Hand tool cabinet build... finally!

rrich1

Before work I was able to get the shelf and the hinge part of the doors made above the plane til. I mortised out for the hinges but they are not closing fully. The hinges sit flush with the wood so not really sure what I should do. I think chamfering the edge might help reduce the bulk and fix the issue.

The shelf is dadoed into cleats screwed to the sides. The hinge part of the door is then screwed into that. I will replace the screws with brass screws to match the hinges.

Up next is to make the playwood doors and attach them to the hinge section. 5bfb1407d5f11913e114469ac6411db7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The mortises for the hinge plates might be a wee too deep.  Without modifying the wood any, you could try mounting the hinges with a super thin shim underneath so that they sit maybe 1/64" proud of the surface.  That might solve the problem of the wooden door pieces hitting the sides when the hinges are closed.  If that solves the problem, planing the edges of the door and/or the sides to a slight angle could have the same effect.

The mortises for the hinge plates might be a wee too deep.  Without modifying the wood any, you could try mounting the hinges with a super thin shim underneath so that they sit maybe 1/64" proud of the surface.  That might solve the problem of the wooden door pieces hitting the sides when the hinges are closed.  If that solves the problem, planing the edges of the door and/or the sides to a slight angle could have the same effect.
I had planned to plane the side down a little. I confirmed with Alabama woodworker on Instagram and he had the same issue when he made his.

• Like 1

I got the doors made and fitted. The left door was a pain and still wants to pop open where the right side doesn't. In the pic I had them slightly open. These will be held down with magnets so I think they will be ok.

Up next I am going to do the plane til dividers. This will at least get my planes off of the work bench and into the cabinet. c6b307bf5e32ed5a839e75ab942f4acf.jpg4dbc1e2899001eae122819d5e19e23c7.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got the upper doors done. A few coats of shellac and buffed with paste was. I replaced the hardware on the sides with brass domed screws. Flat head unfortunately. But it ties it all together. I used two magnext super glued in with screws to keep the doors from opening. They aren't rare earth magnets so hopefully they will be strong enough. bde6fc288119f8b3ac95dd44786b2cb0.jpg013b5269d491e9a206d0da04459a4d85.jpg78c0aa5d847cab0b345a4b00ac9198bc.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys.
@chrisk it's already hanging up [emoji6]. I borrowed some planes today from a friend to map out some future future purchases. Have a full day of stuff today so not sure if I will get to it today or not.

Want to get the other doors made up soon. That will only leave me the bottom "gallery" area under the plane til. The plan calls for two drawers on the left and plane storage for the rest of the stuff. I'm going to change that and do another set of drawers on the right side. The middle might have a shelf in it or be left completely open. Still undecided. For reference here is a pic from the plans. 8c44f3166f4fb9cad952bd497570922d.jpg

• Like 1

Well this is annoying [emoji849]. Measure twice cut once. I resawed some mahagony to get the stock for the plane til dividers. I marked out my screw hole lines on the first one and found out I needed a few more long ones. I transferred the screw lines but not the length line. Ugh. 

IMG_20180527_164010.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of progress between last night and this morning so far. I got the plane til all but finished. I didn't order enough of the screws I was using so I will have to get more. 

This morning I started to work on the interior door doors. I got the cleats cut to fit and mortised the hinges. I had planned to go to the gym but forgot they closed at noon so i will work on cutting the plywood for the door and putting a dad in the cleat to accept the door. 

IMG_20180528_124108.jpg

IMG_20180528_124118.jpg

IMG_20180528_124147.jpg

• Like 3

Current state of the cabinet. After work tonight I got the second door fitted. I also planed down some of the right door. It got a twist in it and I should have done it before gluing the panel on but oh well. I checked my stock of mahogany that I have left and I don't have enough length wise pieces to make the top of the gallery under the plane til. I am headed to town in the morning to get some stronger magnets so I'll stop by and get a piece of wood as well from my lumber store. I might actually get this finished by the end of next week. 

I'll still need to make tool holders but I am in no rush to do that. Those can be done with free time. I need to get started on the dresser and night stand guild build after this.

IMG_20180530_005335.jpg

IMG_20180530_005354.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 10:34 PM, rrich1 said:

Haha. I'll take a pic of the door that I need to plane down because it doesn't sit flush. 🤣

haha, TBH that's why I liked the mistake pic...everyone on here and IG never make mistakes, I feel like I'm constantly correcting mistakes.

• Like 1

I had another accident when I was making the first door. I was able to cut some of it out by redoing the rabbet (cut the board wide on purpose to cut to fit.)

Yesterday I bought a piece of mahogany for the gallery area. I got it rough cut to size and planed mostly down. I made it in the shape of a u so I can make drawers for each side. The mahoyis going to be the top of the gallery. The middle will be modular storage.

A whole lot of progress the last 24 hrs.

First I cut out a section of the top doors to allow more room for the planes in the til. Now I am able to turn them handle up and not come in contact with the door. I drilled a 5/8" hole and used the band saw to cut the pieces out. Worked really well.

Second I made door stops with magnets in the interior doors. The left door is being stubborn though and won't stay "latched". I'll mess with it some more.

Third I got 80% of the gallery done. I made a mistake today I told myself yestery to not do. The drawer area on the left and right has a shelf. That shelf I cut too short. To fix it I was going to make the dad and rabbet shallower. Well...I didn't. I will most likely put some strips in there to fill the gaps.

Hopefully I can get the gallery out. It is super tight in there right now. Once I get the gallery to my liking I'll glue it up and the it is the dovetailed drawers. Getting closer to the finish line. 5b5a2fcfb19341c40c08e6040fa6bd24.jpg5eaf8a48c4839f0a5912d2b0806152c7.jpg175a663c6b4d96d631fb8c242859e2f6.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I glued up the plane til and today I got it sanded and planed down. It fits and I'm happy.

Most of my time today was taken up by replacing the water pump on my wife's escape. Three trips to town and it's done. While I waited to do certain things to the car I was able to get stuff done to the cabinet.

Today I got the accessory holders made for all of my measurement tools. It took a while but I made a layout that I liked. To help secure the pieces in the holders, I drilled a hole in the back and placed a small magnet in the hole. No enough to make it difficult to get the pieces out but strong enough that they dont fall out when opening the door.

Last night I did make the spokeshave shoulder. No super happy with it but it will do the job just fine and it's on top out of my line of sight.

I also started on holder for my marking guage and dividers. I made an extra slot for another guage.

I started to make a chisel rack layout but didn't start that one yet. I have the DeWalt chisels but want the lie Nielsen chisels really badly. I don't want to drill holes too big and have to redo them. I think@chrisk has some? If so can you get me the wides measurement by the socket/handle? I know the sizes get bigger on the woder chisels.

8f8a9522819f2272fa491ac5336ae554.jpg224b3130e355868f7c89c36b5c65f4dd.jpg

• Like 1

Got a few more tools laid out and up. The upper right cabinet is holding all of my layout tools. Dividers, marking knives, and marking guage.

The right door will hold my saws. I am wanting a to get a Japanese pull saw and a few more veritas saws. Obviously they won't all fit on the door. Will have to add some inside.

My chisel rack is laid out but not drilled yet. I have to make racks for my Witte screwdrivers as well.

The gallery itself is all done. It's been shellaced and a coat of wax on and buffed out. Drawers are the only thing left besides the tool holders! f049a513beee515b0ae3c5018ba26576.jpge4f23bcc92758ec4f58a7d04afeb5ed1.jpg

• Like 1

Planed down the material for the drawers today. It got a little thinner than. I wanted but I should be fine. Bookmatched tigerwood. The wood will be continuous for the drawers. Should look really good with all of the curl. The section on the right with little curl won't be needed.

7758bd89c830ef08567c948bc0e55a39.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but there has been some work done.

At this point in time all I have left to do is the drawers. I finished putting finish on the entire cabinet and all of the tool holders. The front of the main doors stiles and rails as well as the sides hadn't been coated yet.

I made a few saw holders and really happy with how they turned out. I oversized some pieces of mahogany and tigerwood for the saw blades. This allowed the whole blade to be covered and not slice me in passing. The magnets hold the saws to the door and keep them from shifting when opening and closing. I have used magnets a lot in the tool holders and will also put some at the door corners to keep them closed. 859d56c7421e2dd0f922b47602615e2f.jpgb2598c186bfdd058adba52e95e6156a1.jpg461e8ca117ec41b610bfb9facc53f0b6.jpg0942ed675bdbc904f3a55dd26bab8b8a.jpgb4d7e8ba3848bf5c2b8b9bd1ddb481ab.jpg4aef41f3cd8b70c6a11f6cc262f3b434.jpg9d1132b61c86276a0375a0b61ce65c2d.jpg

• Like 2