Aftermarket chuck?

AnonymousJoe

I think I found the topic you were remembering but I haven't heard or seen anything about it since. 

Not trying to steal your thread but do people think the rohm is a better chuck?  We have a dcd985, dcd995, and dcd996 as well as m18 fuel 2604, 2703, and 2704.  Personally I think all keyless chucks suck at holding a drill bit tight which to me is what's most important.  I know the milwaukee chuck has a pretty chintzy feeling outer sleeve and the rohm looks to be better build but my own personal experience has been that the milwaukee does a slightly better job of holding the bit.  I know I'm a small sample size and was just curious why you and others wanted to switch to a rohm chuck.

Milwaukee chucks do hold bits well but in my experience too well. I’ll be sending in my 4th drill now for having a seized chuck. I don’t know that rohm is better but at this point just something else to try. I’ve learned to deal with different quirks that some of my tools have but having ur chuck seized is a big hinderence to the work day. Having to carry channel locks to loosen ur chuck is annoying, and having to mail in your drill cuz it just won’t open is even worse! I love all my milwaukee tools but I’m just annoyed and looking at options.

Yea that would definately be frustrating.  I had some issues with one of my 2604 getting 1/4" bits stuck a few times where i needed a vise grip to release it.  Oiling the chuck seemed to help but after doing some research I think I found my issue.  The chuck wouldn't grip the smaller bit and would allow it to push down into the back of the chuck.  Then I would retighten the chuck with the bit slid all the way to the back of the chuck.  It's my understanding that a bit needs a little room to move back into the chuck in order to release the bit.  Once I started making sure to not tighten the bit when it was at the back of the chuck my problems went away.  Don't know if that makes sense or has anything to do with your issues but just thought I would share.

Ok no response from rohm.  I decided to do a little looking around and noticed on Jacobs site the chuck used on the 2704 isn’t even listed on there so I assume it’s a milwaukee part only.  Now I’m going to have a little fun and make a wild prediction here:  I heard milwaukee is releasing a new  drill this year, so I predict that this new elusive rohm chuck will be featured on this drill making it a milwaukee exclusive part.  I also predict the browns will win 3 games...

• Haha 1

Finally, thank you! Can u tell me where u bought it?
You can order directly from Rohm. It was sent to me along with an upgraded Rohm chuck for the new M12 FUEL hammerdrill.

For review and showcasing on my Instagram channel. @toolsbydesign

Haven't got the post put together yet. Just wanted to help you out.

P.s. - I like how the box clearly states it’s a milwaukee part, so I’m going to stick to my prediction and maybe we’ll see these soon on a stock milwaukee drill [emoji106]
Not a Milwaukee part. Rohm made it specifically for the odd Milwaukee threading.

I was told my manager of Rohm Milwaukee does not want to pay the extra to use their chucks. Everyone else does for the premium drills though.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. When my worker brought the dcd995 to me he had a 1/2" drill bit stuck in the chuck and somewhere along the way managed to snap off the chuck retaining screw.  I was able to get the chuck to release with a vise and vise grip and by the grace of God I was able to get the snapped off left handed screw out of the drill with an easy out.

20180215_102849.jpg