Hand tool cabinet build... finally!

rrich1

Not to derail your most excellent cabinet thread but...

From the wood database:

Workability: Can be difficult to work with hand and machine tools. Blunts tool edges. Sands unevenly due to differences in density between light and dark areas. Very splintery—care must be used when handling unfinished wood with bare hands, as splinters have an increased risk of infection. Very large pores can be difficult to fill if a perfectly smooth/level finish is desired.

Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon,  breathing Wenge wood dust has been reported to cause central nervous system effects, abdominal cramps, irritation of the skin and eyes, and is a sensitizer. Also, Wenge splinters tend to take longer to heal and  are more likely to go septic (get infected) than splinters from other woods. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

Why the %$^@ would any one want to build out of this stuff?

• Haha 2

Not to derail your most excellent cabinet thread but...

From the wood database:

Workability:
 Can be difficult to work with hand and machine tools. Blunts tool edges. Sands unevenly due to differences in density between light and dark areas. Very splintery—care must be used when handling unfinished wood with bare hands, as splinters have an increased risk of infection. Very large pores can be difficult to fill if a perfectly smooth/level finish is desired.

Allergies/Toxicity:
Although severe reactions are quite uncommon,  breathing Wenge wood dust has been reported to cause central nervous system effects, abdominal cramps, irritation of the skin and eyes, and is a
sensitizer
. Also, Wenge splinters tend to take longer to heal and  are more likely to go septic (get infected) than splinters from other woods. See the articles
Wood Allergies and Toxicity
and
Wood Dust Safety
for more information.

Because it looks neat! 840f8f1ed8d407c6ec053596da26b5d1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Because it looks neat! 840f8f1ed8d407c6ec053596da26b5d1.jpg

Marc seemed to use that wood exclusively. Beautiful piece bro!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small break from the miter station today. There are two things keeping from this cabinet being completely finished. 1. The drawers need to be made and 2. Magnets in the doors and carcass to keep the doors shut as they slightly hang away from the case.

If you recall a few weeks ago I screwed up the first drawer front. Well today I decided to try the second door. I still need to cut my replacement front to length and width. This one turned out much better. Orientation is correct and dovetails didn't turn out too bad. A few over cuts with the saw but it's fine.

These drawers are going to look killer with shellac applied! 125652449e2595166f0a212a0bae96da.jpg1348895be3c2a471606290557a287102.jpgd6069cb338631fd97b603eb4a6b53598.jpg

• Like 3

Solid progress the past 24hrs. I got all of the drawers dovetailed and dry fit. I then drilled the holes for the finger pulls. I sanded the inside of the first drawer put on sanding sealer, and got it glued up. Apparently I need more 12" clamps.

The grain on these drawer fronts are killer and they don't even have any finish on them yet! ec4add9ab43de2bdb46c8e2f1518d5c0.jpgcadb714fabfdc91b50d25d48a7036d23.jpg

• Like 1

Three of the four drawers are planed and fit in. Sanding will finesse them in. The fourth is out of glue up but I am too tired to do it tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can get them sanded and shellaced. I have some metric drill bits coming tomorrow (today) that will fit the magnets better than the imperial bits that I have now. The magnets will hopefully solve my door "issue" of ever so slightly hanging open.40e990a346a8fd366f34b3ef64bf980a.jpg

• Like 3

I'm calling the hand tool cabinet done. I finished the drawers today and am very pleased with how they turned out. The figure on the fronts from the right direction is awesome. I've got a few of them already dedicated to certain tasks. One had my sharpening jigs and another has my dovetail items. 860db5a8583048cbfc2243bb098c73ae.jpgeeeca71dd804718b4b55890ccce64813.jpg102aa8636a6bda98023e3e947b245b31.jpgca4c4acb167aa2d32bb00d5a1bdfbd50.jpgda958feb3ba512923f16b202554dab15.jpg5c833778c1320fc952ba7f2a00047ace.jpgb0450668a81a2abc255c67475bf36db4.jpgcdcfef0d372a51906229845970eb8495.jpg

• Like 3

This cabinet turned out great! I have loved following along. I have always been excited for the updates, and couldn't wait to see it finished. Well, now part of me is sad it's finished! Haha. 
Great Work, and enjoy!
Thanks! There are more projects in the pipeline. Finishing my miter station now and come August I believe I will be starting a chest of drawers and night stand made from cherry and walnut.

• Like 1