Saying "Bye" to Old Tools

fm2176

Well, I finally figured out who to gift the old Porter Cable stuff to.  I had my best friend in mind, but he decided to go out drinking and got popped for DUI back in November.  With the aging batteries, I didn't want to risk storing these tools for him for three years, and a coworker has been talking about wanting better cordless tools for a while.  He got a DeWalt 12v Max drill last year but was disappointed in its power.  Well, that coworker is about to be medically retired from the Army at the ripe old age of 28.  I've been staring at the PC tools for so long now I decided he can use them much better than I can, especially as they been completely supplanted by brushless DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Ridgid versions.  I've been trying to find a bag large enough to hold them all, but most likely tomorrow will be my last day with these tools.  Though they have been maligned here and elsewhere, the PC 18v tools always served me well despite their tiny (by today's standards) batteries.  

With the drill, impact driver, OMT, circular saw, reciprocating saw, inflator, area light, work light, two chargers, five batteries, battery status indicator, and a few accessories, along with the 12v Max drill and impact kit, my coworker should find this system preferable to his current tools.  I've already warned him that these are technically obsolete, so batteries will have to be rebuilt or purchased from third-parties.  That said, the batteries are still going strong despite some being eight years old.

How have you bid farewell to no-longer-needed tool systems?  Cordless technology has grown by leaps and bounds over the course of this decade, but so long as the batteries will hold a charge, even "obsolete" tools can still render good service.  Do you gift them to a friend or family, sell them, exchange them for new tools, toss them in a closet, or simply discard them?

I gave my entire M12 lineup (minus the bandsaw, xc batteries, and lights) to a member of my cousin's family on her father's side. He's a new electrician who had all of his tools stolen, he also got my Klein backpack and all of my insulated screwdrivers. Other than that I've been selling everything else on eBay, it lets me get rid of tools I don't use and make a little money to buy new tools as long as people buy them.

• Like 2

I have used eBay for non tool items but not for tools yet. I have only used Craigslist and here. I have tried Facebook because of the family/friend ties to it but it didn't appear that there was much interest if any. I'd have to check into OfferUp it looks nice. I'm considering selling some more tools but I want to buy replacements first.

46 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I have used eBay for non tool items but not for tools yet.

From my experience tools will sell reasonably well on eBay if they are priced right. Batteries on the other hand take more effort. My Makita tools sold the first or second time they were listed after figuring out a good price, the charger and batteries sold only the most recent attempt after trying a lot of different prices and shipping options. The charger sold yesterday and the batteries literally didn't get a bid until the last few seconds before they ended this morning. I was halfway expecting to end up with batteries that have no tools and no way of being charged.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jtkendall said:

Batteries on the other hand take more effort

I've had exactly the same experience in Australia. I couldn't sell a few batteries until I dropped the price to a point where it was too good to ignore. It took me 6 weeks to sell a Metabo battery that had only done 5 charge cycles and had one minor scratch on the bottom, and I had to sell it for 1/3 of the price of a new one (shipping included!). I'd say Milwaukee and Dewalt would sell much easier than Metabo.

I'm actually surprised how well Ebay works for tools in Australia, we only have a population of 24 million.