20V or 60V Grinder

slopjock78

So after getting my rotary hammer problem sorted out, new I'm going to get an angle grinder.  I'm currently looking at either the 20V DCG413 or the 60V DCG414.  They are usually within $20 of each other, so money isnt really going to be a factor.  Everything I read on the flexvolt is that it has all the power in the world and pretty much can do whatever you ask of it.  However, I really like the paddle switch on the 413, and I'm not really sure if I need the 60V power.  I will mainly be do doing somewhat lighter duty stuff with it: cutting welded wire panels on the farm (cattle pannels) and then just the random grinding and cutting.  Nothing crazy by any means, and will definitely not be an every day tool.

Does anyone have experience with both tools and can give any pro's and con's of each?  And just to throw this in here:  I know this is the Dewalt forum, and I am mainly a Dewalt guy,  but I do have the Makita 18V platform as well.  Is there a grinder in that platform that I should be looking into as well?

I have the 20v xr grinder, it's great lots of power I can get about 15 minutes of runtime with a flexvolt battery, the paddle switch can be a little finicky, but as long as you don't need the bigger wheel and have extra batteries it's a beast, if you think you will need the larger wheel on the flexvolt get it I don't have it but have used it before and it has balls

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rcarnes911 said:

I have the 20v xr grinder, it's great lots of power I can get about 15 minutes of runtime with a flexvolt battery, the paddle switch can be a little finicky, but as long as you don't need the bigger wheel and have extra batteries it's a beast, if you think you will need the larger wheel on the flexvolt get it I don't have it but have used it before and it has balls

Well, I have 8 FV batteries, and 7 20V of various sizes.  So, run time is not a big issue for me.  Also, I dont think i will need the larger size that the FV can handle.  I'm guessing that the 20V can do everything I need it to.  Just dont want to regret it later.  However, from what I'm seeing, the 20V will almost certainly be plenty for my needs.

Well, I have 8 FV batteries, and 7 20V of various sizes.  So, run time is not a big issue for me.  Also, I dont think i will need the larger size that the FV can handle.  I'm guessing that the 20V can do everything I need it to.  Just dont want to regret it later.  However, from what I'm seeing, the 20V will almost certainly be plenty for my needs.

Go 20v then, you won't be disappointed, and it gives you the excuse to get the big one later lol

The new DeWALT grinders seem like great grinders. For occasional grinding the 20v will work fine. Since you mentioned having Makita you might want to check out the new Makita grinders. I think they are variable speed and there is even options that have AWS.

The 20v is on par with the m18 fuel which has been one of the top cordless grinders since it's release 5 years ago.  I personally don't care for the grip on the 20v.  The 60v has true corded power that the 20v and other 18v's don't have.  Just to be clear I replaced corded grinders with m18 fuels because of the convenience and the power is good enough but it's not as powerful as corded.  The 60v has a pretty comfortable grip but it's also heavier and kind of long and bulky.  If I could only have one I would pick the 60v just for the power.

• Like 1

I recommend the 60v. If the price is that close, the extra few bucks will get you a lot more. I personally hate the trigger on the 20v and the 6” wheels will give you more bang for your money. You also get the benefit of having the larger batteries to use on your 20v tools. I’m currently framing the exterior of a building right now and with all the heavily gauge material I would go through 2-3 batteries a day. Switched over to my flexvolts and only need the 1. Big help to minimize things plugged into the generator so we can prioritize the grinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

Listen people the dcg418 has 30% more power then the previous models so for me seconds matter cos the longer the noise go on the more likely I would get caught and the faster the blade rotates the faster the dam lock will break so see no evil hear no evil the hustle goes on I risk my life every other day so I need  beast "dewalt dcg418 60v"to keep me out here away from bin DEWALT LOVE YOU LIKE LIFE THIS GOES OUT TO ALL MY HUSTLERS OUT THERE, MR REACH NW Camden 

9 hours ago, Yoni said:

Listen people the dcg418 has 30% more power then the previous models so for me seconds matter cos the longer the noise go on the more likely I would get caught and the faster the blade rotates the faster the dam lock will break so see no evil hear no evil the hustle goes on I risk my life every other day so I need  beast "dewalt dcg418 60v"to keep me out here away from bin DEWALT LOVE YOU LIKE LIFE THIS GOES OUT TO ALL MY HUSTLERS OUT THERE, MR REACH NW Camden 

Storage unit burglary/theft, or something legal, like trailer repo?  I can't imagine a grinder being used for car repo.  Grinders aside, if you are using your grinder to aid in the theft of other people's property I hope the wheel breaks just before the police arrive.  

If you're legit, I apologize for the accusation.  I've been the victim of a burglary with multiple repeat trips to relieve me of a lot of my tools and other stuff (I was out of town at the time).  When I got home and discovered it, I went to the gun safe, grabbed a shotgun, handguns, and body armor, and waited in the woods in the hope that they'd return.  Had they returned, I don't know what I'd have done.  I'd have probably simply held them until deputies arrived, but if they had a firearm it would have been game on.  A year or so later my storage units were broken into just before Christmas.  I went to check on them, found the locks cut, and walked around the facility to find about 1/4 of the units had been broken into, with some units wide open and almost empty.  Fortunately, the only thing missing from mine was a couple of BB guns; my mechanic's tools were buried at the back behind a bunch of heavy worthless stuff.  

Back on topic, I have the older 20v Max version.  It works for my needs, but I can see where the FlexVolt would be a much better choice.  I may end up with one eventually, as I'm already looking at cutters and welders for my post-retirement shop.