Cordless rotary tool opinions

D W

I'm trying to make a decision about getting a cordless rotary tool. I don't need one immediately, but there's a great deal on a Bosch 12V at the moment. 

Can anyone comment on how soon they think a brushless version might come out from either Milwaukee or Bosch? Any thoughts on the two existing brushed models? How long have they been out? 

Brushless isn't necessary, but if one could be likely just around the corner I'll ignore the deal and wait a bit longer. I'm talking 6-12 months is ok. 

I recently got the 20V Dewalt die grinder but I'm finding it's not as practical as I thought (often too long). I had plans for it to be the go-to for both die grinding and rotary tool tasks. 

I have had the M12 for some time. (4 years)

It’s not great but it’s not bad either.

It is underwhelming.

Low speed is very whiny and noisy, there is a slight motor wobble at high speeds.

It’s fine for occasional use.

If you can get the M12 cheap enough, it’s probably worth while.

Personally, if I didn’t have a few M12 jackets, scanner etc, I would look at the Bosch.

I am still convinced that the Milwaukee and Bosch 12V are made at the same place!

The entire entry-level line looks identical, even the radio!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I wasn’t aware Bosch had a 12V rotary. I kinda like the idea of the M12 just because I know all my Dremel peripherals will attach to it straight away. Despite that as I’ve thought about it more I’m probably going to get Makita’s compact 18V. Already have the batteries, will have more power and can accept both the assorted 1/8” Dremel stuff and 1/4” as well. But I assume like Dewalt’s 20V that would also probably be on the large side for you...

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

I bought a 68c reducer from Ebay to use for the Dewalt 20V die grinder so I could use Dremel bits. It work's quite well actually. Just too long a tool.

Put a 12V rotary side-by-side with the die grinder and there would be a huge difference in size. I don't know what I was thinking. I do more "rotary tool" tasks than "die grinder" tasks.

I have Bosch 12V already. I'm always seeking a reason to go M12 so I can get that soldering iron.

That’s funny then because you’re looking at the exact same two tools I keep looking at M12 for. On more than one occasion I was trying to order but couldn’t finalize the transaction because Home Depot’s website settings refused to allow me to have them shipped. None of my current projects need them though so lately I haven’t thought about it much.

User reviews on the M12 Shameless Dremel Knockoff are up and down but a decent number of people seem to indicate they like it better than Dremel’s own stuff. In theory the soldering iron having no moving parts should be really easy to get right. My plan is to just order when the need becomes more pronounced, possibly later this Summer.

I would prefer it if Makita came out with their own versions of these tools but how quickly they’ve been dropping their pod-style 12-volt line since releasing CXT suggests they have no plan to develop pod-style tools in 12-volt for the foreseeable future.

Interesting, typing that it occurs to me that the pending switch to larger cells may have played into Makita’s decision. Could also effect other product lines down the road particularly M12. Will probably make a worthy discussion thread at some point.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see what power could be had from larger cells in 12V. On the topic of slide pack choice in 12V, I'm really hoping Dewalt announces new 12V tools soon. I'd definitely buy a brushless 12V drill from them.

I wonder if Makita will ever bring a rotary tool to their CXT range. Here's a photo of a slide pack rotary tool (Ozito brand from Bunnings). It looks odd, but it might still have the same balance as one with a pod battery (the 3 cells are still on the end of the tool). Being shorter perhaps it's actually better balanced. 

LRT-4100-USAGE-1-BIG-lbox-600x600-ffffff.jpg

• Like 1

I guess if Makita could figure out a way to make it work aesthetically then great. Form/functionwise pod-style obviously lends itself to feeling more like Dremels and soldering irons have always fit in the hand. But maybe it would be worth rethinking those things entirely. I definitely prefer the feel of the handles that the CXT line has in the hands vs their old pod-style stuff. Why not have a multitool or soldering iron completely depart from the historical cylindrical shape and go for the “gun” style? Actually...that would probably be really awesome.

Yeah that would be great.

A rotary tool would be super lightweight and compact without the battery attached to it.

That approach would make a far better soldering iron. The battery part could have a stand/holder attached to sit the gun in. 

Well a soldering iron done up “gun style” with the battery at the base could be set down anywhere, unlike most soldering irons that need a dedicated station to sit it in between tasks. If the idea is to go cordless anyway, why have to tote a station around with you anyway?

And a Dremel-style multitool...has anyone really thought about it beyond the historical norm we’re used to? I sort of like the “pencil” approach but in practice Dremels are too fat for it to have that sort of accuracy anyway. So maybe an entirely novel form factor would be worth exploring. Like a pistol grip but with the Dremel bit pointing out sideways so you always have direct view of what you’re doing.

• Like 1

It sounds like what everyone wants is something I suggested would have been better for the soldering iron...A corded pencil with the unit (with battery) able to strap to your arm. They could do a better designed flex shaft attachment, where it doesn't need to be nearly straight to work...a retaining ring, bearing and a slide shaft for lengthening and shortening the shaft when it flexes would do the trick.

Of course the unit would hold the business end of the tool on the unit. For the soldering iron that would have ceramic and/or silicone to protect against the heat without needing a good sized air gap.

• 2 months later...
I'm trying to make a decision about getting a cordless rotary tool. I don't need one immediately, but there's a great deal on a Bosch 12V at the moment. 

Can anyone comment on how soon they think a brushless version might come out from either Milwaukee or Bosch? Any thoughts on the two existing brushed models? How long have they been out? 

Brushless isn't necessary, but if one could be likely just around the corner I'll ignore the deal and wait a bit longer. I'm talking 6-12 months is ok. 

I recently got the 20V Dewalt die grinder but I'm finding it's not as practical as I thought (often too long). I had plans for it to be the go-to for both die grinding and rotary tool tasks. 
I have an old corded Makita die grinder that came with a 1/8" as well as the regular 1/4" collett. It really is pretty awkard as a rotary tool. I had a few 1/8" shaft cutoff wheels that were a little too much for the Dremel but other than that, I just use it for 1/4". That Bosch seems to be the best bet in a cordless tool. I would not obcess over brushless. That tool probably has more power than you could ever use. with little Dremel accessories. Brushes last for years. Brushless is the new must have goody, even if you never see the difference. I have no idea but has anybody built a brushless tool that runs that fast, like a router? The electronics has to do what it does at 30,000, not 2,000 rpm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mycrossover said:

I have no idea but has anybody built a brushless tool that runs that fast, like a router? The electronics has to do what it does at 30,000, not 2,000 rpm.

That's a good point. I've never considered RPM limitations for brushless. 

The highest I'm aware of is the Dewalt 20V brushless die grinder and brushless multitool that both do 20,000+ rpm. 

I've chosen and bought the Bosch rotary tool. Great tool. I'll have to try and get a bigger battery. I only have a 1.3ah.

That's a good point. I've never considered RPM limitations for brushless. 

The highest I'm aware of is the Dewalt 20V brushless die grinder and brushless multitool that both do 20,000+ rpm. 

I've chosen and bought the Bosch rotary tool. Great tool. I'll have to try and get a bigger battery. I only have a 1.3ah.
Thanks, you have answered my question. If DeWalt has a brushless die grinder then high speed brushless has arrived. I just had not seen one before and did not know.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:59 AM, Mycrossover said:
Thanks, you have answered my question. If DeWalt has a brushless die grinder then high speed brushless has arrived. I just had not seen one before and did not know.

Google 200000 Rpm brushless motors.

I want my cut off wheel to kill me and everyone within a 50ft radius!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I have the Bosch 12v rotory tool and it has been great. Bosch owns Dremel do all of their accessories fit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Milwaukee uses Dremel accessories too. I use the Dremel flex hose and blade guard all the time on mine.

• Like 2

Milwaukee uses Dremel accessories too. I use the Dremel flex hose and blade guard all the time on mine.

I use Dremel accessories on my M12 as well. I was worried that the already insanely noisy Milwaukee would be even worse with the flex.
How bad is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HiltiWpg said:

I use Dremel accessories on my M12 as well. I was worried that the already insanely noisy Milwaukee would be even worse with the flex.
How bad is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds the same. I'm thinking of building a suspension rig to hold it above my head while I use the flex hose because of the bending issue with the flex hose.

BTW, I don't think I've come across a rotary tool that can't use Dremel accessories. It's one of the few things that actually uses a standard thread and sizing. Even the Craftsman battery powered rotary tool uses Dremel accessories. I have to try my Tacklife but I assume it does as well, awesome kit BTW, worth it for just the accessories.

Though this picture on their listing made me laugh. How not to sharpen a chisel 101:

81yn9HyrQHL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BMack37 said:

It sounds the same. I'm thinking of building a suspension rig to hold it above my head while I use the flex hose because of the bending issue with the flex hose.

BTW, I don't think I've come across a rotary tool that can't use Dremel accessories. It's one of the few things that actually uses a standard thread and sizing. Even the Craftsman battery powered rotary tool uses Dremel accessories. I have to try my Tacklife but I assume it does as well, awesome kit BTW, worth it for just the accessories.

Though this picture on their listing made me laugh. How not to sharpen a chisel 101:

81yn9HyrQHL._SL1500_.jpg

Cmon! That’s how I sharpen all of my Lie Nielsen and Blue Spruce chisels! Ive got Nerves of steel! Hawk like eye sight! Cat like reflexes! Easy Cheesy. 

• Like 2

Cmon! That’s how I sharpen all of my Lie Nielsen and Blue Spruce chisels! Ive got Nerves of steel! Hawk like eye sight! Cat like reflexes! Easy Cheesy. 

We are talking about a Tacklife chisel and rotary, one hit on some decent maple and you need that tool to grind the gouge out

Sorry Tacklife.... burn [emoji91]

• Like 1