Is factory reconditioned tools a good buy?

Wesley S.

I know different people are going to have different opinions.  I personally buy them sometimes if they're a tool that I need/want but won't use very often. All the reconditioned tools I have look and acted like new.  I personally won't buy a reconditioned battery and I don't think the pricing on tool kits are good enough to chance getting a dud battery.  The only way I buy them is as a bare tool.  I've found on CPO the pricing can be all over the board on the same tool so you have to kind of watch what you're buying and look for a deal.  I bought a recon corded sds hammerdrill for $90. I've seen it as low as $80 and as high as $150 in the last year but it always says it's a top seller.  

• Thanks 1

I bought two Milwaukee recon tools and they both had issues with the forward and reverse buttons. One slid back and forth with no pressure needed. I pretty much had to hold the selector while pressing the trigger. The other was completely backwards.  They also both had the previous owners name scratched into the side.  I’ll just buy new. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jronman said:

I haven't tried recon tools before but I am looking into Festool Recon. Each recon tool has been certified by Festool to be in working condition. Places like CPO has recon but not sure how good they are. @Wesley S. recon might be a good option to upgrade from a diy brand to a pro brand.

I bought a disc sander from Dewalt CPO that works like a champ, got a steal on it too as for Festool Recon I bought the DTS 400 and you wouldn't even know its a recon

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know what kind of budget you're working but if I were in the market for a milwaukee circular saw I would consider the 2731 with a 9.0 battery and rapid charger.  I've seen the package deal as low as $240.  It really is a good value especially since even a recon 2731 is $160.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Biggie stated, the 2731 with 9.0 battery is a great deal.  Home Depots in my area had a hard time selling the leftover kits last year; I paid $225 for mine but the price ended up dropping to $180 a couple of months later.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve. Ought a lot of reconditioned tools, from cpo.
1 time a nailer failed after 6 months.
1 time there were some scuffs on a piece. Not bad though.
Overall 99% looked brand new and worked like new.

Check the site often. As said before, prices are all over. I bought the DeWalt weed eater for $109. Next day it was $150.
That’s just an example. I see it in a lot of tools.
Not uncommon for me to type DeWalt 20v reconditioned in the search, just to see what they have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a Bosch 4.5 amp SDS for $104.00 shipped. I use one of these drills about three times a year and for 100 bucks, it suddenly became worth owning. If it lasts the year, I break even. If I get multiple years out of it, total win. I have a job setting a vinyl fence in a hurricane zone coming up and a deck going into foundation, so it's going to pay for itself immediately.

• 3 months later...

I think all recons might not be created equal. It may depend on who is selling it or who reconditioned it and whether it has a minimum warranty. If it works out of the box it is probably going to last. I have only bought a couple of recons and never saw something as bad as those Milwaukees. Where did they come from? Remind me not to buy there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk