DeWalt 20v framing nailer

Alarian

I decided against the Hitachi.  Since I don't have anything else in Hitachi, it probably wouldn't be a wise move.

We just finished framing a room addition.  Used the Dewalt framer.  Absolutely no problems and we worked it hard.  No mercy.  We tried to keep track of the number of nails per battery, but it didn't happen.  I know, the second day, the battery lasted all day.  

Yesterday, I used the framer on the outside, installing sheeting.  Another guy used an air nailer on the inside, installing some studs that had to be individually cut, for the gable end.  We noticed a couple things.

The air nailer is so much lighter.  

My elbow started to hurt on the second day.  Probably due to the weight of the DeWalt.

Dragging the hose around is a pain in the butt.

The air nailer holds more nails.  Handy, but not a deal breaker.

The DeWalt is so much easier to move around, since it doesn't have a hose.

Time to order another DeWalt.  

It's unfortunate you are having trouble with yours.

• Thanks 1

It's doubtful I'll ever buy another battery operated nailer after the Makita pin nailer shit the bed after five nails and the Dewalt after a half hour of light work. I cannot afford for tools not to work and there's something screwy when 600+ dollars in nailers are garbage and both did the same thing. They'd work fine for a few nails, then not drive them in to the point that there was 3/4 of the nail crowned over the surface. Switched batteries, made sure we used the correct nails and sacrificed a chicken, all to no avail.

I have seven Porter cable, one Bostitch, one passlode and a harbor freight staple gun(don't judge) and all have worked flawlessly for years. Time's money.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2018 at 6:09 AM, builditguy said:

I decided against the Hitachi.  Since I don't have anything else in Hitachi, it probably wouldn't be a wise move.

We just finished framing a room addition.  Used the Dewalt framer.  Absolutely no problems and we worked it hard.  No mercy.  We tried to keep track of the number of nails per battery, but it didn't happen.  I know, the second day, the battery lasted all day.  

Yesterday, I used the framer on the outside, installing sheeting.  Another guy used an air nailer on the inside, installing some studs that had to be individually cut, for the gable end.  We noticed a couple things.

The air nailer is so much lighter.  

My elbow started to hurt on the second day.  Probably due to the weight of the DeWalt.

Dragging the hose around is a pain in the butt.

The air nailer holds more nails.  Handy, but not a deal breaker.

The DeWalt is so much easier to move around, since it doesn't have a hose.

Time to order another DeWalt.  

It's unfortunate you are having trouble with yours.

See, that's the thing for me, weight. I'm 50 now and the old body gets a bit taxed when I'm lugging around a framer all day as it is. My two Porter cables and my paslode are heavy enough.  Have found the additional weight of the cordless to be the deal breaker on getting new guns for the two that crapped out. As much a pain in the yams an air hose and compressor are, that weight and awkward design of the cordless aren't worth it to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 20v nailer for free from a Home Depot I don't normally use.  They effed an order and cost me money.  They were glad to give me the nailer. 

Ive had it about three years.  Stays in the truck for quick stuff.  It works good enough, it'll sink a 16 in spruce, but that's about it.  Works excellent for sheeting.  

Thats about all all I can say for it.  It was free and does an ok job.  If I'd paid for it I'd probably be a touch upset.  

I gladly sold my paslode when I got it tho.  That pos never worked for me when I really needed it to. 

Will 

5 hours ago, Merlin3 said:

Dropped my framing nailer off at service center for repair under warranty a few days ago. The thing has been the biggest piece of junk and only gotten worse so hopefully they can get it fixed properly. 

Lol your in for a surprise keep your reciept. You will be back to Said Service Center. You got 90 days on that repair so come back quick

The 692 imo is only decent. It’s one of several yellow tools that I only use infrequently, rather than being one of my daily drivers. Every other tool I use infrequently I keep because they’re fantastic when I need them. The 692 isn’t fantastic. It has trouble doing its job consistently and having 2 speeds is a misnomer because speed 1 is virtually useless for everything I’ve ever done with it. I contemplate selling the 692 on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I contemplated it for long enough; I sold the damn thing. Maybe after enough people buy a gen.3 I’ll jump back in but I didn’t like this one enough and it was just a once-in-a-while tool for me anyway. I won’t miss it lol. 

Never understand guys with problems with the 692, I have 3,  no problems, sinks 3 1!2 paslode full head into pressure treated lumber every weekend, thousands of nails, a couple jambs over the years  but awesome...and the2 3/8" paslode nails I've never jambed literally thousands every year...no service center ever...no new parts....rain, snow,heat,mud......sucks if it happens to some guys but ,no problems here...I'd love a gen 3 though...

I don't like the metal connector (hanger gun) way too bulky...

I’m not a pro but like Joe, I have had a lot of luck with my 692. I bought it reconditioned from CPO Dewalt, it was clearly used. Actually the most used looking tool I have bought from them. But...outside of a jam here or there, it’s a solid tool. I only use the 5.0s or the flexvolt batteries though, the 4.0 batteries get drained really quick (not that I have any left, they have all been sold and 5.0 and flexvolt and one 2.0 are all I have now)

Some might slip past quality control or somehow before/after it got into the users hands loses the ability to work properly when it shouldn't. Thats my guess to why some have theirs work great and others not so great.

[mention=53824]rcarnes911[/mention]...I use paslode ace full head  2 3/8” ring shank every weekend when doing pt decks through 5/4 x 6 pt decking, those fire great ...you had a problem ? “Talk to me ,goose”...
I have the same nails, it will fire maybe 3-4 before it jams. But with smooth nails it very rarely jams

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We ran into the first issue with the nailer, yesterday.  Not a major deal.

I put in about 1400, 8d nails, in a row, in a period of about 1 hour.  Very short breaks for the nailer.  It started to cycle a little slow, so I switched batteries.  Still going slow.  Maybe even a little slower.  Checked it with another battery and it was still slow.  I decided it was getting hot, so I let it rest.  About 2 hours later I picked it up to test it out, and everything was fine.

This happens to some of our tools.  The 6 1/2" circular saw is the first that comes to mind.  Occasionally the impacts will do that also.  I've always said I think the nailer is best suited to small work and I still think that.  I also think it is very handy.  Glad I have another one coming.

• 9 months later...