Sign in to follow this  
rrich1

Hand tool cabinet build... finally!

Its looking really good!  That will end up being a nice piece to pass down in the future.
Thanks. It's not perfect by any means but it should suffice just fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Before work I was able to get the shelf and the hinge part of the doors made above the plane til. I mortised out for the hinges but they are not closing fully. The hinges sit flush with the wood so not really sure what I should do. I think chamfering the edge might help reduce the bulk and fix the issue.

The shelf is dadoed into cleats screwed to the sides. The hinge part of the door is then screwed into that. I will replace the screws with brass screws to match the hinges.

Up next is to make the playwood doors and attach them to the hinge section. 5bfb1407d5f11913e114469ac6411db7.jpg

• Like 1

The mortises for the hinge plates might be a wee too deep.  Without modifying the wood any, you could try mounting the hinges with a super thin shim underneath so that they sit maybe 1/64" proud of the surface.  That might solve the problem of the wooden door pieces hitting the sides when the hinges are closed.  If that solves the problem, planing the edges of the door and/or the sides to a slight angle could have the same effect.

The mortises for the hinge plates might be a wee too deep.  Without modifying the wood any, you could try mounting the hinges with a super thin shim underneath so that they sit maybe 1/64" proud of the surface.  That might solve the problem of the wooden door pieces hitting the sides when the hinges are closed.  If that solves the problem, planing the edges of the door and/or the sides to a slight angle could have the same effect.
I had planned to plane the side down a little. I confirmed with Alabama woodworker on Instagram and he had the same issue when he made his.

• Like 1