Crown stops, the Satchmo way

satchmodog

For some reason, dewalt has either stopped manufacturing their crown stops, or they are on backorder planet wide. I've tried buying a few sets on eBay and they just go, people bid them up crazy high from the auctions I've been in. I decided to look elsewhere and ran across the Bosch stops and holy mother of God were they inexpensive. Anything with Bosch written on the box is generally an immediate markup, but these were like 16 bucks, to my door. The Dewalt sliding compound miter saw wasn't set up to take the Bosch set, but a drill, a tap set and a half hour standing in the cold and slush of the Wisconsin spring, voilà, slide stops. I don't always cut crown on the fence, but these make it so much easier. So if anyone wants stops, check eBay for the Bosch and have at it. I haven't checked to see if Milwaukee even offers these. My old Makita didn't have them either and I always used a jig. This is so much easier 😊

20180415_140120.jpg

20180415_140721.jpg

20180415_143024.jpg

20180415_143247.jpg

At work all of our miter saw stands are made from wood. So we just screw a board into our stands right across the saw as a crown stop.  Its nice to have a long stop set up when cutting 16ft pieces of crown. With the little tabs its hard to get the crown nested right on long pieces.

18 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

At work all of our miter saw stands are made from wood. So we just screw a board into our stands right across the saw as a crown stop.  Its nice to have a long stop set up when cutting 16ft pieces of crown. With the little tabs its hard to get the crown nested right on long pieces.

Yeah, it really is. When we were rehabbing my parent's place in the keys we had our miter saw set up on three horses with a few 14 foot sections of 2x8 that we found in the yard after our pier was destroyed. They made a nice long, solid base for the 16 foot pieces. I try to cope as many corners as possible, too.