DeWalt Side Strike Chisels

fm2176

Anyone have these?  The three piece set was sold at Home Depot earlier this year, but now only a single size is sold for $10.  These are the made in China chisels, not the Sheffield ones still sold at HD for $30.

I found the 3-piece set at Ollie's Bargain Outlet in Georgia for $15 a few weeks ago and am thinking about picking up a set if they have them here in VA.  Are they worth the price for beaters?

• Like 1

Worth it for me.

I don't use the serrated side, but I hit the flat side of it with a hammer to sink nails hidden behind lap siding. I set sawed off screws with it the other day so I could run my portable planer over a twisted PT post.

It's useful enough to merit a spot in my nailbags, and I don't carry much.

It doesn't hold much of an edge, because I abuse it I've sharpened it once in the last three years.

I think a cheaper chisel would be a mistake. The side strike is indestructible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  I picked a set up last night after seeing that HD still lists them on their website at $25.  As I said in the initial post, these will become my abusees soon enough, but for now they are the only chisels I have consolidated.  I have a few Buck Bros chisels somewhere and hope to find them when I move.

4 hours ago, BMack37 said:

For $15 it''s definitely worth it for beaters, nice deal!

Well, if you have an Ollie's close by, it may be worth a look.  They had plenty in Richmond, VA and Columbus, GA, so I'm fairly certain that they are stocked in most stores.

Ollie's is extremely hit or miss on tools, but when they get something decent it tends to stick around for a while.  A few years ago they had some Husky hand tools and Hitachi power tools.  They also carried Richards prybars; made in Canada and supposedly the manufacturer of Snap-On's paint scrapers and such.  I kind of went overboard buying the prybars, especially when they cleared them out for as low as $3 each.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fm2176 said:

Well, if you have an Ollie's close by, it may be worth a look.  They had plenty in Richmond, VA and Columbus, GA, so I'm fairly certain that they are stocked in most stores.

Ollie's is extremely hit or miss on tools, but when they get something decent it tends to stick around for a while.  A few years ago they had some Husky hand tools and Hitachi power tools.  They also carried Richards prybars; made in Canada and supposedly the manufacturer of Snap-On's paint scrapers and such.  I kind of went overboard buying the prybars, especially when they cleared them out for as low as $3 each.

One opened about a month ago down the street, I'll stop by tomorrow to check it out...I wasn't really sure what it was.

3 hours ago, BMack37 said:

One opened about a month ago down the street, I'll stop by tomorrow to check it out...I wasn't really sure what it was.

They are kind of like Big Lots in its earlier years; lots of buyouts from other retailers and wholesalers with decent prices.  They carry everything from books to mattresses to cookware.

• Like 1