Why does Milwaukee think they should get such a premium for its fuel braking angle grinder

Biggie

Like the title says, why does Milwaukee think they should get such a premium price for it braking angle grinder.  I know they have people a lot smarter than me that come up with pricing but it just seems to be out of line with the rest of the braking cordless grinder market.  I usually find Milwaukee bare tools to be pretty reasonably priced and I would say their non braking brushless fuel grinder is/was a decent price at $170.  Maybe when the braking model first came out it was worth an extra $50, but now its pretty much a standard safety feature for a grinder to have a brake.  Makitas 18v, along with Dewalts 60v and new 20v brushless grinder all have brakes and are priced under $180 but for some reason milwaukee still thinks we should shell out $220 for the braking model.  I'm not really in need of another grinder at the moment but if I found a decent price on one I might try it, I just can't see paying that much more for the feature. 

If I had to guess, I'd say "because people will pay for it."

Companies charge what they charge because the market supports it.  If they see customers not buying their tools, they lower the prices. If people keep paying their asking prices, well then there isn't much reason for them to make them to lower their profit margin.  

The only alternative is for some governing body to say something like "All angle grinders must have brakes" and then there would be no market for the non-braking grinders.  I suspect that an edict like that, while it would might decrease accidents, could also raise prices and would certainly rub people the wrong way in much the same way as any safety regulation.  In other words, the "Why do I have to pay more for my <insert tool name here>, I've never cut off my finger / broken an arm / shot a nail into my leg / gotten cancer from breathing in dust, etc.?" crowd would object vehemently.

If I had to guess, I'd say "because people will pay for it."

Companies charge what they charge because the market supports it..

They will charge what the market will bear.

Milwaukee knows how to market, but eventually people will wise up and prices will come down. They charge too much for an average tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did hear something about brakes going to be required by osha but that's just hearsay. Milwaukee is a bunch of goofballs who seem to know how to effectively market. They're gambling that people won't switch battery platforms to save $50. That and there was (correct me if I'm wrong) a decent amount of time between the two versions of the grinders being released. When they released the fuel initially they were the only one of the big four with a brushless grinder and DeWalt didn't have one until a couple months ago. So there wasn't a different brand to go to. The price differential just made sense when it was released. Now it doesn't make sense for the non braking to even exist.

If it was far and away superior in every way I can see the justification of a much higher price.....kind of like the way Hilti feels about their tools, they are superior and the price reflects that,  Now is it really worth that price difference , that’s a question for the buyer to ask themselves...but the tool itself is much better.