New Makita Impact TD171

Jronman

Wonder what the specs are. The ones on their current 4-speed which I just recently purchased are already out of the park. Although what I really like with it is all the speeds so it isn’t slapping every little screw through the wooden boards they’re going into. Making them smarter seems like the right direction to go with these things.

How practical is having a second trigger to switch power modes.  I find myself accidentally bumping the mode selector enough when they're on the base. If anything I would like it to be harder to switch modes and this looks like it would be prone to being bumped.  How many applications are there where you need to be switching back and forth between modes, for the most part I set the mode and it stays there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an official list of how many impacts Makita has made over the years? They have a serious fetish going on.

This looks nice with plenty of features but it goes so fast that part of me wonders just how much precision you can get out of it on a consistent basis. 

Torques any higher than this really are moving into impact wrench territory. Torture tests where people try to see if these can remove the tires off a semi may get lots of clicks but all that stuff is moving out of the realm of what these things are actually supposed to be used for. Sure in a pinch it’s nice to know if you can. Otherwise if you need impact wrench torque...buy an impact wrench.

• Like 5

Interesting it's not a triple hammer either. I thought this year we'd see a flood of them from all the brands. Not that it needs to be. 

I agree with the comments on torque and rpm. I have a td170, and as a DIY user I may have gotten the wrong tool. It's almost too fast and too powerful, I only use the lowest 2 settings. I probably would have been better off getting the subcompact impact driver. 

Great tools though. Made in Japan quality (this one anyway)! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ToolBane said:

Torques any higher than this really are moving into impact wrench territory. Torture tests where people try to see if these can remove the tires off a semi may get lots of clicks but all that stuff is moving out of the realm of what these things are actually supposed to be used for. Sure in a pinch it’s nice to know if you can. Otherwise if you need impact wrench torque...buy an impact wrench.

Worded way better than my comment about Torque and such.

1 hour ago, aabee said:

Is there an official list of how many impacts Makita has made over the years? They have a serious fetish going on.

I sometimes wonder if they just have multiple teams of people who all just want to do impact drivers so they just have them competing against each other then put them all out on the market just cuz.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ToolBane said:

Spot on. Thats why I think Makita are staying around the 170+NM mark when it comes to impact drivers and just improving the driver for what it is, anything over 200nm you might as well get an impact wrench.

What I would love to see is more R&D put into making oil/pulse/surge impacts more powerful while remaining easy on the ears.

• Like 4