The Reciprocating Saw: Tool of All Trades

regopit

• 3 weeks later...

The reciprocating saw really is quite versatile.  While not as quick as, say, a cutoff wheel when it comes to most metal cutting tasks, it is safer and still works just fine.  The same could be said for pruning tasks: a chainsaw is faster but also a lot more dangerous, requiring more attention than the pruning-blade equipped recip saw.  

Cordless models available today make using these a joy.  From tearing down my shed in early 2013 with an old Porter Cable 18v saw (the 1.3Ah batteries I had then lasted very little time) to demo-ing my project house with a Sawzall and DeWalt recip, it's nice not having to rely on a power cord and the resulting trip hazard that is constantly in the way.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

I think the Impact Driver earned that spot!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, but unfortunately most people(pros included) use the things improperly. They aren't just cute little drills(girlfriend :) ) or lightweight alternatives to your last cordless purchase. They are impact drivers and actually don't do you a lot of favors in a lot of situations. Of course, I guess the same could be said about meatballs using recip saws for anything you can imagine lol

Recip saws are my favourite cordless tools after compact drills. 

I've seen attachments online such as files and wire brushes but I've never actually used any. They're hard to find and somewhat expensive. Add these to the cutting abilities and they certainly are versatile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weird Tolkienish Figure said:

Anyone notice they have a picture of a guy using one without eye protection? The blades can snap off very easily (if you hit concrete for example).

It's pretty rare that you see guys on jobs wearing ear and eye protection, especially when using saws. The only time I go out of my way to wear glasses and a mask is when I'm using an angle grinder.