Greenworks tools: the clone wars?

As a consequence of multiple brands being owned by the same companies or manufactured in the same factories, it has become quite common to find tools from different brands sharing the same look and technical specs, differing only on their colors (or only on the printed logo in some cases). Nevertheless, the case of Greenworks sounds a bit extreme to me. Almost every 80v/82v battery system you can find on google can be reasonably suspected to be a Greenworks clone. Just to name a few :

• Stiga (80v)
  • Kobalt  (80v)
  • Alpina (80v)
  • Gardol (80v, 60v, possibly 40v)
  • Miogarden (80v)
  • Powerworks (82v, 60v)
  • Cramer (82v)
  • Craftsman (40v, unconfirmed)
  • Mountfield (80v)
  • Snapper (80v, 60v)
  • Atco (80v)

Some only have the mower and blower, while some seem to offer the complete line, including a few unique variants.  Can we really trust products that are available under 5 different names in a same country? 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

You are probably talking about their newer 48 volt (serie 500) battery...

It seems that many third-party lines based on greenworks 80 volt are now abandoned. Greenworks itself has introduced a new 24/48 system because they thought the world needed a new battery. Such moves make me question the durability of a serious battery investment, not mentioning the environmental aspects...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, Erekose200 said:

I wonder why the larger 80v models are being abandoned in favour of the smaller 48v models?

Multiple possible reasons... Perhaps the marketing argument losing some of its weight, people used to compare power tools by voltage alone but this seems to have changed now. Form factor of lower voltage packs is more versatile and often results in lighter handheld tools while batteries can always be coupled to fit the power requirements of larger (wheeled) tools.

I suppose that, from a purely marketing standpoint, it is difficult for globetools to let both "80v pro" and "82v commercial" lines coexist with blatantly similar battery packs and tool design.