Gen 2 M12 drill weight

D W

I'm thinking of selling my faulty Makita subcompact 18V drill and buying into M12 for the new Gen 2 drill (and bonus to have the dual charger for future M18 purchases). 

There's no way I want the drill to be heavier than the Makita, it's role is light duty. The size looks great but I read it's weight is 1.4Kg!

The Dewalt DCD796 18V hammer drill is only 1.6Kg with battery and the subcompact 18V Makita with battery is 1.3Kg. 

Are Milwaukee weight specs usually including battery weight? I hope I've read a figure that includes the large 6.0ah 6 cell battery. Still, that's heavy. 

Weight has pretty much been the only thing that has kept me away from buying Milwaukee. I can't recall ever seeing one of their cordless tools being the lightest in comparisons. 

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, the Gen 2 looks great otherwise. 

Edit: I just read on coptool it is 1.27kg including battery. 

Edited by D W
Found more info

I think Milwaukee is inconsistent on the weighing process. I've never handled the m12 Fuel drill/driver but Milwaukee lists it as being heavier than the hammer version...which seems backwards.

I haven't held the gen 2 yet but if it's 1.27kg with battery, that is amazing. That's the same weight as the Makita, which was noticeably lighter and smaller than the gen 1 Fuel.

BTW 1.27kg is 2.8lbs.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry about the metric, I was in a hurry and couldn't provide both units. 

A good thing about Metabo is they always state after weight "(incl battery)". Its not perfect because they don't say what battery exactly; could be compact 2ah, 5.2ah, 7ah LiHD, who knows. I usually assume it's the battery shown in the photo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D W said:

Yeah sorry about the metric, I was in a hurry and couldn't provide both units. 

A good thing about Metabo is they always state after weight "(incl battery)". Its not perfect because they don't say what battery exactly; could be compact 2ah, 5.2ah, 7ah LiHD, who knows. I usually assume it's the battery shown in the photo. 

Us Americans need to learn the metric system anyway, especially if you're into German tools like I am!

I wish there was a norm; this is how we measure torque, this is weight. Weight listed as bare tools, all batteries have a weight listed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Us Americans need to learn the metric system anyway, especially if you're into German tools like I am!

I wish there was a norm; this is how we measure torque, this is weight. Weight listed as bare tools, all batteries have a weight listed.

Hey, I remember when I was a wee lil squirt and Carter was saying we’d be metric likity split. I wish we were metric.

• Like 1

I just got a gen2 kit and they do have good balance but are on the heavy side for their size. Nothing like a makita design. I guess it’s the trade off for the speed and power and the fulll set of controls and features. I still prefer my Bosch 12v being smaller and lighter tools but these do have a place if you almost need 18v speed or power and don’t mind fat handles. If you’re coming from makita, you’ll most likely think these are too heavy in relation to the size and power. I only own the makita 18v xdt14 impact but it’s a smaller impact head and I don’t know the weight but withe the light weight and good balance in hand it feels lighter than the m12 impact. The m12 feels smaller only if the 3 cell batteries are used. It’s nowhere near as fast under load as the makita. My smallest 18v drill is a Bosch DDS183 and I use it more than even the Bosch 12v drill for extensive work. It has more to do with he ergonomics of the tool handle for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to hear some real feedback about the weight @XTsallaD. I suspected it was going to be kinda heavy (for a 12V).

I've seen one review where they compared the M12 drill to the brushed Bosch 12V flexiclick drill. They kept stating how the M12 is more powerful and more compact (length) but seemed to miss mentioning the weight. Nothing seems to beat Bosch 12V in weight (I've owned the ps31 drill driver and have a ps22 on its way).

It has an all metal chuck and that metal shell is heavy compared to the plastic shell on the Bosch and Makita. The Bosch 12v is tiny in comparison, the motor on the M12 Fuel has to be 20% larger or more! Also I think the Bosch has a 3/8" chuck.

I wish Milwaukee would stop making the M12 brushed drill and replace it with a compact, lightweight drill...smaller motor, plastic shelled chuck(though the 3/8" chuck already weighs less than the 1/2" Fuel chuck). I'm really close to buying into the Bosch 12v line for the size.

• Like 2

Yep, the Bosch is a 3/8 chuck.

Good idea @BMack37, it would be great to have a compact M12 option available as well. I chose Bosch 12V over M12 largely because of the size. If the Gen 2 was out at the time, it would have been harder to chose, but it was a simple choice with the HUGE Gen 1.

I ended up selling my brushed ps31 Bosch 12V drill purely because it didn't have a belt clip and couldn't really stand on the battery. I replaced it with a Makita subcompact. I really should have just glued a piece of perspex to the bottom of the battery so it could stand (which would avoid having the extra weight of the flat bottom 4ah battery).

Maybe I'll look into the brushless ps32 Bosch 12V drill now that the Makita is playing up. I was really hoping the Gen 2 M12 would "feel" more like a compact than it probably does. I won't write it off yet though, until I see it in person somewhere.

6 hours ago, D W said:

Yep, the Bosch is a 3/8 chuck.

Good idea @BMack37, it would be great to have a compact M12 option available as well. I chose Bosch 12V over M12 largely because of the size. If the Gen 2 was out at the time, it would have been harder to chose, but it was a simple choice with the HUGE Gen 1.

I ended up selling my brushed ps31 Bosch 12V drill purely because it didn't have a belt clip and couldn't really stand on the battery. I replaced it with a Makita subcompact. I really should have just glued a piece of perspex to the bottom of the battery so it could stand (which would avoid having the extra weight of the flat bottom 4ah battery).

Maybe I'll look into the brushless ps32 Bosch 12V drill now that the Makita is playing up. I was really hoping the Gen 2 M12 would "feel" more like a compact than it probably does. I won't write it off yet though, until I see it in person somewhere.

The lack of a belt clip and a place to put the belt clip on the other side(to put or fabricate a bit holder) is why I haven't already bought the Bosch. I have one side job of warranting TVs. I ONLY bring my M12 Fuel Drill, if I hook it to my belt I can carry the TV and my clipboard. Normally it's just on a stand so it's 4 PH2 screws and light torque...that's a lot of drill to tote around for that. Without being able to hold it in my hands, I either carry two drills in my car or carry the Bosch gangsta style

gun-thug-art-79297ed473046d0d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I considered using a drill holster, but I don't always have a belt on and sometimes I just like to pick it up and go. 

I've recently ordered the brushless Bosch ps22 hex driver (below). I do a lot of small screws, putting up blinds etc. It's probably perfect for the TV jobs @BMack37. It's only 0.98Kg (2.1lbs) with battery! Super compact. There's a couple of nice photos in an old for sale post by @ChrisK here:

I'd love to see Milwaukee bring something like this out in Gen 2 form. I never used to see the value of having a hex driver. It just seems so convenient now. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, D W said:

I considered using a drill holster, but I don't always have a belt on and sometimes I just like to pick it up and go. 

I've recently ordered the brushless Bosch ps22 hex driver (below). I do a lot of small screws, putting up blinds etc. It's probably perfect for the TV jobs @BMack37. It's only 0.98Kg (2.1lbs) with battery! Super compact. There's a couple of nice photos in an old for sale post by @ChrisK here:

I'd love to see Milwaukee bring something like this out in Gen 2 form. I never used to see the value of having a hex driver. It just seems so convenient now. 

I imagine you’ll really like that ps22. That will stand on it’s battery for you. I bought a reconditioned one a while back and it is my most used tool in my kit ever since I got it. I’m waiting for Milwaukee to make a hex chuck on the gen 2 format with the electronic clutch as well. I favor hex chuck drivers for a drill driver with a clutch but most are 12v. I think bosch make one but it’s not available in the us. Metabo makes a drill with both types of chuck and the 3 jaw is removeable. I did get a Hilti 12v hex chuck driver this past year. I like it a lot. It is brushed but is very quiet. More quiet than the ps22 but not as much torque.  It has a slide pack style battery so the handle is really nicely shaped. You can sort of see the Hilti in one pic and there’s a pic with the ps32 next to the gen2 fuel. 

DC8D9910-0FC7-453C-8B32-8F7BA43EC82F.jpeg

8CE679A7-D626-4511-A3CA-AB537C66C852.jpeg

28F53068-8F59-4C27-8E37-E28A5773AEAD.jpeg

• Like 2

@XTsallaD thanks for the photos. The Gen 2 fuel looks HUGE compared to the Bosch. I'm surprised it's still that much bigger actually! The Gen 1 must be monstrous. 

I really like the Bosch 18V in the photo (DDS183?). If I didn't have a Dewalt DCD796 I'd be aiming for one of those for sure. 

Looking forward to the ps22. I use the subcompact Makita now, but I don't need all that power for driving. I rarely go beyond 10 on the clutch. 12V will be perfect. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D W said:

@XTsallaD thanks for the photos. The Gen 2 fuel looks HUGE compared to the Bosch. I'm surprised it's still that much bigger actually! The Gen 1 must be monstrous. 

I really like the Bosch 18V in the photo (DDS183?). If I didn't have a Dewalt DCD796 I'd be aiming for one of those for sure. 

Looking forward to the ps22. I use the subcompact Makita now, but I don't need all that power for driving. I rarely go beyond 10 on the clutch. 12V will be perfect. 

Good eye, yes that’s the dds183. Spins fast and has a really nice electronic clutch. It also has a mechanical clutch which makes it feel really crisp and consistent. It will click once or maybe twice and the power will suddenly stop. It’s not very loud when the mechanical slips and it only clicks once or twice depending on how fast it’s spinning and how high of a setting. The new handle shape is as small and comfortable as dewalt’s But shaped differently. 

The image of the m12 can be a little deceitful since the camera is so close and the chuck of the m12 is so large. Attached is a better representation but is from a higher angle and there’s still parallax happening. One point of reference would be that the back end of both of the driver bodies are about the same height or just a few mm higher than the bosch (~5 mm on the drill and the impact ~2mm). The m12 have a much longer handle and much more angle in relation to head and handle, which feels really nice in most scenarios. 

BDC0EC7D-D0E1-4359-986D-613D2066300E.jpeg

• Like 1

I know this sounds wierd but the belt hooks on the gen 2 Milwaukees are the best Ive had on a drill and impact. Its placed near its center of gravity, so when im going up or down a ladder it doesn't swing all over the place. Its a low-key improvement that i really appreciate. 

• Like 1

got the gen2 fuel today . ordered then non hammer  set as i hoped the non hammer chuck will give more precision , and maybe also save some weight .

the drill (2503-20) weights 1.056Kg (yes metric!) bare tool.

1.238Kg with the small 2Ah battery .

i dont mind the weight , but the handle felt very strange at first . its fat at the bottom section , fatter then my m18 tools , even the big impact wrench which is very weird  .i guess its due to their  m12 battery design , which has unnecessary bulk built into it .

after some use i got over it and dont care about it much .

• Like 2

I know this sounds wierd but the belt hooks on the gen 2 Milwaukees are the best Ive had on a drill and impact. Its placed near its center of gravity, so when im going up or down a ladder it doesn't swing all over the place. Its a low-key improvement that i really appreciate. 
I appreciate that too. I also like that it is out from the tool body a bit, rather than right against it.

got the gen2 fuel today . ordered then non hammer  set as i hoped the non hammer chuck will give more precision , and maybe also save some weight .
the drill (2503-20) weights 1.056Kg (yes metric!) bare tool.
1.238Kg with the small 2Ah battery .

i dont mind the weight , but the handle felt very strange at first . its fat at the bottom section , fatter then my m18 tools , even the big impact wrench which is very weird  .i guess its due to their  m12 battery design , which has unnecessary bulk built into it .
after some use i got over it and dont care about it much .

Milwaukee's ergonomics generally seem very poor. I'm not sure why, but they don't seem to focus on that at all. Their focus seems to be primarily on power (vs performance, which is different) and over-engineered durability.

These new drills are a huge step in the right direction, however. The last M12 hammer drill was embarrassingly large. It's head was virtually identical to the M18 model.
  • Like 1

I've recently ordered the brushless Bosch ps22 hex driver (below). I do a lot of small screws, putting up blinds etc. It's probably perfect for the TV jobs [mention=51872]BMack37[/mention]. It's only 0.98Kg (2.1lbs) with battery! Super compact. There's a couple of nice photos in an old for sale post by [mention=2255]ChrisK[/mention] here:

The PS22 is fantastic! An excellent example of a tool that knows exactly what it is and what it will be used for.
  • Like 2

I absolutely love my Bosch 12v tools. The ergonomics are spot on. Size is small and light. I have the new M12 FUEL tools and the drill is bulky, albeit powerful. The impact is much better, more Bosch sized.

I went one step ahead and created the ultimate Bosch 12v FlexiClick out of a Ps32.

4fdb5eb9858f8135ba4117552069df92.jpga0bd586532e47a2c68b0977c54015ae8.jpg981ec4404bd79aa75f0d03a586d1acb9.jpg1defa66b04fc197a4a782780746c9943.jpg08a567d249f39fd2d47f22fe5715296d.jpg5f54fa46f493e22baac0f32328aafeda.jpg
Very nice. I love it!

I might tackle that myself soon. I already have both drills.

Any tips or pointers?
  • Like 2