Makita 10” 36v or FlexVolt 12”

marsh942

Guys! 

Im currently heavily invested in the Makita lineup (20+ tools, 12+ batteries) and am looking to get a larger mitre saw, I already have the DLS714 2x18v single bevel Makita. 

The new Makita 2x18v front facing rail saw is selling for $1050 Aud (skin only with Bluetooth) and the Bluetooth Vac is $550 skin only. The FlexVolt 12” mitre is on special at the moment, $1150 for the saw, 2x2.0ah 54v batteries, fast charger, AC adaptor and a free stand + 1x54v 2.0ah battery via redemption. 

The capacities of both saws would be more than sufficient for what I’d be using them for. The dust extraction would be better with the Makita which is pretty important to me but not absolutely critical. I realise the FlexVolt is WAY better value but it means new batteries, new charger for only one tool but is it a good starting point to then be invested in FlexVolt equipment incase they bring out something revolutionary again? Or do you stay brand loyal? 

Thoughts and opinions welcome! 

I get the impression this will prove entertaining...:lol:

I’m actually planning on going Makita pretty soon just because of where my priorities and preferences tend to be, but I can’t answer for what yours may be...brand loyalty is silly regardless. Both are really good performers. I also like good dust clearing, but more important to me is it seems you can likely get better precision with Makita including how well it’s calibrated out of the box from what I’ve seen. Not like the Dewalt is any slouch though and it is an awfully good deal. But when it comes to precision, while I’ve never been expressly unhappy with my Dewalt miter saws in the past, for my priorities I’m going to consider it an upgrade when I get a Makita miter before my next “big” project. The enhanced dust-clearing factor is just icing on the cake, really.

• Like 2

@marsh942 Steven....you planning on using it as a shop tool? As far as I can tell, the Makita closely mimics my Kapex in footprint and a lot of common designs. That’s great for butting the machine up against a wall and saving floor space, trenching, dust collection etc.... The Dewalt on the other hand comes with a power cord. In the event the batteries are being used elsewhere or run out of charge. Dewalt machine is based on their own tried and true designs. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. I was really tempted to by the Makita as a second miter.....because you know....I NEED A SECOND MITER SAW.....at least that’s what I tell myself. I totally get the brand loyalty, especially when it comes to battery compatibilty. I will say I run Dewalt and Makita cordless tools in my shop alongside my mostly Festool cordless tools and the whole Flexvolt whining crap about the 20v batteries not running the 60v tools is garbage. They don’t but being able to slap a 60v on my framing nailer makes my outdoor projects go a lot smoother. And my 5.0s run my cordless finish nailer and impact gun for plenty of time. Right now my Makita lineup is shrinking, I love my Makita tools but my selection has gotten down to a cordless chainsaw, sander, recip, impact and grinder. All useful to me. My Dewalt tools lineup has slowly been increased to include a couple of cordless nailers, impact, hammer drill, OPE, grinder and the circular saw. All useful to me.

Then I’ve felt a M12 hoodie, and even some Bosch 12v stuff, a vacuum, two flashlights and two jackets, one for my Wife and the other for me.

My charging station still has a bunch of different chargers. Drives me nuts but alas, each manufacturer offers great tools. Heck I’m thinking about buying that Ryobi 18v pump. Thing works on two power sources and I can drain my pool cover.

• Like 3

I had the corded version of the Dewalt and genuinely hated the slides. They are rough and bind when doing steep bevels.  A lot of people dont have an issue with them though, but I would check them out first.  Otherwise its a great, if somewhat basic old school miter saw.  Never tried the Makita, but I do eye it every time Im in Home Depot.  Its certainly a gorgeous machine.  I'd buy it if I didnt already have a Kapex and a GCM12, and a M18 2734.  Well I'd still buy it if was up to me actually, but my wife would kill me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2018 at 10:15 PM, ChrisK said:

@marsh942 Steven....you planning on using it as a shop tool? As far as I can tell, the Makita closely mimics my Kapex in footprint and a lot of common designs. That’s great for butting the machine up against a wall and saving floor space, trenching, dust collection etc.... The Dewalt on the other hand comes with a power cord. In the event the batteries are being used elsewhere or run out of charge. Dewalt machine is based on their own tried and true designs. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. I was really tempted to by the Makita as a second miter.....because you know....I NEED A SECOND MITER SAW.....at least that’s what I tell myself. I totally get the brand loyalty, especially when it comes to battery compatibilty. I will say I run Dewalt and Makita cordless tools in my shop alongside my mostly Festool cordless tools and the whole Flexvolt whining crap about the 20v batteries not running the 60v tools is garbage. They don’t but being able to slap a 60v on my framing nailer makes my outdoor projects go a lot smoother. And my 5.0s run my cordless finish nailer and impact gun for plenty of time. Right now my Makita lineup is shrinking, I love my Makita tools but my selection has gotten down to a cordless chainsaw, sander, recip, impact and grinder. All useful to me. My Dewalt tools lineup has slowly been increased to include a couple of cordless nailers, impact, hammer drill, OPE, grinder and the circular saw. All useful to me.

Then I’ve felt a M12 hoodie, and even some Bosch 12v stuff, a vacuum, two flashlights and two jackets, one for my Wife and the other for me.

My charging station still has a bunch of different chargers. Drives me nuts but alas, each manufacturer offers great tools. Heck I’m thinking about buying that Ryobi 18v pump. Thing works on two power sources and I can drain my pool cover.

It wouldn’t be in a shop environment. Would be inside a spacious factory and potentially inside new build homes. Dust collection being good is obviously better but not critical, the same can be said for the footprint of the saw. It would be stored in a medium sized van overnight so space may be a factor as well. 

THe FlexVolt saw’s price jumps by $450 this Sunday back up to $1600 so my time is running out to make a decision!! 😂😂

I would not say dust control and weight are the flexvolt worst features. It’s not heavier than most 12” sliders and dust collection is average. It’s biggest flaw is the same as the 780,the slides are not as smooth as the other top saws and jib screw to adjust the slop in the slides cannot be tightened all the way to eliminate all the play because than one cannot slide at all. The makita and festool have lineer ball bearings on both rails not just one like the dewalt. The Dewalts other rail has only 1 small pair of bushings.  If one does few steep bevel cuts this issue is not so bad. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

I would be Abit bummed that the flexvolt  saw only have the 2.0 batteries. 

In heavy use they have a serious lack of runtime compared to the flxvolt 3.0 amps

( More then the 1 amp difference would suggest.  The flexvolt 3ah battery uses bigger and better cells that provide alot more runtime under heavy use )

• Like 1

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/makita-auto-start-wireless-system-video/35953/

AWS hadn’t crossed my mind as much here but this video shed a little light on why Makita opted to make their Bluetooth chip a plug-in attachment.

They also touched a little on their 10” X2 miter specifically. I noticed here also the spaces for the batteries suggest they have designed this in advance to accommodate larger batteries whenever Makita decides to release them.

With all that said, I also think there is something to be said for the Dewalt running their 12” in X2 and the power output that suggests they designed it to take regularly.

• Like 1

The one caveat about the flexvolt miter saw is that it sounds rougher and louder when hooked up to ac, begs the question will it last running on ac. It seems smoother and more powerful when on batteries. I admit the 2.0 batteries are a disappointment.  On a side note I feel the rear handled circular saw has more power with the 3.0 batteries than the 2.0. Runtime on the 2.0 is down right embarrassing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, new guy here. I have an old Makita 10 inch single bevel and a Dewalt 780 at home where I'm a carpenter( NE Illinois). I've been down in the Keys with my brother rebuilding our parent's home on the Ocean after Irma had her way with it. When he got down here, the idea was to supervise labor and we soon found out most labor down here was abysmal. After the drywall went back up, I came down and we started the decks, then the trim in the house. He went shopping for a cordless miter saw and he's a huge Makita guy, so he wanted to keep his batteries all the same. He came home one day with the 36v dual bevel 10 inch saw and it shocked me how amazing it was. The one carpenter we kept on for finishing the deck rails didn't care for the Makita(I think he just wanted to play with his new Flexvolt) so he used his own saw. I have to say as someone who owns Makita, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee and Bosch tools equally, there are both good and bad to both of these saws. The Makita just felt tighter, they honestly always do. The Dewalt just felt more powerful and when we were cutting the 2x10s and 4x4s, the Dewalt just seemed to deal with them better, but that could be the function of the 12 inch blade in all reality. I loathe lasers, they're worthless gimmicks, but the Shadow lines from dewalt are the bomb. I didn't care for the fence on the Makita at all, it was not something that was easily moved aside. The Makita also had no place for crown stops. I loved the fact that the Dewalt lets you plug it in, though. The Makita batteries seemed to hold their charge a bit longer, but it's not like we had a scientific test going. We hired a stucco guy to do some frames and he had to chop some 2x4s down and wound up crushing the gear a bit on the lockdown handle. Neither my brother nor I ever use the lockdown unless we're doing a custom angle between detentes, so it was weird feeling how that assembly is now stiff and cumbersome. But, Makita always makes things right for you if you call and give a few pretty pleases. I cannot say the same for Dewalt.

In my honest opinion, these are the two finest saws on the Market that aren't a grand. If It were my decision, I'd base it on the need for 12 vs 10 inch and your preferred battery use . Personally, I'm not one of these guys who needs all of his gear on one battery platform, my brother is. It's always been my contention that good tools are just that, good tools. You buy either saw and you're going to love it. You buy the Milwaukee and I guarantee you'll love that as well. If I had to chose one at gunpoint it would simply come down to the flexibility the Flexvolt gives. I really dig that option to go corded or cordless and I do prefer the larger blade. But, if you're doing mostly trim work, there's no need to have a 12. Either way you go, enjoy your new saw, they both rock.

One more thing, I found the Makita is so much easier to operate with the way all the controls are more up front. There's no reaching around the saw. But hell, it was like getting into a fighter jet when we took that saw out of the box lol

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the rail issues that effected the ls1019 (corded Makita 10”) carried over onto the cordless model? 

Im still stuck on a decision. I’ll be working out a van, possibly in remote areas without easy access to power. A cordless table saw would always be handy but I’m unsure if Makita has any plans to release one! I’ve used the FlexVolt and it was great!! 

3 minutes ago, marsh942 said:

Does anyone know if the rail issues that effected the ls1019 (corded Makita 10”) carried over onto the cordless model? 

Im still stuck on a decision. I’ll be working out a van, possibly in remote areas without easy access to power. A cordless table saw would always be handy but I’m unsure if Makita has any plans to release one! I’ve used the FlexVolt and it was great!! 

I can tell you only from the saw we had that the rails were smooth as glass and flawless. There was no twisting on long cuts and the profile is perfect for a shop wall.

• Like 1

I really wish someone would do a shootout of all the different 10"/12" cordless miter saws. I am currently deciding between the Makita and Ryobi cordless miter saws. I imagine the Makita one is better, I am just not sure if it is better by enough to justify the $200+ price difference. I am deciding between those two because I already have batteries from those companies.

• 3 weeks later...
I still can’t decide guys! I’ve seen both in person and I can’t help but think the Dewalt is Better made! The Makita is also heavier! 
Help anyone [emoji23][emoji23]! 
DeWalt is a better saw. Less deflection in the rails, especially at a bevel. All comes down to main battery platform, size blade needed, and space available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I disagree.  The Dewalts rails are so sticky deflection is guaranteed on long bevel cuts. Plus it’s got a bushing that if tight enough to eliminate play one cannot slide the saw.  The Dewalts a framer or rough outside trim.  The makita is a finish saw, love the true soft start and I am surprised by its power. 

I disagree.  The Dewalts rails are so sticky deflection is guaranteed on long bevel cuts. Plus it’s got a bushing that if tight enough to eliminate play one cannot slide the saw.  The Dewalts a framer or rough outside trim.  The makita is a finish saw, love the true soft start and I am surprised by its power. 

Maybe you got a bad one my flexvolt miter slides great very smooth

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1