DeWalt 20v framing nailer

Alarian

I purchased this Nailer last summer and didn't get. Chance to use it until late fall. It didn't work out of the box and the exchange period had passed so I had to send it in for warranty work.

I got it back finally last week and went to use it today and it shoots several nails and then it error codes. It initially had both lights slowly blinking until I pulled the battery and reinserted it. It did that a half dozen times, and now it's shooting about a dozen nails and then the lights blink alternately for 30 seconds or so and it starts working again. I swapped batteries several times and it.makes no difference.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I bought this last May and I have yet to get more than 200 nails through it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I acquired a brand new one on trade recently and am having the same issue. Won't completely sink a nail, the light flashes, I reset it, same results. Took it to the service center, they "fixed it". Got it home, it does the exact same thing. I'll keep bringing it back until they replace it I guess.

Took mine into the repair center this morning. Told them they had just 'fixed it' but I had gotten it home and it wouldn't sink a nail. They took it into the back. Rep came out a few minutes later and said it's working fine. I asked to go back and see. Go back and the guy said the first nail didn't go all the way in. He took out the Grip-Rite's and put in DeWalt's. Said it worked perfectly. Put the Grip Rite's back in, still worked perfectly. Brought it home, still works perfectly.

Weird.

17 hours ago, Moze said:

Took mine into the repair center this morning. Told them they had just 'fixed it' but I had gotten it home and it wouldn't sink a nail. They took it into the back. Rep came out a few minutes later and said it's working fine. I asked to go back and see. Go back and the guy said the first nail didn't go all the way in. He took out the Grip-Rite's and put in DeWalt's. Said it worked perfectly. Put the Grip Rite's back in, still worked perfectly. Brought it home, still works perfectly.

Weird.

Who actually uses Dewalt nails with their 20v framer?

Untill today I didn't know they made 31' Degree ?

Never seen in Big Box Stores or on a Jobsite ever?

Paslode you can get gun, nails, fuel etc at both Home Depot and lowes.

Dewalt pushing nailguns into stores without pushing the nails to go along with it is probably part of the reason for all the malfunctions everyone is forced to use other brand nails due to availability and then has issues.

If I had to write a review of the 20v Framer from a long term perspective it would be a bad one 

I

Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks KS for the suggestions. As to what batteries, I'm using the 60 v flex.volt 6amp. I have multiple and none of them make a difference.

I have a lot of DeWalt stuff going back almost 25 years and I this is the first tool I've ever had go bad. (Or start out bad). I'll take it back in tomorrow and hopefully get it fixed this time.

I wasn't able to find any dewalt nails fir it either. Currently using passload, but I bought a couple other small boxes of other brands to try out with the same results. Oh and I'm driving 2 3/8" nails currently but it did the same when I was using 3" as well.

On 3/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, JakeDewalt said:

Who actually uses Dewalt nails with their 20v framer?

Untill today I didn't know they made 31' Degree ?

Never seen in Big Box Stores or on a Jobsite ever?

Paslode you can get gun, nails, fuel etc at both Home Depot and lowes.

Dewalt pushing nailguns into stores without pushing the nails to go along with it is probably part of the reason for all the malfunctions everyone is forced to use other brand nails due to availability and then has issues.

If I had to write a review of the 20v Framer from a long term perspective it would be a bad one 

I

What would you consider a long term perspective.  We've had one for about 1 1/2 years.  My review would be positive.

Having said that, I am considering ordering a Hitachi.  Just having a hard time pulling the trigger.  I actually have one in the cart, right now.  For myself, we have plenty of DeWalt batteries.  Is it worth it to start another line of batteries?  Since these are the first ones, is it better to wait a while and let them work out the bugs?

With DeWalt, they are on their second version, as far as I know.

I hesitated on the Hitachi.  I think it is better technology, as far as how it works.  I am a little concerned because it is new.  Usually, the first ones out, have some issues.

Right now, I think I will just stick with the DeWalt.  Been good to us so far and we have plenty of batteries.  I just don't think it's worth jumping ship, at this point.

I might change my mind, tomorrow.  Something will happen soon.  We need another cordless nailer.

This nailer is absolutely garbage. I had one and returned it due to jamming. Now i bought a new one last fall and it is a piece of junk. Have tried every brand of nails and it does nothing but jam or fail to set nails. It now will not shoot a 16 without jamming and you have to yank the gun off the nailing surface and loosen the 2 allen head screws every time to get the mangled nail out of it. Really annoying that my 10 year old paslode still shoots perfect but yet dewalt cant make a cordless framing nailer. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Merlin3 said:

This nailer is absolutely garbage. I had one and returned it due to jamming. Now i bought a new one last fall and it is a piece of junk. Have tried every brand of nails and it does nothing but jam or fail to set nails. It now will not shoot a 16 without jamming and you have to yank the gun off the nailing surface and loosen the 2 allen head screws every time to get the mangled nail out of it. Really annoying that my 10 year old paslode still shoots perfect but yet dewalt cant make a cordless framing nailer. 

what length and type of nails are you shooting?

what are you nailing into?

On 4/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, builditguy said:

I hesitated on the Hitachi.  I think it is better technology, as far as how it works.  I am a little concerned because it is new.  Usually, the first ones out, have some issues.

Does the Hitachi use similar technology as the M18 nailers?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 2:23 AM, framer said:

what length and type of nails are you shooting?

what are you nailing into?

I have tried just about all nails, 2 3/8 to 3 1/4, ring shank and non. tried hitachi,grip rite, paslode and some others. Shooting into everything. went back to my paslode for now.

2 hours ago, Merlin3 said:

I have tried just about all nails, 2 3/8 to 3 1/4, ring shank and non. tried hitachi,grip rite, paslode and some others. Shooting into everything. went back to my paslode for now.

Your gun is broken take to Dewalt Service Center