Ryobi extra battery contacts?

Jasesun

Has anyone heard what the extra two battery contacts will do on all new Ryobi brushless tools? One video online said they peaked inside and its two thin wires going to the brushless motor circuit board. I'm deciding on whether to build my cordless collection with Ryobi or Ridgid. The Ryobi brushless seem to be on paper well matched to the more expensive Ridgid, and if these two extra contacts somehow provide more power when need it might help me lean towards Ryobi. However I can't find any mention from Ryobi what the extra contacts might provide. 

CirSawContacts.jpg

No idea officially but the power in the battery will be the power in the battery, so this won’t “increase” power per se. They could be adding more monitoring or something that could add functionality and/or extend runtime by utilizing output more efficiently. Just a guess, though.

These contacts will work in tandem with the new HD batteries to increase current to the motor.

As an example, pretty much most 18v power tool battery packs on the market at the moment will draw 23A continuously with no issues.  If this increases you will likely activate any overload protection.  The new Ryobi batteries (and new AEG for that matter) will allow a brushless tool to draw much more than 23A continuously for more power.  I’m not sure of the exact current draw for the new batteries yet but Ryobi has had this technology in their 36V batteries since 2014 whereby a brushless tool can draw up to 60A continuously.  The impressive thing about that is the battery will discharge up to 140A momentarily before tripping the overload protection.  These 36v batteries are called Max Power and have been in ANZ/EU/UK for years now.  I’m not sure if the US have had this in the 40v range (Same as 36v).

Makes you wonder if this has been a big test for Milwaukee to counteract Flexvolt while staying on the 18v platform.