Dewalt vs Bostitch brad nailer advice

rtflores

Hello everyone- I am new to the forum. I need advice on a brad nailer and compressor combo: 
Dewalt: $179 18g brad nailer with pancake compressor 165psi
https://tinyurl.com/ycruc8mo

Bostitch: $200 18 g and 16 g brad nailers and staple gun with pancake compressor 150psi
https://tinyurl.com/yanf9k4m

I've just picked up woodworking as a hobby this year. Mainly, small furniture, home audio speakers, and small diy/home improvements around the house. I've slowly been adding tools in my small garage workshop. This year, I'm in the market for a brad nailer. The choices above are both good deals from what I've seen so far. I have great experience with dewalt (table saw, router, sander) however with $20 more, I get a 16g brad and a stapler gun. I'm not familiar with bostitch but the reviews seems pretty good. This will be more of a weekend use tool and not for every day use and would like to have my tools still working for years to come. And that is my concern with bostitch which i am unfamiliar with. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
rtflores

Bostitch/DeWalt same parent company(Stanley Black & Decker) and chances are both compressors where made on the exact same assembly line.  I have a couple year old version of the Bostitch and use it often to roof, frame, trim, and fill tires, it's served me well.  SBD overlaps many of their tool lines and this is just another example, generally the DeWalt brand is their "pro" construction and wood working line and Bostitch is their "better" pneumatic nailer line.  I personally would go for the package that offers more for the money in this case the Bostitch, I'd also have you look at a Porter Cable kit( again, same company) to see if you can get more for the money.

81rA41APHwL._SL1500_.jpg Product Image 1

• 4 months later...

I'm a professional carpenter and have a bostich nail gun(16 ga) along with the 6 gallon oval compressor on wheels. I needed something smaller and portable instead of lugging my 20 gallon pulley compressor around on small jobs and Menard's had this kit for a really good price over 15 years ago. The compressor has hundreds of hours on it and the nailer has had tens of thousands of nails through it with absolutely zero issues, save the regulator doesn't work correctly and you have to manually stop the pump if you want lower air pressure. I killed a Hitachi gun in the mean time and have been running a PC 16 ga as well. The PC is a bit easier to use, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bostich guns.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago.  After researching compressors I decided to go with a quiet compressor from California Air Tools and buy nailers separately.  The quiet compressors cost more but they sure are nice to use due to the reduced noise level.

• 2 years later...

Up for grabs. Trying to decide between Bostitch and DeWalt 18 GA brad nailers. The decision point is the ready availability of brads. It seems that our local stores are more likely to carry DeWalt than Bostitch. Yet the Bostitch tends to edge out DeWalt in most of the reviews and comparisons. Yes I can order either brand brads on Amazon, but I'd like to be able to run up to the store and get something immediately if needed.

This makes me lean toward DeWalt...unless any 18GA brad by any manufacturer (like DeWalt) is going to work in the Bostitch nailer.

Any thoughts?

@Jon H I have used Bostitch nailers and from my experience they were prone to jamming. I haven't used brad nailers from DeWALT. The nailers I have used from DeWALT work ok. If I had to go with a pneumatic brad nailer I would go with Grex, Cadex, Senco, or Paslode and just order extra nails to have on supply.

• 5 months later...
On 3/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, Jon H said:

Up for grabs. Trying to decide between Bostitch and DeWalt 18 GA brad nailers. The decision point is the ready availability of brads. It seems that our local stores are more likely to carry DeWalt than Bostitch. Yet the Bostitch tends to edge out DeWalt in most of the reviews and comparisons. Yes I can order either brand brads on Amazon, but I'd like to be able to run up to the store and get something immediately if needed.

This makes me lean toward DeWalt...unless any 18GA brad by any manufacturer (like DeWalt) is going to work in the Bostitch nailer.

Any thoughts?

The brad nails are interchangeable. If you turn the lights down low and play some Lionel Ritchie while putting in the brads your nailer won’t notice the difference.

• Like 1