Milwaukee Billet Torpedo Level

HiltiWpg

Bought this little guy and I have to say I am pretty disappointed.

The level is one of the most expensive smaller levels out there, and the quality is pretty shoddy.

The grind on the edges is pretty inconsistent and the level isn’t true.

I compared this to 4 others in Home Depot and picked it because it seemed to be the best one of the bunch.

Suffice to say, it’s getting returned.1b9a500a4c14418af47cd53fd1d4f0ff.jpgf0cab323e0024a5602e8f99b6cca1961.jpgee22743382c28c60bd5bfee636fb3af8.jpg58e0704c5ad0e164655bb23c4c235420.jpg23808c37de372ed818acc112c535a8e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen this same issue posted before on Instagram, I'm staying far away from milwaukee levels because of it and because the "redstick" ones are much more expensive than a comparable Empire model. You'd think with TTI owning Empire they'd be consistent in the manufacturing. I've never seen this issue pop up on a Empire level.

• Like 1

The little Greenlee has been my go to pipe level for a few years, I am sure it’s made by Empire.
I was actually pretty excited about the Milwaukee. Too bad, for the hefty price tag, it’s a paperweight.
I keep wanting to give Milwaukee a chance, but I keep getting stuff like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen this same issue posted before on Instagram, I'm staying far away from milwaukee levels because of it and because the "redstick" ones are much more expensive than a comparable Empire model. You'd think with TTI owning Empire they'd be consistent in the manufacturing. I've never seen this issue pop up on a Empire level.

Do you have a link to that Instagram post?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may be remembering incorrectly, I thought there were some major bubble issues but all I can find are these couple of posts from Toolaholic about it and it doesn’t seem that bad. Still a level shouldn’t be doing what his is, but it’s nowhere near as off as I recalled it being.

• Like 1

Not stupid question.
You don't even have to look at the other level.

If a level is flipped over, the bubble should read the same both ways. If you look at the last two pictures, the Milwaukie's bubble is off the line in the first picture, but it is on the line in the second picture. If it is on the same surface in the same place, the bubble should be in the same place relative to the lines.

• Like 1

Ok, now I see it. Being computer illiterate, I didn't realize they were videos. When I buy a piece of equipment, I don't buy from a company that specializes in something else. My truck is a ford, not a Nissan. My power tools are Milwaukee, not Chicago, my hunting dog is a German shorthaired pointer, not a shitzu, my levels are Stabila, not Milwaukee. I get companies want to make more money and they expand in order to do that, but Milwaukee bought Empire and they make damn good levels. Why make levels to compete with a company they just bought?

Ok, now I see it. Being computer illiterate, I didn't realize they were videos. When I buy a piece of equipment, I don't buy from a company that specializes in something else. My truck is a ford, not a Nissan. My power tools are Milwaukee, not Chicago, my hunting dog is a German shorthaired pointer, not a shitzu, my levels are Stabila, not Milwaukee. I get companies want to make more money and they expand in order to do that, but Milwaukee bought Empire and they make damn good levels. Why make levels to compete with a company they just bought?

Not really sure where you are going with that.
TTI buying Empire is precisely why I bought the Milwaukee.
I expected similar quality.
Shame on me!

My Stabila levels are always my go to levels, but until they make a pipe level for the electricians, I am stuck.

3 hours ago, Bmill25 said:

+1 on the GSP great dogs I miss my pointer puppy had her 17 years. Got her my freshman year of high school

• Like 1