Can someone tell me the difference.

builditguy

Currently we have the 6 1/2" 20v circular saws.  They are getting the job done, but not the fastest saw in the world.  I am considering getting the 7 1/4" circular saws to replace them.  I can't seem to find any head to head comparisons.  

I'm not looking for depth of cut or weight comparisons.  More like, yes it's worth it, saw does much better.  Or no, no significant difference in power.

I can always upgrade to the Flexvolt.  The reviews on it are great.  Since we don't have any flexvolt, for now I would prefer to stick with the 20v, just because it is easier.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, builditguy said:

Currently we have the 6 1/2" 20v circular saws.  They are getting the job done, but not the fastest saw in the world.  I am considering getting the 7 1/4" circular saws to replace them.  I can't seem to find any head to head comparisons.  

I'm not looking for depth of cut or weight comparisons.  More like, yes it's worth it, saw does much better.  Or no, no significant difference in power.

I can always upgrade to the Flexvolt.  The reviews on it are great.  Since we don't have any flexvolt, for now I would prefer to stick with the 20v, just because it is easier.

Thanks.

I'm sure someone will give a more valid opinion based on actual use, but I've heard good things about the new 20v Max 7-1/4" saw.  I have the 6-1/2" kit version but use my Fuel saw almost exclusively.

From what I have heard go flex if possible. I have never used either but from what I have seen the flex is a beast. No 18v saw can beat it. Only one other flex and two Makita x2 saws can compete with it. From   what I have heard the 20v saw is DeWALTs best 20v saw ever but many guys feel it would have been better suited in a 6 in blade left configuration. You won't be disappointed with either.

I insist on blade left.

I put a FV battery on my 6 1/2 20v max saw.

The difference is remarkable. It's like putting on a brand new blade when you're used to cutting with a worn out demo blade.

You can really tell the difference on long rips. Higher rpm, more power.

Before any geniuses pipe up about 20 volts is 20 volts, just shut up.

It's a different saw when you put a flexvolt battery on it. The same is true for the 20v miter saw.

It's easier to buy a battery than it is to get used to having the blade on the wrong side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mordekyle said:

I insist on blade left.

I put a FV battery on my 6 1/2 20v max saw.

The difference is remarkable. It's like putting on a brand new blade when you're used to cutting with a worn out demo blade.

You can really tell the difference on long rips. Higher rpm, more power.

Before any geniuses pipe up about 20 volts is 20 volts, just shut up.

It's a different saw when you put a flexvolt battery on it. The same is true for the 20v miter saw.

It's easier to buy a battery than it is to get used to having the blade on the wrong side.

1) It's well known that higher Ah packs produce more power in certain cordless tools. 

2) The flexvolt wormdrive style is blade left, and is the one most of us are recommending, as is shown in the video above. 

I appreciate everyone's input.  I have watched several reviews of the flexvolt wormdrive style.  I have also read alot of reviews.  It does seem like the best cordless saw.

Probably the way I should go.  

We have been using the 6 1/2 for about 1 1/2 years, exclusively.  I took out my corded 7 1/4" about 6 months ago.  Then I found out I was the only one that still had a corded circular saw in my truck.  For the most part we only do remodeling.  The 6 1/2" has gotten by just fine.  But then I pulled out the corded saw and there was such a difference.  Made me realize what I was missing, as far as power goes.  It also made me realize what a pain cords are.  You don't think about it when you are used to them.

I dont have a ton to add for your original question.  I do have both the 6 1/2" 20V blade left  and the original 7 1/4" flexvolt blade right saw.  While the 7 1/4" 20V may be better then the 6 1/2", there is no possible way it can come to any close comparison to the flexvolt saw.  The flexvolt truly has NEAR corded power.  The only time ive had it bog down is cutting stair horses.  Those horses can really pinch a blade sometimes.  other then that, NEVER miss a cord with the flexvolt

As just a side note, and i guess to stir the pot a little before christmas, I still find it very odd the number of people that refuse to use a blade right saw....?   I'm not a full time carpenter, but raised by one that has 50 years of experience.  He taught me to cut with either hand, looking in front of the blade, behind the blade, cutting upside down, etc......Being from the midwest, i have literally used one  full sized blade left saw on a job .  Is this more of a regional thing where blade left saws are more popular in some areas and sidewinders in others?  I dont mean this as an insult to anyone, this is just an honest question as I see these comments come up quite often

I feel like it’s a personal preference. I’ve never used a blade left saw and have been using the 7 1/4” flexvolt for some time now. Maybe right handed people would feel more comfortable as your line of sight would increase but as long as you’re standing behind or on top of your saw you’re fine 

I dont have a ton to add for your original question.  I do have both the 6 1/2" 20V blade left  and the original 7 1/4" flexvolt blade right saw.  While the 7 1/4" 20V may be better then the 6 1/2", there is no possible way it can come to any close comparison to the flexvolt saw.  The flexvolt truly has NEAR corded power.  The only time ive had it bog down is cutting stair horses.  Those horses can really pinch a blade sometimes.  other then that, NEVER miss a cord with the flexvolt

As just a side note, and i guess to stir the pot a little before christmas, I still find it very odd the number of people that refuse to use a blade right saw....?   I'm not a full time carpenter, but raised by one that has 50 years of experience.  He taught me to cut with either hand, looking in front of the blade, behind the blade, cutting upside down, etc......Being from the midwest, i have literally used one  full sized blade left saw on a job .  Is this more of a regional thing where blade left saws are more popular in some areas and sidewinders in others?  I dont mean this as an insult to anyone, this is just an honest question as I see these comments come up quite often

I think blade left is a left coast thing.

I have never seen a blade right saw (before the FV) on a jobsite. I think the prevailing attitude is blade right is for homeowners.

If corded, skilsaw mag77 rules here. Other worm drives are used, as are blade left cordless saws.

Again, I appreciate the input.  

Regarding blade right vs. blade left.  I really think it depends what you are used to.  For over 20 years, I used blade right.  The 6 1/2" is the first blade left I've ever had.  Once you get used to it, it's fine.  Once you get used to the blade right, it's fine.  

I would like to get my hands on a DeWalt worm drive style, just to feel the balance.  It's really a personal preference thing and a getting used to it thing.  At one point I worked with a guy that used a Skil 77.  It was tough to get used to.  One thing I'll never forget.  When he got done cutting a board, he would let go of the saw.  The saw would drop to the sub-floor as he walked away with the board.  He was so rough on that saw.  At that time, he probably had it for 40 years.  

8 hours ago, Mordekyle said:

I think blade left is a left coast thing.

I have never seen a blade right saw (before the FV) on a jobsite. I think the prevailing attitude is blade right is for homeowners.

If corded, skilsaw mag77 rules here. Other worm drives are used, as are blade left cordless saws.

Yeah i'm sure it must be a regional thing....cause i'm from Illinois, and i literally grew up on jobsites, and basically every contractor i knew/know uses a blade right sidewinder.  Of course the most experience I have is with my father, who worked on very high end custom homes before retiring, and never saw a blade left saw on any of those jobs.  I guess thats whats good about having options, you can use what you want

@builditguy...I’m a framer of custom homes over 30 yrs...you say your getting by with a 6 1/2 blade left remodeling. If you don’t need all the power the 60v flex saws will give you ,just get the new 20v circ ( but get the new one with the rafter hook). 

...personally I’m right handed and love blade right, don’t know anyone that uses blade left ,but it’s a personal thing. You can’t explain to people why , they get upset. But if I showed you why a right handed guy should use blade right you’d agree, 

....I have the new 577 blade left for the POWA ..if it came blade right I would of got that one. ......the 20v circ is fine for many uses, .ripping stock or stair stringers or other heavy duty use you’d want the 575 or 577....there is no cordless saw equal to the 575..the makita rear handle is closer but not equal..and nothing comes close to the 577..nothing

It didn't really start with the left or right blade. The regional thing tends to be more about the sidewinder versus the worm drive. It just so happens that most of the sidewinders started out with the blade on the right and the worm drives with the blade on the left. Explaining how the 6 1/2" cordless tended to end up blade left instead of right is the curiosity to me. Apparently it was midwest made Skil's 77 out west and Porter-Cables from Connecticut

Either way I prefer to have both left and right blade saws available to me. I always want the big part of the shoe on the well supported wood, while the small part is over the cut off. For a long time that meant 6 1/2" cordless for left and 7 1/4" corded for right. Now that I have a track saw (DeWALT corded) as well as the 7 1/4" DeWALT 20V Max blade right saw and a 6 1/2" DeWALT blade left saws I am pondering parting ways with my Milwaukee Tilt-Lock saw (I am surprised they never put that feature on their cordless saws). I haven't tried the new 7 1/4" cordless saw yet, but I have a feeling that right after New Years it  will start cutting a little bit.

13 hours ago, Framer joe said:

@builditguy...I’m a framer of custom homes over 30 yrs...you say your getting by with a 6 1/2 blade left remodeling. If you don’t need all the power the 60v flex saws will give you ,just get the new 20v circ ( but get the new one with the rafter hook). 

...personally I’m right handed and love blade right, don’t know anyone that uses blade left ,but it’s a personal thing. You can’t explain to people why , they get upset. But if I showed you why a right handed guy should use blade right you’d agree, 

....I have the new 577 blade left for the POWA ..if it came blade right I would of got that one. ......the 20v circ is fine for many uses, .ripping stock or stair stringers or other heavy duty use you’d want the 575 or 577....there is no cordless saw equal to the 575..the makita rear handle is closer but not equal..and nothing comes close to the 577..nothing

I’m curious about you showing why right handed should use blade right. I’m right handed and use blade right but I’ve never used blade left. 

18 hours ago, Framer joe said:

...personally I’m right handed and love blade right, don’t know anyone that uses blade left ,but it’s a personal thing. You can’t explain to people why , they get upset. But if I showed you why a right handed guy should use blade right you’d agree

Don't the majority of framers use worm drive saws, and aren't the majority of them left blade?   What have you been using through the years?