New Pickup Trucks Coming

Jronman

The next gen Ram 1500, next gen Silverado 1500, revival of the Ford Ranger, and a few new F150 versions are in the works. They were unveiled this last week. What do you guys think. The Ram had a new kind of starter and a 12 in screen which were features that seemed to stand out to me. The Chevy had new liftgate system that not only was power open but power close too. The engines were the most interesting I thought. It had a diesel option and the v8 engines can have up to 7 cylinders deactivate which seems crazy. Not sure how a pickup truck could run on only one cylinder. The Ranger seemed kinda so-so. It was nice to get a new entry into the midsize market but with only one engine option it doesn't seem as good. It had a decent look and I liked where the shifter was located but it didn't have many standout features. There is a diesel f150 coming out which I didn't see any videos of it from the show but Ford's live stream mentioned a hybrid f150 which doesn't seem too exciting at first but it sounded like it had a feature that allowed the truck to become a power source for if you have a power outage and need to power a tv or something.

here are a few videos of the vehicles.

• Like 2

The trend is going thinner and wider headlights. With LED's you don't need as much space and can pretty much make em into any shape. The revamped Jeep Cherokee is one of the best examples. The lights in the front almost look like they forgot to add the main lights.

Guess the Frontier is the last pickup needing an update. Supposedly it is getting one soon but no official announcements yet. Supposedly the Toyota offerings might get new gens soon. They recently had a mid gen refresh but not a completely new gen.

Sorry, but my '06 Sierra is going strong with only 245k on the odometer.  I like renting a newer vehicle on occasion but the prices of trucks are ridiculous, not to even mention the anxiety that comes with every little nick and scratch put on a new vehicle.  I'm better off planning to eventually replace my drivetrain than committing to another vehicle loan, though I plan to eventually pay cash for a newer truck (around 5 years old and under 150k).

That said, new trucks have a lot of bells and whistles that were unheard of when mine came off the assembly line in 2005.  My '06 SLT has everything except the rear tv screens and DVD player, being the top of the line GMC besides the Denali at the time.  Our government owned 2015 Silverado is a basic work truck but has the LCD radio display, while higher trim levels have things that make mine seem archaic.

The one engine/tranny option is a step in the right direction for the ranger. I would have preferred them to be a little more bare bones and low key get trucks. Instead they went full Tacoma on them which I really don't like. Guys need to really get their act together and put at least a small steel area on the top of aluminum bodies so you can still magnet mount accessories. There's nothing like having to open both doors and run a ratchet straps around your roof to keep a beacon on. About an XLT with vinyl floors is my trim level. Trucks are strangely jumping back and forth between being super ugly and solid looking between each year. The new powerstrokes are really solid. Takes a while for them to grow on you but they work well. Pulled pretty much anything under the sun when I had a 2017 at my old job. I don't fit in the new Chevys. The interiors were designed either for smaller folks or people a lot less claustrophobic than me. New Dodges are new Dodges. Only look good with a welding bed or pulling livestock.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 1:04 PM, Stercorarius said:

The one engine/tranny option is a step in the right direction for the ranger. I would have preferred them to be a little more bare bones and low key get trucks. Instead they went full Tacoma on them which I really don't like. Guys need to really get their act together and put at least a small steel area on the top of aluminum bodies so you can still magnet mount accessories. There's nothing like having to open both doors and run a ratchet straps around your roof to keep a beacon on. About an XLT with vinyl floors is my trim level. Trucks are strangely jumping back and forth between being super ugly and solid looking between each year. The new powerstrokes are really solid. Takes a while for them to grow on you but they work well. Pulled pretty much anything under the sun when I had a 2017 at my old job. I don't fit in the new Chevys. The interiors were designed either for smaller folks or people a lot less claustrophobic than me. New Dodges are new Dodges. Only look good with a welding bed or pulling livestock.

What's your height/weight? Hard to imagine they're not built for guys at least 6'3" and 240. I'm 6'1" 230, wide shoulders and long legs, I've never felt cramped in a modern truck, even back to the 90s.

For looks, the 90s GM pickups are probably my favorite (for practical trucks), followed by the 1st gen Ford Raptor. 50s trucks from pretty much everyone are the best looking trucks but they're not practical or comfortable.

2 hours ago, BMack37 said:

What's your height/weight? Hard to imagine they're not built for guys at least 6'3" and 240. I'm 6'1" 230, wide shoulders and long legs, I've never felt cramped in a modern truck, even back to the 90s.

For looks, the 90s GM pickups are probably my favorite (for practical trucks), followed by the 1st gen Ford Raptor. 50s trucks from pretty much everyone are the best looking trucks but they're not practical or comfortable.

Yeah I'm pretty similar sized to you around 6'2" somewhere around 220 lbs. It's hard to describe. Backseats on a crewcab high country were small enough with the seat forward that my boots couldn't pit perpendicular to the seat. In the driver's seat it's like they pushed everything towards you to make you feel bigger but it's just uncomfortable. Somehow hard to see because the windshield almost seemed small. Much preferred the powerstroke. Actually really like the new Ford XLT cabs. Not a fan of the higher end lariat cabs though. It might just be a case of me feeling out of place in high end cabs though.

4 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah I'm pretty similar sized to you around 6'2" somewhere around 220 lbs. It's hard to describe. Backseats on a crewcab high country were small enough with the seat forward that my boots couldn't pit perpendicular to the seat. In the driver's seat it's like they pushed everything towards you to make you feel bigger but it's just uncomfortable. Somehow hard to see because the windshield almost seemed small. Much preferred the powerstroke. Actually really like the new Ford XLT cabs. Not a fan of the higher end lariat cabs though. It might just be a case of me feeling out of place in high end cabs though.

I always have trouble in back seats because I wear size 13 shoes.

Interesting, definitely doesn't sound comfortable. I hate most cars coming out now, visibility is terrible because the A pillars are always huge.

24 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I always have trouble in back seats because I wear size 13 shoes.

Interesting, definitely doesn't sound comfortable. I hate most cars coming out now, visibility is terrible because the A pillars are always huge.

Yeah it also definitely has to do with preference too. I know a lot of truckers who air their seats down to the floor so they can see bare minimum and feel like a badass. I always air my seat up as high as my feet will still reach because I prefer better visibility. The chevy felt like it was designed for guys who put their seat to the floor.

8 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah it also definitely has to do with preference too. I know a lot of truckers who air their seats down to the floor so they can see bare minimum and feel like a badass. I always air my seat up as high as my feet will still reach because I prefer better visibility. The chevy felt like it was designed for guys who put their seat to the floor.

Yeah, that's dumb. I like my eyeline being at about the 3/4 line on the windshield, it gives you a better view of the road AND your own vehicle which is important when parking. I rarely (like once or twice a year) have to stop and reposition when pulling into a spot, been that way since I started driving...first with a full sized pickup and now with a SUV. I HATE not just pulling into a spot, I'm the most impatient parker, I just want to park and get on with my day. 

A lot of new cars sit you lower, like you described, and you can't see where the hood ends to estimate where your bumper is, all you see is the curvature of the hood.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Ranger will likely be my next truck but not until Ford offers it in a “crew” (the interior of which is maybe the size of extended cab Silverado) with a 6’ bed instead of 5’. I’ve seen a few of the new Rams in the wild...they’ll need a few years to grow on me, especially after a decade of the only nice body style Ram has ever made. 

The new Chevy is the nicest they’ve made since the 88-99 style that is such a classic. It looks like a Tundra got knocked up by an F150, but the kid turned out alright lol.

The new Sierra, on the other hand, looks like a rolling disaster and that new tailgate is about the stupidest contraption I’ve seen on a truck, and that’s coming from a guy with a V8 that shuts off cylinders and drinks oil lol.

Ideally though my Silverado will last until the Ranger gets a midcycle enhancement or a new F-150 comes out.

• Like 1

I've seen the new Rams on the road too, the grill looks much more fu manchu than it did in the video. I'm thinking next year I'll be going for a '16 or newer Tundra, seems like easily the best option...unless I consider diesel, then it throws a wrench into the works.

• Like 1

The new Ram had a friend of mine who isn’t a huge truck guy ask “what the hell sort of design Ram was going for with that front end” lol. 

Tundra is a great option for Made in America fans, but it and the Tacoma are I need of a refresh imo. My neighbour has a fairly new Tacoma and it can haul about 2/3rds of what a Colorado/Canyon can. Some beef on the suspension would do it some good. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bremon said:

The new Ram had a friend of mine who isn’t a huge truck guy ask “what the hell sort of design Ram was going for with that front end” lol. 

Tundra is a great option for Made in America fans, but it and the Tacoma are I need of a refresh imo. My neighbour has a fairly new Tacoma and it can haul about 2/3rds of what a Colorado/Canyon can. Some beef on the suspension would do it some good. 

I'd love that because then the market on the current gen Tundras would go down! I really don't need a lot of hauling capability, if anything I could upgrade with aftermarket parts but I doubt I'd ever carry more than a few hundred pounds in the bed or ever hail a full-sized enclosed trailer. I'd probably be fine with the Tacoma but I like a little more cabin room because I'd prefer to haul my tool bags in the cab. I'm even thinking I might pull out the driver-side rear seat and build storage cabinet. 

• Like 1

That sounds pretty nice! I’m hoping Ranger has class leading payload; if it does it will haul as much as my Silverado does in the box in a slightly shorter, slightly narrower truck that’s hopefully significantly better on gas lol. 

I like the new half tons but they are just getting too big for my purposes. The new Silverado is 4” longer. 

• Like 1

I know it’s not a pick up and I am not a Ford guy but the Bronco looks to be pretty sweet. Supposedly it’s built on the still produced Ranger chassis? I can tell you first ha d the my sister in law traded her 96 Ranger for a goat, I kid you not. That truck was still running like a top after 300k. Crazy reliable truck when I cannot I under emphasis how poorly she treated that thing. 

• Like 1

Lol yeah the new bronco I think is an updated version of the T6 global Ranger chassis, while the NA Ranger uses the existing T6 platform. Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure that’s the case. I’m hoping the Ranger will get the 2.7 as an option down the road, and a second wheelbase. The Super crew/short bed combo with a 2.3 doesn’t quite check the boxes for me, but I do like the look of the truck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bremon said:

That sounds pretty nice! I’m hoping Ranger has class leading payload; if it does it will haul as much as my Silverado does in the box in a slightly shorter, slightly narrower truck that’s hopefully significantly better on gas lol. 

I like the new half tons but they are just getting too big for my purposes. The new Silverado is 4” longer. 

Definitely. I liked my '96 T100, perfect size, bed was over 6', extended cab was nice but not too useable. The waist line on trucks is soo high now, the windows look small and the doors are massive. I'd like to be able to fit a sheet of ply flat(with tailgate down, no overhang past) but that makes for a reallly long truck and parking spaces seem to be getting narrower and shorter.

• Like 1

That’s my dilemma now lol; my extended cab will do 8’ sheet goods in the box with tailgate down no problem. A Ranger or Colorado would be a nicer city truck but I’d need to use some dunnage in the box to haul sheets and would still overhang. Colorado not as much, the Ranger would be fairly atrocious lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bremon said:

That’s my dilemma now lol; my extended cab will do 8’ sheet goods in the box with tailgate down no problem. A Ranger or Colorado would be a nicer city truck but I’d need to use some dunnage in the box to haul sheets and would still overhang. Colorado not as much, the Ranger would be fairly atrocious lol. 

I'm mostly city driving which sucks...what's worse is that several places I drive are older which means small lanes, it can be really tight trying to take a right hander with a turn lane in some of those areas. Ironically, in the actual city, downtown, the lanes are plenty wide.

• Like 1

Same here; lots of city driving where a slightly shorter and narrower wheelbase would be ideal. Ford doesn’t want to give me what I want yet though and I don’t want that V6 the Colorado has. My dollars will be waiting until either company changes things up to my liking lol. 

• Like 1