FlexVolt DCS690 cutoff machine

Bremon

Coverage from various tool reviewers at STAFDA covered Dewalt’s reveal of the new 60v Max FlexVolt cut-off machine.

Model DCS690

Availability Spring 2018

Pricing TBD

Blade size appears to be 9”, though the label says 12”, intended for diamond wheels or abrasive wheels. Concrete cutting, rebar, etc. come to mind for applications. 

As others mentioned in another thread, I’m not sure what sort of power these will have, I know I see a lot of gas beasts on site. My understanding is you can hook up water or dust extraction (scratch that, just water it looks like) to this? Hopefully someone else can chime in, I have no personal experience with cutoff machines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

Coverage from various tool reviewers at STAFDA covered Dewalt’s reveal of the new 60v Max FlexVolt cut-off machine.

Model DCS690

Availability Spring 2018

Pricing TBD

Blade size is 12”, intended for diamond wheels or abrasive wheels. Concrete cutting, rebar, etc. come to mind for applications. 

As others mentioned in another thread, I’m not sure what sort of power these will have, I know I see a lot of gas beasts on site. My understanding is you can hook up water or dust extraction to this? Hopefully someone else can chime in, I have no personal experience with cutoff machines. I also don’t know how to embed tweets so I have no pics lol, sorry guys. 

Pretty sure it's actually a 9" blade.

@Bremon it has a water feature they didn't talk much about it. Don't know if it is self priming or how it works. From the picture it appears to be the same size as a hose bib connection so I would guess you could hook up a water hose. I don't know enough about them to know how the water feature works.  Not sure about dust collection but if I remember correctly to meet table 1 requirements all you gotta have for this saw is a water delivery system to the blade and should be used outside or you can use inside but gotta use a dust mask in addition to the water system.

12 in blade is news to me. I thought the same as @justinkendall 9in blade.

The water simply works off of the water pressure from a standard water hose, and that is the dust control. 

I'm focking shocked it's a 12in saw though, I mean on 60v? The rotating mass alone is substantial. Gas units try to twist sideways out of your hand when you mash the throttle...can't wait to see it in use. 

• Like 1

The idea of it is great. The guys I see using them use gas models with crazy power. Usually cutting a foundation wall (8”-10”thick) to cut in a door or access hole for remodeling.....if it works ,awesome. ....those tools take serious abuse. It just didn’t look “heavy duty” to me, like the gas models....but hey I’m all for more tools more POWA...😁

Funny you say that, a guy was cutting a pool wall 100’ from us and the cement dust was  drifting over like a cloud,,it was killing us....I walk over and said , hey there’s new rules dust can’t fly everywhere , it’s cancerous ...OSHA ? He goes “ya right,so ?.............of course I take it that means, “im a dick so, please go get your machine and crush me” .......so I obliged him😑.no, kidding...so I had a guy use a chemical sprayer with water in it to keep it down....that stuff is brutal....

Looking at this pic, the blade just does not look like it is a 12" blade to me. Battery in pic is approx. 4 1/2" in length. If it were sitting next to the blade it would be easier to compare. It is a prototype, and everything about it could be subject to change, including labels.

18 minutes ago, JMG said:

Looking at this pic, the blade just does not look like it is a 12" blade to me. Battery in pic is approx. 4 1/2" in length. If it were sitting next to the blade it would be easier to compare. It is a prototype, and everything about it could be subject to change, including labels.

Maybe they started with a 12 and realized it wasn't feasible with current battery tech, could have been the night before they slapped a 9" on...

Real question is how well does it handle steel. 3 1/2" is enough for probably 80% of the concrete I've cut. That being said if this is a $600 saw I'd be pissed every time I rented a gasser for that 20%. You can get a Makita gas saw for about a grand. The only advantage that they can give this saw is if they make it cheap. I can get a Makita 14" gas one brand new for a grand and would if they offer this as a kit for anything more than $500.

19 hours ago, Bremon said:

I’d argue this is a bigger gaffe than the table saw; that table saw does everything you’d want in a table saw short of run a dado stack. This seems much more limited. 

I'm not picking on the table saw for underperforming, but a 10in 120v is clearly the lion share of the market. 

A 12-14in 120v cutoff would be a massive hit in the professional sector. No gas, and the electric options pop breakers like bubble gum on the job as soon as you add an extension cord. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm not picking on the table saw for underperforming, but a 10in 120v is clearly the lion share of the market. 

A 12-14in 120v cutoff would be a massive hit in the professional sector. No gas, and the electric options pop breakers like bubble gum on the job as soon as you add an extension cord. 

Apparently they're going to have another new tool at World of Concrete so maybe they're saving the 12" for then.