10 in a package.

That sucks. The sockets and wrenches are insanely nice for the price...that being said, I haven't ordered. I like having SAE and Metric but he rarely has the SAE stuff.

Just now, BMack37 said:

That sucks. The sockets and wrenches are insanely nice for the price...that being said, I haven't ordered. I like having SAE and Metric but he rarely has the SAE stuff.

Yea, that would prevent me from using their stuff as my main tools, but I'm looking at the zero offset box end wrenches, which I really only need in metric.

I've been desperately searching for other sources of pliers; I was on Matco's website... and they have rebranded Channellocks at 5 times the price.

I don't but they look like they're made by Apex (Husky/GW/New Craftsman). They have other pliers that look like they're made by Kal/Pro America, those look really good.

atd-tools-8-slip-joint-pliers-828

I'd order some on Amazon and return what you don't like. Semantics allows for "Item not as described" for a free return. Not an awesome practice but it won't break Amazon.

6 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I really don't think you're going to find pliers up to your standards in the price range you're looking for.

I found them! I just can't get them into this country without paying through the nose for shipping. (Toptul)

Or, if I could find the stupid @$!#ing Stanley Fatmax pliers! Lowe's has everything in the world in that line, except pliers. Amazon has them, but the reviews say they aren't the right ones. Stanley's own website says that there are no retailers who have them.

It's like some kind of twisted plot....

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 10:22 PM, SetBuilder said:

I have to agree with Sparky, if you think Kleins dull too fast then I'm not sure what will make you happy. I can usually get years out of a pair or Klein cutters. Most guys I know buy them as the "GOOD' ones.  I recently bought a pair of Knipex, but have not had them long enough to comment.

I agree, I also don't find the cutting edge on knipex lineman pliers to last any longer. Quite the opposite in my experience.

I agree, I also don't find the cutting edge on knipex lineman pliers to last any longer. Quite the opposite in my experience.

Which ones are you talking about?

The red handled Klein are softer and dull quickly when cutting anything harder than copper. The J series (blue handle) are hardened and keep a much better edge but are brittle and are prone to chipping.
The equivalent Knipex are virtually identical.
I prefer the hardened Knipex over my Klein’s for weight and balance, but I keep putting the Klein’s back into my pouch because they are a much better hammer...
The Knipex comfort grips are also slightly better than the J series comfort grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

While on the subject, I have a pair of 7" longnose without a cutter(my preference) by Snap On. They are #96ACP. They were replaced by similar 96BCP. They are pretty beefy at the tips and of course are made with Snap On precision. Both are discontinued, though I keep watching ebay for a really clean pair at a decent price.
I want a second pair and have not found anything. The Chinese made Southwires look similar but have a cutter. Reviews of Knipex suggest that they flex. It is that ridgid longnose that I like. Most are more delicate at the tips. The 7" length feels right and I prefer a not overly bulky insulated grip. Anybody know of an alternative? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Mycrossover said:

While on the subject, I have a pair of 7" longnose without a cutter(my preference) by Snap On. They are #96ACP. They were replaced by similar 96BCP. They are pretty beefy at the tips and of course are made with Snap On precision. Both are discontinued, though I keep watching ebay for a really clean pair at a decent price.
I want a second pair and have not found anything. The Chinese made Southwires look similar but have a cutter. Reviews of Knipex suggest that they flex. It is that ridgid longnose that I like. Most are more delicate at the tips. The 7" length feels right and I prefer a not overly bulky insulated grip. Anybody know of an alternative? Thanks.

Knipex makes different pliers for different applications. They make a general needle nose without cutter but those are meant for what you're supposed to use needle nose pliers for, holding something small or pulling something small. If you want something for what would be abuse for needle nose pliers, you want their "assembly pliers" they're about 8" shorter jaws with better leverage for better grip. I use mine a lot, in fact, I own two pairs. They also have a duckbill version that has a wider tip.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-28-21-200-half-round/dp/B003EA05NA

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like anything I saw, new. Even the current Snap On is quite a bit different. I just bought a pair of SnapOn 96BCP pliers on ebay. They look mint in the pictures. They are on the way. I have my fingers crossed. I will report back when they arrive.

Knipex makes different pliers for different applications. They make a general needle nose without cutter but those are meant for what you're supposed to use needle nose pliers for, holding something small or pulling something small. If you want something for what would be abuse for needle nose pliers, you want their "assembly pliers" they're about 8" shorter jaws with better leverage for better grip. I use mine a lot, in fact, I own two pairs. They also have a duckbill version that has a wider tip.
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-28-21-200-half-round/dp/B003EA05NA

12 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

I didn't like anything I saw, new. Even the current Snap On is quite a bit different. I just bought a pair of SnapOn 96BCP pliers on ebay. They look mint in the pictures. They are on the way. I have my fingers crossed. I will report back when they arrive.

Yeah, there's really not something the same that I know of... I do really like the assembly pliers from Knipex and I think you would also but if you can get what you know you want there's no sense trying something else that might not fit into your usage.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's really not something the same that I know of... I do really like the assembly pliers from Knipex and I think you would also but if you can get what you know you want there's no sense trying something else that might not fit into your usage.
It's out for delivery. He sent it Fed Ex. How about that. I'll know shortly if it is as nice as the pictures.

Just arrived. They look brand new BUT the pivot is very stiff. I have the previous model and the handles on that one are maybe a 1/ 4" longer. They switched from a smooth to a textured grip and the design of the pivot area has changed. Maybe these were up for sale because they are a bit stiff. I shot the pivot full of Superlube and it helped a little. I like my old ones better but I really can't say I was screwed.Any suggestions on loosening them up? I exercised them quite a bit and there was some initial improvement but they will not fall open like my old ones190c6afe27a3b99ee4f9ae3298d69c31.jpg554a47ac67f72c0fcc3cb9f09a51c5df.jpg