Shopping for a benchtop "jobsite" table saw

dwasifar

I'm getting ready to build a new workshop. One of the things I want to do is build an island workbench with a flush mounted "jobsite" table saw (because I don't have the money or the space for a proper floorstanding table saw).

Finding the right saw for this has been unexpectedly difficult.

I've looked at, and rejected, in more or less this order:

DeWalt DWE7480 - can't use a dado; otherwise, this is what I'd buy.
Bosch GTS1031 - only 18" rip.
Delta 36-6010 - universal bad reviews on the rip fence.
Hitachi C10RJ - many reviews stating low reliability and unavailable repairs.
Kobalt KT1015 - can't be easily used without its rolling stand.
Ridgid R4516 - uneven user reviews for quality, many warranty service complaints.
Ryobi RTS-22 - Ryobi.

I've only found two saws that don't have any of these omissions:

Skilsaw SPT70WT-22 - priced same as the DeWalt, can use a dado up to 1/2".
Makita 2705 - well-regarded, can use wider dado, but very expensive.

If I had five Benjamins burning a hole in my pocket, I'd grab the Makita in a heartbeat. But I may have to settle for the Skil, unless someone else has another suggestion...?

Also: Why doesn't Milwaukee make a table saw in this category?

The DeWALT DWE7490X is only slightly larger, comes with an X stand, which you could leave off and tuck behind a cabinet or bench to use later. It can run a dado stack, however it is in that $500 range you don't want to pay. Perhaps you should consider going the pawn shop/ Craigslist route for a table saw for now and save up the $500 or more for a new saw later (deals can be had on Black Friday in November as well as periodic times throughout the year). If it were me, I'd stick to DeWALT, Makita or Bosch for the table saw.

I don't know if I'd say the Skil would be "settling" really.  From the reviews I've read, it's a very nice saw with plenty of power and a decent fence.  It doesn't come with a wheeled cart, but if you're embedding it into an island, that's really a non-issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Perhaps you should consider going the pawn shop/ Craigslist route for a table saw for now and save up the $500 or more for a new saw later (deals can be had on Black Friday in November as well as periodic times throughout the year).

I would absolutely do that if I weren't about to build a bench around the saw. 

6 hours ago, khariV said:

I don't know if I'd say the Skil would be "settling" really.  From the reviews I've read, it's a very nice saw with plenty of power and a decent fence.  It doesn't come with a wheeled cart, but if you're embedding it into an island, that's really a non-issue.

I’d second the Skil. It’s a pro grade tool with a worm drive motor. I’d also vehemently agree with Dewalt. The DWE7491does take a dado and they make a Dewalt dado throat plate too.