Cordless drill recommendation (woodworking / kreg jig)

Yannis

Thanks Brian,

I finished dismantling the layout... must have unscrewed a few pounds of screws... the battery performance of the 796 was/is GREAT!

Many thanks everyone for the precious advice and help. Much appreciated. Though it seems i must have caught some sort of tool-bug... i am looking at other power tools now :).

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 1:50 AM, Yannis said:

@D W True about the brushless special :). It is my first brushless tool so ...

To be honest with you, i tried pulling the trigger 100 times yesterday w/o load and it never stuck... go figure a problem i cannot replicate. Ah well i guess it adds to the character of the tool.

I haven't tried the hammer action yet. W/o load i cannot understand any difference, and so far i am working only on wood projects. Will do so soon...

If the trigger/electronics are already giving you fits and its not too big of an issue to take it back and exchange it I would.  I don't know why some brushless tools seem to have more issues than others but in my experience it never really gets better and usually the ones that have issues only seem to get worse in time.  I wouldn't be afraid to get the exact same drill, it just seems like there are some brushless lemons out there from all the manufactures.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yannis said:

Though it seems i must have caught some sort of tool-bug... i am looking at other power tools now :).

It's addictive.  Buying some of the latest and greatest cordless tools can easily lead us down a path we never thought we'd take.  I'd argue that we live in an age that is only rivaled (in terms of tools) by the transition from hand-powered tools to corded and pneumatic tools.  Modern battery and tool technology have cut the cord for most portable jobsite tools.  Let's face it, cords can be hazardous and annoying.  While not perfect for every application, cordless tools permit relative freedom.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

If the trigger/electronics are already giving you fits and its not too big of an issue to take it back and exchange it I would

Unfortunately I can't. Its imported from the USA. I may contact Makita to see if they can fix it (I pay), or i'll sell it cheap on Ebay (sell as faulty).

Thanks for the heads up about not getting better. I'll start looking into these two options soon.

I have two identical m18 impact wrenches 2655. One works flawlessly and one would have a random dead trigger.  At first it wasn't very often and it wasn't a big deal.  Now a few years later it happens much more often and is annoying when you get everything lined up and pull the trigger and there's nothing there.  Its not the end of the world I would just say if you don't have to deal with it, I wouldn't. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm, you got me worried a bit. It is not that I get a dead trigger. The trigger locks in a very few cases where I tried to unscrew Philips head screws.  I cannot seem to replicate the issue no matter how many times I pull the trigger to test. Today I drilled a few pocket holes without the slightest issue. That is why I am puzzled.

1 hour ago, Yannis said:

Hmm, you got me worried a bit. It is not that I get a dead trigger. The trigger locks in a very few cases where I tried to unscrew Philips head screws.  I cannot seem to replicate the issue no matter how many times I pull the trigger to test. Today I drilled a few pocket holes without the slightest issue. That is why I am puzzled.

While I unfortunately cannot offer advice or insight about your drill, the problem does remind me of intermittant issues with vehicles and forklifts when I was a mechanic.  While stuff like a phantom drain could be somewhat simple to trace, intermittant issues were almost always a pain.  Some customers at the Cadillac dealership would come in multiple times, yet my co-workers and I would be unable to replicate the issue.  Things were a little easier with fork trucks, since I could cordon off an area and borderline abuse the equipment to try to find the problem.  

Hopefully your drill just needs to be broken in.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Brian,

Drill day today, no trigger issues. Managed to overload the drill with some strange pine board that i tried to drill with the kreg jig. Pressure + prolonged burst + battery at 1 bar (out of 3), made the drill to lower the rpm (overheating protection on the battery/drill or something?) for some time. Fresh battery on, rpm back to normal and the pine gave way :).

• 5 months later...