Wood working tools you didn't know how you lived without

BMack37

I’ve got the Veritas and everybody says the LN is better. Grrrrr.

That Rabbet plane will do some heavy tenon work for me and I might get a second blade and camber the corners and use it as an extra large smoother. 

Not holding my little bit for over a month SUCKED. But this weekend we watched some tv and he crawled up in my lap for a hug. Now I can pick the squirt up all day long though truthfully I need to start working out, it’s amazing how weak I still am. 

I have the veritas as well. Might sell it for the LN.

Makes sense on the plane.

Glad everything is going better for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, BMack37 said:

You, Chris, khariV and the Kendalls have me drooling over planes!

I’ve yet to use any of my planes. The Apron Plane from Veritas still needs to be wiped down with mineral spirits and the three Millers Falls are apart but sitting in totes until I get around to cleaning them up. I’ve been so busy with work that all of my woodworking plans have been set aside so I can complete the project.

I hope to have a break after this week where I can get started on the Millers Falls restorations and build some Wood Whisperer shaker tables… and a workbench.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

Honestly, one tool I could not live without, even though it's not used to often, is a BFH!

I have a few of those myself. I don't use the 3lb a lot but I use my dead blows and one engineering hammer often. Now that I'm making mallets, the deadblows might get used less. I really like my little 12oz that I just made. I need to make a bigger-faced lightweight mallet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khariV said:

Lee Valley also has free shipping going on right now until Feb, 21.  (not that anyone needs another reason, but there it is.)

It's only on orders of $40 or more though so now is a good time to pickup a set of card scrapers and bench dogs as well. 

Oh man, I just thought of another thing.  Parallel Clamps.  I use them all of the time.  I've got Bessey Revo clamps and some Jorgensens.  Unfortunately, Jorgensen went out of business recently.

As a matter of fact, I just noticed today that Bessey has come out with a new set of parallel clamps.  They improved on their K Body Revo clamps and they are calling them the K Body REVOlution.  I don't believe they are available yet, but when they are, I am getting some for sure.

http://kbodyrevolution.besseytools.com/

2 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

Oh man, I just thought of another thing.  Parallel Clamps.  I use them all of the time.  I've got Bessey Revo clamps and some Jorgensens.  Unfortunately, Jorgensen went out of business recently.

As a matter of fact, I just noticed today that Bessey has come out with a new set of parallel clamps.  They improved on their K Body Revo clamps and they are calling them the K Body REVOlution.  I don't believe they are available yet, but when they are, I am getting some for sure.

http://kbodyrevolution.besseytools.com/

I might take another look at Bessey clamps when these come out if I can lay my hands on some.  I really and truly dislike the existing Bessey K Body clamps.  The release mechanism in the lever on the ones that I had was always sticking and really difficult to engage and release without picking up and moving my entire work piece, which of course moved things enough that everything shifted out of alignment.  I ended up selling them and switching over to Jets.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, khariV said:

I might take another look at Bessey clamps when these come out if I can lay my hands on some.  I really and truly dislike the existing Bessey K Body clamps.  The release mechanism in the lever on the ones that I had was always sticking and really difficult to engage and release without picking up and moving my entire work piece, which of course moved things enough that everything shifted out of alignment.  I ended up selling them and switching over to Jets.

I've had the same issues with the besseys.  I think it has a lot to do with the grooves they cut in the bar to help the jaws bite in.  I bought a couple Jorgensens right before they went out of business and I really like them.  I haven't tried the Jet clamps yet.

I have some besseys and a few jets from their Thanksgiving sale. The Jets are much much better. I'd love to get all jets. But having to wait once a year for any type of sale really sucks.

A good workbench and vise are very underrated until you have them. They make life so much easier and open up a lot of things you can do. If you have the room build a good solid bench with vises.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...