TD171D

The.Handyman

Like how much? I don’t think a small amount of in/out is all that big a deal. Not every company is guaranteed to use the same tolerances so mixing bits from different companies can lead to different degrees of fitment. There could also be small differences based on region of the world, and you probably acquired that impact from the Japanese market?

Crazy how they released this when the 170 was already probably the best impact driver even just a year ago. Although they aren’t bothering to release it stateside yet which is a bit of a bummer. I have the 170 (XDT12T state-side) and am extremely happy with it. The YouTube linked here (mods please message me if posting the link isn’t kosher and I can edit it out) is probably the most comprehensive and objective test I’ve seen and the Makita won fairly decisively.

But I guess impact drivers are a good idea to not sit on your laurels with. The TTI triumvirate released three impact drivers that are all substantial increases in torque and rpm over the models they replace. Makita does not seem to be overly preoccupied with winning torque number wars though. Or maybe they just under-rate their numbers more than other manufacturers. The 170 won 2 of the 3 practical performance tests in this comparison outright and was a close second in the last. This 171 appears to have the same motor structure and torque/rpm numbers; most of the changes appear to be about features.

Still, in my opinion impact drivers have reached a point where more power seems superfluous and they are better served adding features for better precision and so on. The better impact drivers are well past the point of being able to take lug nuts off of cars and trucks and the simple reality is there’s no objective reason to be designing 1/4” hex tools to do that.

2 hours ago, ToolBane said:

But I guess impact drivers are a good idea to not sit on your laurels with. The TTI triumvirate released three impact drivers that are all substantial increases in torque and rpm over the models they replace. Makita does not seem to be overly preoccupied with winning torque number wars though. Or maybe they just under-rate their numbers more than other manufacturers. The 170 won 2 of the 3 practical performance tests in this comparison outright and was a close second in the last. This 171 appears to have the same motor structure and torque/rpm numbers; most of the changes appear to be about features.

Milwaukee replace their units so frequently to keep their market happy; sure they improve them but they also know Milwaukee 'fan boys' will buy the latest for the sake of having the latest. 

Take a look at Instagram every time a new Milwaukee tool is released... Everyone has got to have this or that tool. It's a trend I've become very wise to but it must move so many units for TTI because I see it so often.

Makita aren't as frequent and slower on a global roll out but after having used much of both brands I know which of the two I'd rather put my money on.

9 hours ago, kat said:

Is it normal for the bit to move back and forward in the bit holder of this driver?

I have an old Makita driver that holds the bit tight and it doesn't move at all

My TD170 does this, about 5mm in/out. 

I didn't think much of it until I tried another brand (which only had about 2mm movement). 

Not sure if it's normal or not, but it's definitely something I've disliked about the 170.

Well now that I’ve gotten home to check, I do notice some in/out play on my XDT-11Z...yeah maybe 4mm worth. (Haven’t checked the XDT-12T I also have, but I also don’t feel like digging through the workshop to get it at this hour.) 

Not much side-side wobble though.

Not feeling terribly pressed about it to be honest.

I have noticed my Ryobi impact driver after some use deformed the Milwaukee 1/2” square adapter I have in it a smidge and suddenly it wouldn’t fit in my cheaper Makita without a bit of force. I had to shove the bit into the Makita and use a deep impact socket to hold the bit still in my hand while driving into impact mode in reverse a little bit to straighten the bit back out. Now it fits either impact like a glove again. This only speaks to the Ryobi having slightly looser tolerances (and/or flimsier shaft) laterally/torsionally relative to the Makita, which is not at all unexpected for a budget brand in comparison to a “prosumer” tool.

I also do notice the Ryobi has only 2mm of play in/out. Personally, I find the larger degree of lateral/torsional wobble in the Ryobi to be more disconcerting, but had I not had the Makita on-hand for the direct comparison I would never have noticed either in the first place. I don’t have any other brands nor feel any pressing desire to buy any merely to investigate further.

I would still be inclined to speculate Makita merely has this extra “slop” to give it more compatibility with a wider range of other brands of bits. Unlikely to think they’d have put it in there just being lazy.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday my new TD171 from Japan has arrived. The unit is great but I found out that bit has about 5 mm in/out play in chuck. Then I found this photo:

Výsledek obrázku pro 322279-6

Chuck is deeper to be able to use longer NZ type bits (I haven't seen this bits yet). Is anybody using the 322279-6 "bit-piece" with impact driver? Does it eliminate the in/out play?

BTW I love that there is nearly zero wobble play even with longer bits. The double bearing setup at the chuck is big improvement.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, QuasarCZ said:

Yesterday my new TD171 from Japan has arrived. The unit is great but I found out that bit has about 5 mm in/out play in chuck. Then I found this photo:

Výsledek obrázku pro 322279-6

Chuck is deeper to be able to use longer NZ type bits (I haven't seen this bits yet). Is anybody using the 322279-6 "bit-piece" with impact driver? Does it eliminate the in/out play?

BTW I love that there is nearly zero wobble play even with longer bits. The double bearing setup at the chuck is big improvement.

Japan and Korea uses nz type bits so impact drivers for Japan and Korea have different collet than ones from pretty much rest of the world( even dewalt and Milwaukee drivers for the countries have different collet. That's why your driver has deeper collet since it's from Japan

• Like 1