Converted DCF886 to 3/8"

muzz3256

So I converted my DCF886 from 1/4" hex to a 3/8" hog ring impact by swapping the anvil. It was a simple process that tool all of 10 minutes. I'm wanting to use it for automotive repair, anything that I should be wary of or is the swap good to go? I did add new impact lubricant to the new anvil.

• Like 1

Yep I also did an anvil swap on a 886 a couple weeks ago.  After doing the swap I was suprised at just how much power it had.  I was also questioning how the internals would hold up so out of curiosity I got looking at parts diagrams.  Turns out the dcf890 3/8" brushless compact impact wrench, which has 150ft/lbs of torque and cost $180, has identical internals to the dcf886.  So dewalt actually did the same anvil swap guys have been doing for years on the 886 and gave it a new model number.  Still boggles my mind it took them so long to do it.

Impact drivers and compact wrenches typically share some components but if you look at a parts diagram there are usually a quite a few differences.  A lot of them have different size motors, electonics, gearing/impacting mechanisms, nose cones, and anvils.  But in the case of the dcf886 to the dcf890 the only difference is the anvil everything else is the same.

I picked mine up on ebay because I have an ebay account and I was able to save a few bucks because the seller had free shipping.  It is part number 608116-00SV Anvil Assy and it's available at many parts supply stores online ie: ereplacementparts, tool parts direct.  It is the same 3/8" anvil that has been used for years.  Its was used with some older 12v as well as the 18v dc823, 20v brushed dcf883, and 20v brushless dcf890.

• Like 1

Where did you guys order your anvils from I’ve been wanting to do this swap for years and Jimbo has shared with me a few times where he got his but I forget where I write it down lol sign of my old age. So just curious where everyone else is getting parts. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E replacement parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok guys thanks. I finally did it. My 886 with a bad bit holder is now a 3/8 impact wrench. It’s been a long time coming and a special extra thanks to @jimboslice it was as simple as you’ve said the hardest part was to remove the cover which has two stickers that need to be removed or cut down the middle. And the driver has a retaining clip that needs to come out before the head can come out. Literally took less than 5 minuets. I’m so excited can’t wait to use this bad boy. Thanks again the TIACREW rocks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2