Combination screwdriver, does anyone use them?

DiverDn

I'm getting that much closer to wiring my new shop. I bought the wire strippers recommended by the crew.

Now my question is, does anybody use the combination screwdrivers for their wiring projects?

I've seen some reviews about the Klein and Ideal models, but was wondering if anyone had any real world experience.

Thanks,

John 

Actually I have the Klein....

https://www.zoro.com/klein-tools-screwdriver-handle-adjustable-length-32619/i/G6516557/feature-product?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9rTBRBNEiwAt0Znw1dUAcjLOxurYosH0_YQ10vwZWYYpa80ky5hiHoToQft7nATpddyjhoCli0QAvD_BwE

I never use it, it’s great but the bits are loose in my drawer and it’s easier just to grab a Wera

I actually use several of these every day, multiple times a day. They come in super-handy and hold all of the bits I need for the day. A little more bulky than the standard Klein-type, but very, very useful. I use them for electrical all the time, never have any issues and the bits work great. The only difference in the stock one and mine is that I replaced a lot of the bits with the same size in a security-style bit for those applications.

I haven't used it but I don't think I would...it is kind of limiting in comparison to a Phillips driver. I'd wager it does well with the combination screws but I'd also wager that you'll run into enough regular phillips or slotted screws that you'd end up carrying them anyway. I guess it depends on how often you come across those regular phillips and slotted screws.

If you're doing it just for your own wiring, it wouldn't hurt but again, it's another tool that you could use one you already own.

5 hours ago, DiverDn said:

I guess I should have been more specific.

I'm looking for advice on the combo bit. The bit that looks kind of like a phillips, but has a wider flat section to the blade.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combo-tip/4-102-mm-combo-tip-driver-set-1-and-2

Usually only see a use if you are doing a lot of panels. Not something I'd recommend as a screwdriver. A decent 6 in 1 driver will do just fine.

Milwaukee makes a bit in their 11 in 1 (48-22-2113) multi-driver that is specific for that type of screw.  They call it an ECX bit, but I'm not sure if that's a standard name or just something that they came up with.  I happen to like it over a phillips head screwdriver for installing devices as it fits better into those oddball screw heads.  Before I got it, I was always ham-fisting the terminal screws and stripping them out - especially when I had to remove one that was torqued down extra tight.

I haven't tried the Klein version, but then again, I don't install electrical devices all day long, so I don't really need a dedicated driver for that type of screw.

• 7 months later...

I have a couple of the cheapos that have 2 sizes of phillips in one end and 2 sizes of flat blade in the other end of the hollow shank, that is removable. One end of the shank is 1/4 hex and the other is 5/16. So I have 4 screw drivers and 2 nut drivers. They are only a few bucks in the big box stores or HF. I would not be without one in the kitchen drawer. I make no claims to high quality but they have lasted for years and saved me many trips to the garage or basement, where my "real" tools live.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk