Veritas Planes

jtkendall

I've heard of Lee Valley and Veritas over the last couple of years following woodworkers on Instagram and Youtube but only decided to look at the website today. Holy crap their planes are expensive, I'm sure they are well worth the money but it's very easy to end up in the quadruple digits. :lol: Anyone own any Veritas planes? Which ones? Do you find yourself using them more than you thought you would?

I'm going to pick up the miniature shoulder plane and miniature cabinet scraper or maybe the full size cabinet scraper, since it's an inexpensive way to get started and I think they'll be the most helpful for now.

I have the apron plane and it is awesome. I just purchased the cabinet scraper. It will be here on Monday.

Are you sure about getting the mini planes? I would hold off and start with the apron plane. It's my favorite plane and I use it all of the time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Are you sure about getting the mini planes?

My thinking behind the mini planes are that the shoulder plane would be perfect for the sized dado's I need to make for an upcoming project. The cabinet scraper I'm less set on since it's only available in one large size and it's only $30 more, I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about the idea tomorrow.

My thinking behind the mini planes are that the shoulder plane would be perfect for the sized dado's I need to make for an upcoming project. The cabinet scraper I'm less set on since it's only available in one large size and it's only $30 more, I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about the idea tomorrow.
They show a mini cabinet scraper on there. A card scraper will do the same thing. The cabinet scraper just keeps it flatter so you don't dog in as easily and leave a dent.

What kind of project will you be doing where that sized dado is made and would need to be cleaned up?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

They show a mini cabinet scraper on there.

Yeah, sorry I meant that my decision between the miniature one and the full size one hadn't been 100% decided on. The fact that the cabinet scraper has handles and looks less intimidating to me is my main reason for considering it over the card scraper. I've never used a card scraper and messing up a piece is something that I'm worried about.

I've got a box that I'm going to be doing an inlay in for a Christmas present, the straight bit for my router does a fairly decent job with dado's but I want to make sure it's nice and flat.

18 minutes ago, jtkendall said:

Yeah, sorry I meant that my decision between the miniature one and the full size one hadn't been 100% decided on. The fact that the cabinet scraper has handles and looks less intimidating to me is my main reason for considering it over the card scraper. I've never used a card scraper and messing up a piece is something that I'm worried about.

I've got a box that I'm going to be doing an inlay in for a Christmas present, the straight bit for my router does a fairly decent job with dado's but I want to make sure it's nice and flat.

I wouldn't be intimidated by card scrapers. I bought the Lie Nielsen card scrapers and they are great tools. Think it was like $20 for the pair.