comp56

Craftsman Coming Back To Lowes

eee.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

I'd be curious to see what Craftsman will offer. I know they are exploring the idea of battery powered tools. I'm not allowed to say what they are working on but it is definitely something Craftsman would make. I'm not sure if it will be part of an existing line or not. The smart move would be to bring back the quality but we will have to wait and see. I'd like to see Craftsman do the same as Mac where they just make the bare tool then throw in a couple powered by DeWALT batteries with slight design and color tweaks but keep the compatibility with DeWALT and powered by DeWALT tools. 

• Like 1

Here is what my local store had a few days ago.  One socket set and a VersaTrac accessory kit.  I'm sure there'll be much more displayed soon.

20180509_071716.jpg

20180509_072402.jpg

There's more listed online. Honestly, right now the tool boxes are the only real thing worth considering...if you don't mind them only being ** X 18". There is a couple online socket sets with a new ratchet that looks nice but without any reviews (or seemingly anyone online having their hands on it thus far) and it being made overseas, it's a risky purchase...but I guess you can return it if it sucks. 

On 5/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, BMack37 said:

There's more listed online. Honestly, right now the tool boxes are the only real thing worth considering...if you don't mind them only being ** X 18". There is a couple online socket sets with a new ratchet that looks nice but without any reviews (or seemingly anyone online having their hands on it thus far) and it being made overseas, it's a risky purchase...but I guess you can return it if it sucks. 

Not impressed by the Lowes Craftsman boxes, they seem to be pretty thin material, the older one that I have from Sears is a heavier guage, better side handles they are inset instead of riveted on

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Not impressed by the Lowes Craftsman boxes, they seem to be pretty thin material, the older one that I have from Sears is a heavier guage, better side handles they are inset instead of riveted on

They're better than the newer Kobalt boxes released in the past couple years. I like the PC box better and the Lenox workbench is a lot nicer than the Craftsman, the Craftsman is like 4-6" too short. They're decent but I'd definitely take the Husky, Milwaukee and Dewalt boxes over the Craftsman...and of course the HF boxes.

I stopped by a few stores over the weekend and saw the new Craftsman displays, but wasn't overly interested.  The most positive thing I can say is that Lowe's now has some color in it besides blue.  I've stated this before, but the tool brands in Lowe's tend to blend together (with the exception of DeWalt and Hitachi), being primarily blue (Kobalt, Irwin, Bosch) or bland (PC, Bostitch) colors.

The other thing I noticed was how quick SBD is to rebrand their products.  One of the stores still has a FatMax T-Stak on clearance for $95.  The exact same setup is now available with Craftsman branding for $99, $20 less than the FatMax originally sold for.  I've been waiting for them to drop the price a bit more on the FatMax, but if it sells first that's probably for the best.  I have a lot of ToughSystem and Ridgid boxes already, and will likely invest in Packout this holiday season or sooner.  Also, when I last visted the Atlanta area a month or so ago, a HD was clearing out the DeWalt cantilever boxes.  You guessed it, the Craftsman is the exact same box, albeit in black and red instead of black and yellow.

I honestly hope that the Craftsman brand has retained some loyalty from others, but I've gotta say that I really wasn't interested in what Lowe's has started selling.  I used to use a Craftsman toolbox and a number of their hand tools when was a mechanic, and swore by Sears when I was a road tech; I knew I could buy something needed locally, or swap out a broken tool without having to look for a Snap-On truck.  Now I kind of view Craftsman in the same light as Kobalt--decent enough tools for someone who is in need, but nothing worth spending money on myself.  Then again, maybe I'm just "tooled out" when it comes to mechanics tools.  I've had my Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and Craftsman stuff in storage for over five years and haven't even looked at it in that time...