Sawstop table saw or learn to write left handed

sadfkjnbb

Having had a close call with my Delta table saw the other day has got me thining about getting a Sawstop. Anyone here have one? I have looked at the PCS and the Contractors saw and besides the cabinet base its hard to tell if the extra money is worth it for the PCS over the contractors saw. If I do pull the trigger this would be my end game for table saws so right now I am leaning twards the PCS but not sure if it makes sense.

I have the Sawstop CNS175TGP36 contractor saw. The saw is sealed down below. Absolutely love my saw. Guys are going to start talking smack. Regardless what they say, it’s an beautiful saw. The guy who locked the pat is an a hole no doubt but it is a phenomenal machine worth every penny. Super powerful, quiet. Dust collection when set up is phenomenal. I’m going to switch out the stamped steel wings at some point for cast iron. 

33 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I have the Sawstop CNS175TGP36 contractor saw. The saw is sealed down below. Absolutely love my saw. Guys are going to start talking smack. Regardless what they say, it’s an beautiful saw. The guy who locked the pat is an a hole no doubt but it is a phenomenal machine worth every penny. Super powerful, quiet. Dust collection when set up is phenomenal. I’m going to switch out the stamped steel wings at some point for cast iron. 

The dust collection on the contractors saw was my biggest concern, glad to hear its not an open based. After pricing it out with cast iron wings, a moblie base, and upgraded fence its about $1000 to 1400 over an equivelent saw from someone else without the safety feature. That $1400 is worth every penny to me so long as I don't have to learn to tie my boots with one hand.IMG_20170909_165109.thumb.jpg.738799e93c2d365faa9c70d1d18a3449.jpg

Ouch.  I'm really glad that you've still got all of your fingers.  I've been staring longingly at a Sawstop for years, but I just don't have room for a table saw. Personally, I won't even consider buying a saw without the tech.  Regardless of how much I might dislike the guy that invented the system, it works and from friends that have one, I can second the testimony that they are really amazing machines.

3 hours ago, TheRLB said:

The dust collection on the contractors saw was my biggest concern, glad to hear its not an open based. After pricing it out with cast iron wings, a moblie base, and upgraded fence its about $1000 to 1400 over an equivelent saw from someone else without the safety feature. That $1400 is worth every penny to me so long as I don't have to learn to tie my boots with one hand.IMG_20170909_165109.thumb.jpg.738799e93c2d365faa9c70d1d18a3449.jpg

So....where the saw blade, brake and assembly are located, it’s in an enormous basket like structure. There is a hose that drops down. I bought the dust collection plate that has allowance for various sized hoses (4” in my case). I do not have the over head dust collector, I would like to add it but it’s a pricey set up. I will add it and more likely than not at some point the sliding arm assembly. I would have love to have gone with a cabinet base but alas....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rfwjr said:

Glad you are ok man.  I hear the Sawstop is well built very nice machine.  Most people do not like how the guy went about trying to get the government to force saw manufacturers to use his technology. 

That's mostly the biggest issue most guys have. I think he was surprised when the big tool companies wouldn't license his technology, but it was an issue of cost people want cheap portable table saws they are on sale 89/99 every black friday at hd and lowes.

• Like 2

Love and Respect SawStop technology, BUT (hate) the company, and their ethics. I'm in a predicament, I want to replace my Grizzly table saw, that was sold to me, under false pretenses, knowing there was a issue with it, and later sending me out a "FIX". Do I purchase a SawStop, knowing they are kind of a "scum" company, but like the technology, or do I purchase from LAGUNA, a company that I respect?  

Honesty, the majority of the time, I have the blade guard on, unless I am doing a dado, or a half lap. 

All I know is, I will NEVER purchase another tool from Grizzly!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rfwjr said:

Most people do not like how the guy went about trying to get the government to force saw manufacturers to use his technology. 

I was unaware that’s how it went down, not cool.

18 hours ago, DR99 said:

people want cheap portable table saws they are on sale 89/99 every black friday at hd and lowes.

Thats where I was when I bought the Delta saw I have now, a good saw for a cheap price. In over 25 years of working and playing around with power tools of all sorts I’ve had a few close calls and quite a few cuts and scrapes (nail through the hand, cuts from a chop saw blade exploding , diamond blade chunk in the shin bone from a concrete saw blade, sheet metal cut to the bone on foot to name a few) but it wasn’t until this last one that it hit me “quite literally” that I need to be careful or I could be a one armed banjo player. Now money is second to making sure if I have an itch I can still scratch it.

23 hours ago, ChrisK said:

So....where the saw blade, brake and assembly are located, it’s in an enormous basket like structure. There is a hose that drops down. I bought the dust collection plate that has allowance for various sized hoses (4” in my case). I do not have the over head dust collector, I would like to add it but it’s a pricey set up. I will add it and more likely than not at some point the sliding arm assembly. I would have love to have gone with a cabinet base but alas....

Does it come with a plate for a normal shop vac connection?

The sliding arm setup looks awesome but all the add ons sure add up fast

22 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I have run cabinet saws from Saw Stop, Delta, Jet , Shop fox etc As long as they have a good blade on them and are maintained I could never tell the difference.  With Saw stop you are paying for the skin sensing technology, and its up to you to decide if its worth it.

I do like the SawStop on/off switch on their cabinet models. The blade raise mechanism is very smooth too.

34 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I do like the SawStop on/off switch on their cabinet models. The blade raise mechanism is very smooth too.

Most of the newer cabinet saws have the large Stop buttons. I prefer a stop that I can hit with my knee.  I used to work at a shop with 10 Saw Stops and over time a lot of the mounting brackets broke that hold the On / OFF switches. Again over time the a lot of the blade raise lower mechanisms got very stiff. I can't blame the saws for that though as maintenance was dismal.

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2017 at 6:55 PM, WigWagWorkshop said:

Love and Respect SawStop technology, BUT (hate) the company, and their ethics. I'm in a predicament, I want to replace my Grizzly table saw, that was sold to me, under false pretenses, knowing there was a issue with it, and later sending me out a "FIX". Do I purchase a SawStop, knowing they are kind of a "scum" company, but like the technology, or do I purchase from LAGUNA, a company that I respect?  

Honesty, the majority of the time, I have the blade guard on, unless I am doing a dado, or a half lap. 

All I know is, I will NEVER purchase another tool from Grizzly!

I would like to get a Laguna. But a new table saw is pretty far down the list of new tools for me....

• Like 1

my dream saw is a top of the line Sliding table saw from the likes of Felder or whoever else makes the "Felder style" of saw. Some lower end saws like SawStop have a sliding table which provides similar function and looks similar but it's just not the same. Felders, Martins, etc. are on a whole different level. Their price makes a $6000 SawStop look cheap.

• Like 1