Time to talk about reciprocating saws

builditguy

I had two corded Milwaukee saws and they were impressive. The worst thing was the chuck, having to twist it was a pita especially with gloves on and when it didn't stop fully retracted outwards. I liked the idea of the rotating handle, as I do with metabo grinders and also the option to switch from straight to orbital for the cut. 

I bought the flexvolt saw some time ago and never opened the Milwaukee cases again so I sold them both. 

I have the compact saw and it definitely feels faster than the flexvolt and it's awesome to use as it makes one handed cutting a breeze. I do think the flexvolt has a heap more control via the trigger speed though. 

Both saws are very good.

Dewalt sawzalls trash ? The compact XR is much better then The Milwaukee hackzalls..the 60v is not as good as the super sawzall only because the new super has orbital..like the  Makita AVT..( which is a very good sawzall but corded) ....dewalt doesn’t make very many tools that are trash. When they do make a tool usually it’s a leader for years ( or gen 3 for Milwaukee) ..Flexvolt tools ( except the sawzall) are still unmatched in power and performance in the real world of building/ framing...not even close. 

...and that’s 3 years later...60v is no gimmick for real users. Milwaukee definitely has better and cheaper batteries ( they give the 12ah away a lot) ..but Milwaukee is still 2 platforms like dewalt..a 18V platform and a 18

v HO platform ..you definitely need the HO batteries to get any performance out of HO tools..otherwise Milwaukee 18v xp batteries don’t perform half as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Framer joe said:

The compact XR is much better then The Milwaukee hackzalls

Hey Joe just curious what makes you say the compact xr is much better than the m18 fuel hackzall.  I have both and the dewalt definately has a lot more vibration.  Power wise I would say they're close to the same.  The one thing I like better about the dewalt is the 4 position blade it really allows for flush cutting.  I personally like the hackzall style saw though.  It just gives you way more control to operate the saw one handed, leaving a free hand to brace material.  I have a couple fuel sawzalls too but the only recip. saw I carry on my truck is the hackzall because I just don't use anything else 99% of the time.  Which is why I'm excited to see dewalts new offering.  Maybe if you're doing a lot of demoing the dewalt is better??? and I just don't do much of that.  Then again I don't think either saw would be a first choice demo work anyhow.

• 1 month later...

@Biggie.. r u a plumber? I'd agree.. but for framing, the fuel hackzall doesn't have the power of the compact xr or 4 position blade as you say.

... For Most daily  duty the compact works great. I easily have as many Milwaukee tools as I do DeWalt. And almost all M12 tools made.

....that 4 position is a game changer a lot. Vibrations I feel in any recip...I'd say the Makita AVT sawzall is low vibrations..I haven't used the super sawzall by Milwaukee yet...

Nope not a plumber, I work in ag construction.  Most of the time if I'm using a recip. saw its demo of angle iron.  A lot of times I'm at some height so I prefer the one handed hackzall so I have the other hand free to either keep the angle or myself from falling.  I guess cutting angle iron I don't notice much power difference, maybe in wood its more noticeable.