Battery Adapter

cliu

Anyone ever used this Makita to Ryobi battery adapter? I got one recently and so far it seems to work well although I have barely tested it yet. I am primarily a Ryobi user, but after getting this I plan to switch to Makita for batteries and certain heavy duty tools i.e. the circular saw. So far I have only tested it out on my Ryobi lantern (I didn't dare use any of my other tools because it was 2:00 a.m. and I didn't want to wake up my roommates) and it worked perfectly. I will update this thread when I test it out more.

Makita to Ryobi Battery Adapter.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, cliu said:

Anyone ever used this Makita to Ryobi battery adapter? I got one recently and so far it seems to work well although I have barely tested it yet. I am primarily a Ryobi user, but after getting this I plan to switch to Makita for batteries and certain heavy duty tools i.e. the circular saw. So far I have only tested it out on my Ryobi lantern (I didn't dare use any of my other tools because it was 2:00 a.m. and I didn't want to wake up my roommates) and it worked perfectly. I will update this thread when I test it out more.

I am interested in this because there is one tool that I really want that Makita doesn't make... a tire inflator. Ryobi has a reasonably priced inflator, but I refuse to bring a 3rd charger on my shelf for one tool. This looks like the solution at a reasonable price.

Can you attach a picture of yours fitted with a Makita battery? 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:49 PM, bee-man said:

I am interested in this because there is one tool that I really want that Makita doesn't make... a tire inflator. Ryobi has a reasonably priced inflator, but I refuse to bring a 3rd charger on my shelf for one tool. This looks like the solution at a reasonable price.

Can you attach a picture of yours fitted with a Makita battery? 

How's that? As you can see, because of the increase in thickness (this is with a 6aH battery) the pump no longer sits on the floor, but it seems to work fine regardless.

IMG_20180420_005734.jpg

IMG_20180420_005927.jpg

So far I have only noticed two potential issues with this adapter. First is that it adds some length to the battery as you can see to the picture. On the majority of tools that is a non issue, but on a few tools i.e. the circular saw; that makes this unusable. The circular saw is designed so the the back of the battery sits nearly flush with the wall of the battery compartment so any additional length cannot be accommodated. Thankfully that is not an issue with me since I don't use the Ryobi circular saw. A second slightly more serious issue is that the back of the adapter seems to be a little off so that the battery can rock back and forth a little bit and occasionally that can cause a power interruption. It is likely only going to be a problem on tools that vibrate a lot i.e. a reciprocating saw. When I have time I am going to try putting a little epoxy or something like that in the well where the battery lock goes and see if that won't solve the problem, I imagine it will though.  

IMG_20180420_005734.jpg

cliu, thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures. I really want that Ryobi hand-held inflator, but I'm currently trying to justify the $45 (inflator + adapter) total cost just to go cordless. The decision would be a lot easier if my plug-in inflator stopped working...

That's a good point mtnkid85 since these batteries have intelligence.

cliu have you (or anyone else reading this thread) tried using newer genuine Makita batteries with this adapter connected to a high draw power tool? My concern would be that the battery shuts down or throws an error code because it "saw" a high increase in current with no tool connected. Last thing I want to do is brick a new battery.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, mtnkid85 said:

I was considering an adapter to run the Ryobi drain snake.  You haven't had any issues with the newer Makita star batteries running other tools?

Idk what a "star battery" is, but I have used a genuine Makita 5aH battery and I do see a star on it if that is what you are talking about. I used it on my Ryobi lantern and it worked just fine.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, bee-man said:

cliu have you (or anyone else reading this thread) tried using newer genuine Makita batteries with this adapter connected to a high draw power tool? My concern would be that the battery shuts down or throws an error code because it "saw" a high increase in current with no tool connected. Last thing I want to do is brick a new battery.

I do not currently own any Ryobi tool that I would consider high draw. For such tools I would usually go with Makita, but I do plan to perhaps get a Ryobi shop vac and miter saw one day. However I may go with the Makita miter saw if they have a good deal on it like they did earlier this year (IIRC it was around $400 and it came with (4) 5aH batteries). If and when I get those, we'll see what happens. All my other high draw tools i.e. reciprocating saw, circular saw and rotary hammer are Makita.

• 4 months later...

So I am a cheap azz that doesn't want to introduce a new battery platform on my shelf just for one tool. I decided to hack a Ryobi battery that was given to me and sacrifice my half working USB charger. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you RYOKITA. Ugly as frig, but skookum enough for my needs :)

IMG_6874.JPG

IMG_6876.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, bee-man said:

I used that adapter today on the Ryobi 6 gal. shop vac and it worked without any noticeable problems. That thing is probably one of the highest draining tools there is.