olletsocmit

Replacing Old Fence Rails?

I am replacing some of my rotted fence rails. They are 11 foot rails and the few that I did went in pretty easy (I had to do a little cutting at the ends and some shaping on a few). My issue is that some sections of my fans are not 11 feet, they are smaller.

I am looking for advice on how to cut down the 11 foot rails to fit the smaller sections and look decent. I started to make one with my sawzall but it did not look great and used almost an entire M18 5.0 battery. I was thinking maybe using a tablesaw but I’m really not sure.

701aee8210bb65c7e8af21b1482bfd28.jpg

85a8d832573339b8884a647cb930d82c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus | Tapatalk

I can't tell, does each section have 4 sides or is it 3 sides.  Can't tell if it's a 4x4 on an angle and then the ends are cut smaller to fit the posts.

I can't tell, does each section have 4 sides or is it 3 sides.  Can't tell if it's a 4x4 on an angle and then the ends are cut smaller to fit the posts.

Each one has 3 sides. They are standard 11’ fence rails

OK, I think I see now.  One end is already cut, you just need to cut it down to size and then shape the end to fit into the post.  

I am not sure how thick it is but can you use a circular saw and cut the wedge?  

OK, I think I see now.  One end is already cut, you just need to cut it down to size and then shape the end to fit into the post.  

I am not sure how thick it is but can you use a circular saw and cut the wedge?  

I tried the sawzall and it did not work well, that’s a great idea. I will try to use my Fuel M18 circular saw tomorrow.