What bandsaw to choose from?

jxdubbs

Hi,

I've been looking to buy my first bandsaw. I'm making pens for the most part, but as well as other woodworking projects like bowls, cutting boards Ect.

So I have around $300 to spend. I've been researching for a few weeks. The ones I like the most would be...

WEN 3962 10-Inch Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight

WEN 3962 10-Inch Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight

OR

RIKON 10" Bench Top Bandsaw, Model 10-305

Honorable Mentions...

GRIZZLY-G0803 - 9" Benchtop Bandsaw

9" Benchtop Bandsaw | Grizzly Industrial

Thank you for all your wonderful help. I've looking forward and exited to what you have to say about these band saws.

James

e5bb3e4659c79d28e5336ce2fc61e3f9.jpgeef39b18603cf273e8f98819458d2e43.jpg23ff20c4ffe10e93f9ed347706764e05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums dude. If you could I would wait and save some coins for a 14” bandsay. I have the Rikon 10-325. I did have a small bandsaw previous to this and wish I had just waited.

Now...having ignored your question, I can advise that Rikon makes wonderful toolsand they are solidly built so if you are still going 10” I can speak to Rikon quality. I also have a Wen oscillating spindle sander that I like a lot and a Grizzly aircleaner in my shop. I wouldn’t hesitate buying Grizzly though my Wen seems decently built. Obviously the only named bandaw in my shop is Rikon but I think Grizzly would make a decent bandsaw, but I would still recommend waiting for a 14” at a minimum.

I'm with Chris, Rikon then Grizzly/Wen...and I'd definitely consider going larger if it's possible. I thought my little bandsaw would be enough but when you start using it and finding out how awesome it is to be able to resaw...you'll eventually want one that's larger. Right now I'm stuck with my little one and when I finally get my bigger one I'll be stuck with a little paper weight that has little resell value.

Also, get new blades, low tooth count and as wide as the machine allows for resaw. If you're going to be cutting figures, high tooth like 14 TPI and 1/4" is good, they offer 1/8" but that just seems soo likely to break with hardwood...actually, that seems like a decent idea, maybe the little one can be my scroll saw bandsaw...blades are a pain in the butt to change but you'll be glad you did.

• Like 1

I have a Ryobi 10" band saw and I agree with the other guys, wait and get a larger one if you can. I'm looking at a 14" Rikon 10-324 to supplement my 10". If you need to get a band saw now I recommend looking at the width and length of the blade it will support and using that as one of the deciding factors. They all may be similar in size, but mine tops out at 3/8" x 55" and while I can find lower TPI blades for it if I need them, it can be harder to find a one in a specific tooth count.

Of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Rikon since it supports 1/8" to 1/2" blades in 70-1/2" lengths. The Wen would be a close second since it is pretty much the same with a slightly longer blade, but if you wanted to sell this a few months down the road and buy a bigger saw I think the Rikon would sell easier. I wouldn't even bother with the Grizzly because it tops out at 3/8" blade.

• Like 2

• Eric - TIA changed the title to What bandsaw to choose from?