Drill/Driver vs Hammer Drill

esox07

I am looking to upgrade from my Black and Decker 20V drills to something a little more robust.  One of the reasons is that I am planning to use it on an Ice auger for ice fishing next winter.  I understand you need something with a minimum of 500 in lbs or torque and brushless.  One of the brands recommended was Ridgid.  I like the LSA that comes with them when purchased at HD.  So, I was researching them and see several options but these are the two that stand out:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Gen5X-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-2-in-Brushless-Compact-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-2-1-5Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R86009K/206955210

and

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Gen5x-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Brushless-Compact-Hammer-Drill-Kit-with-2-2-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R86116K/206596560

What exactly is the difference between a Drill/Driver and a Hammer Drill?  Would one work better as an ice auger motor than the other?  I would also be using it for regular projects as well for drilling and driving screws.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

• Like 1

I am looking to upgrade from my Black and Decker 20V drills to something a little more robust.  One of the reasons is that I am planning to use it on an Ice auger for ice fishing next winter.  I understand you need something with a minimum of 500 in lbs or torque and brushless.  One of the brands recommended was Ridgid.  I like the LSA that comes with them when purchased at HD.  So, I was researching them and see several options but these are the two that stand out:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Gen5X-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-2-in-Brushless-Compact-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-2-1-5Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R86009K/206955210
and
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Gen5x-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Brushless-Compact-Hammer-Drill-Kit-with-2-2-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R86116K/206596560

What exactly is the difference between a Drill/Driver and a Hammer Drill?  Would one work better as an ice auger motor than the other?  I would also be using it for regular projects as well for drilling and driving screws.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.
Hammer drill just has an extra mode option for percussion drilling, a drill/driver lacks that mode option. Now as percussion drilling goes, a "hammer drill" is not actually very efficient, it's just a ridged gear that engages behind the Chuck which causes the chuck to continually rise and fall (vibrating basically) as it spins over the gear bumps. If you're going to be doing more than 5/16" pilot bit drilling into masonry, you're going to want to invest in an actual rotary hammer which actually uses an internal striking mechanism to drill concrete and masonry much much more effectively. If you don't need the "hammer" drilling option, I'd recommend just forgoing it and save yourself a few bucks on the plain drill/driver model. Same if you have pretty consistent or heavier needs for regular concrete-get a regular drill/driver and then a second rotary hammer. Buy the hammer drill model if you're looking for a robust all around drill and you'll have lots of small concrete drilling such as drop in anchor style (yellow jackets and the sort) or tapcons for fastening various hardware to concrete. Hope this helps[emoji106]
  • Like 1

From top to bottom, Makita first; two regular drill/drivers, a heavy duty "hammer" drill driver, and a rotary hammer. Second photo is the "hammer" drill compared to the rotary hammer. Hammer drill vibrates the chuck in hammer mode, whereas the rotary hammer is dedicated striking mechanism that can be switched between modes to simply rotate the sds chuck, rotate with striking, or striking only for chiselling. Hammer drill/drivers are a "meh" middle option before the actual rotary hammer completely separate tool for that task. 22220e8c878283eb92f2877f49886d52.jpga406b8a65a4e5e308057579bd08428f1.jpg

The hammer drill you're looking at would be exactly the same as the drill/driver but would have an extra selectable mode for light masonry drilling.  As far as your ice auger is concerned you wouldnt want to use a hammer mode because it would be hard on the gearing of the auger.  So either model would work, you just don't need the extra function of the hammer drill for your auger application.

Sorry but I’ve used that ridgid drill and the computer shuts it’s down, wouldn’t let me drill a 3/4” hole into wood in speed 2. I was really disappointed.  In comparison my milwaukee 12v drill in speed 2 will even tho it only has like 350 in/lbs of torque. So no matter what the specs say every drill is different. Every ice auger video I’ve seen the guys use a dewalt or milwaukee 18v drill. I’d look at those personally.