Why DeWalt? Why Not?

fm2176

I'm genuinely curious as to why you decided to go with DeWalt tools (or why you didn't), as well as what you feel their strengths and weaknesses are.  I will be posting similar threads in the Milwaukee and Ridgid forums as I own a number of their tools, but will leave the other brands out for now--feel free to start your own in those forums if this subject piques your curiosity...

As for me, it was simple, I was kind of indoctrinated.  The first guy who took a chance on a 17-year-old high school dropout used B&D and DeWalt tools exclusively (there was some blurring between the brands back then).  He hired me for his small gutter business, which manufactures hinge systems his father designed and which he and a couple of helpers installed.  A few years later, my brother began investing in 18v tools, using them for various businesses and the trades he worked in.  I had it pounded into me that Yellow simply belonged on the jobsite.  To be fair, though, it was my quest for deals that really got me started down the path I've been on.  Cheap 12v Max batteries coupled with a clearance Bluetooth speaker were the gateway to a very substantial number of 12/20/60/120v Max purchases.

• Like 1

For me.  I had a Ryobi set that served me well for about 4 years but then the tools started giving out when working on my fence and then the deck.  I decided that I would prefer something with a little more longevity.  I have both a Lowes and a Home Depot around me but wanted to stay away from a "Store Brand" so that I could find the items for the devices even if I move to where only one of those stores exist.  I had some others that I knew with Dewalt equipment for years so decided to make the switch as it met my criteria.  

First it was their OMT. I sold my Metabo OMT to get it. The trigger style was mostly appealing, but it also weighed a lot less than the Metabo. Then once I was into the line, I started looking at the other tools and eventually got a DCD796 hammer drill. I didn't need it, I already owned 2 other drills, but the ergonomics felt great and I just couldn't leave the store without it. Since then, I always try to get a tool in Dewalt first, but also have Metabo and Makita. The ergonomics and build quality are great. I also don't mind the yellow colour anymore (I prefer it over the teal, but not over the Metabo forest green or Makita black). I don't really know why, but I love using all the Dewalt tools I have. It might sound weird to say, but Dewalt tools seem more like a working tool than other brands. 

Pros:

-Ergonomics

-Build quality 

-Availability 

-Tool release frequency (not too often, not too infrequent) 

-Lightweight tools relative to other brands

-High performing tools, often in the top 2

Cons:

-Build quality can be randomly poor sometimes? (I bought a made in Mexico DCD791 that was terrible) 

-No decent 12V line

-Batteries work fine but look cheap and toy like

-Now have an air cooled charger but it's not on the same level of technology as Makita and Metabo (who can circulate air through the inside of the batteries) 

I'm sure I'll think of more later. 

I bough my first Dewalt tool two years ago just before Flexvolt was announced. Couple of reasons. Really loved the ergonomics, they were offering some cordless nailers which I was really interested in, they had a good selection of wood focused tools and they are not super expensive. 

I was also interested in Milwaukee but I decided to go yellow because the tools were more expensive and they have some sort of exclusive deal with Home Depot here. Dewalt is sold everywhere so it's much easier to find great deals while Home Depot tools are pricier than anywhere one else in Canada so I was not interested in buying my tools from them. Of course, you can always buy online or from a tool dealer but your choices are more limited. I may buy into Milwauke 12v in the future though, especially for their plumbing tools. 

I wasn't really interested in Makita because I was under the impression they were more interested in being 'first' them producing great tools (which is wrong, Makita tools are great quality). They had like 5 different impacts and I don't like when a brand does that. It really get confusing and their web site is not helping.

I was also interested in Bosch but their lineup is so behind what's available in Europe and elsewhere that it wasn't making any sense to go down that road.

Dewalt was the second brand I bought into. Years of seeing them on sites (18b Nicad) and only a modest 20v lineup had me thinking they were has-beens stuck in the past. If you go back a few years to my earliest posts here there is likely a lot of posts mocking Dewalt for their footdragging. When FlexVolt was announced and they released more brushless 20v Max they gave me whiplash. I sold a handful of my Fuel tools and then picked and chose what was best from red and yellow. Dewalt makes up about 50% of my power tool collection now. FlexVolt mitre saw and table saw were what convinced me I needed Dewalt, and the FlexVolt grinder and circ saw were my first replacements for the Milwaukee equivalents I sold. I’ve been extremely happy with the build quality on Dewalt, and you can get batteries for a reasonable price. I feel like Milwaukee makes higher quality batteries but you pay a premium for them. I like that Dewalt listens to feedback; new batches of FlexVolt circ saws have rafter hooks, newer Dewalt tools have rubber nubs on the battery mounts like Makita tools so you don’t wear out the contacts so fast. The battery release mechanism feels cheaper to me than Makita or Milwaukee though. 

1. Flexvolt.

Most tradies use Makita in NZ for many good reasons. However, 56v circular saw was my first leap away from the comfort zone and brand loyalty. I was blown away with its cross cut and rip capacity of stress grade timbers. The saw continues to exceed everyone's expectation on site.

2. Gasless 16g brad nailer.

I was sick of Paslode because the gas cannisters would expire rapidly and harder to get a spare one in contrast to the framing gas cannisters. So I went with 18v XR brad nailer. It is on the heavy side but I don't have to worry about gas and less likely of misfire.

3. Toughsystem storage.

You can't beat this system when it comes to durability. It can withstand a lot of site abuses and weather elements.

My three reasons for expanding into the black and yellow.

DeWalt was my default just because it was one of my dad’s defaults growing up. The extra solidity of their tools over the other stuff he had (Ryobi and B+D) ended up dictating most of my buying decisions when I started to collect my own: where you can afford it and it makes sense go for Dewalt. For corded tools that was how I rolled.

When battery tools came along frankly I avoided that moneysink as long as I could. I have a lot of hobbies including radio control models and was pretty in tune to how much batteries were going to be changing over coming years. I knew a lot of early battery platforms would prove to be temporary and not worth burning money on especially for a DIY guy who pays very close attention to longevity.

Dewalt had the 18-20V thing and now this Flexvolt thing going on. The general look of it made me question how committed they were to the long-term stability of their platform vs how much they were banking on using customer loyalty to drive sales with unnecessary format changes. So I started to look elsewhere and have gone to Makita for my cordless stuff.

• Like 1

I didn't have much experience with power tools growing up. My dad had a corded craftsman drill and circular saw then replaced the drill with a cordless Black and Decker. I don't think he had any other power tools back then that I can remember. In high school we had various DeWALT cordless drills and I liked them. This was probably my first experience with DeWALT. Then in college they had DeWALT as well. A guy was asking me about tools I needed and I thought a drill would be nice to have. He asked if I was going to get a DeWALT and I figured I probably would. I didn't have much knowledge on anything else. Maybe a week later after he talked to me he shows up to my house and gifted me a DeWALT drill/impact set. I have stuck with the DeWALT line since. I have since gotten into Ego for my ope needs and I have 2 items from the m12 line but I am not really looking at anything else in the m12 line right now. I plan to get into Festool soon.

My first drill was a dewalt 12volt my dad gave me when he bought a new one. The batteries hardly worked, but it still had more power than my bosses Bosch drill. That was years ago. Since then I started by picking up a 777, then an 885, then somebody donated a busted 886 to me. Ereplacementparts is awesome. 15 bucks later the 86 was running perfect and I had spares for next time. A few months ago I picked up a 575, and opinions on my framing crew were pretty low. For them if it ain’t a magnesium worm drive it ain’t shit, however now all day every day I hear “Where’s BabySaw? Pass me up Babysaw. I need Babysaw.” We build custom homes and my saw is now easily the most used saw at any of our sites. Power, ease of use and versatility are great, especially after chucking the blade it came with. Diablo! 

Next up up for me is the planer, jigsaw, multi master and a sawzall. Acme tools has a free battery promo right now I’d like to jump on! 

Dewalt mitresaws. Circular and  tablesaws have been on every job site since I started. ( some other brands mixed in,like skilsaw circ saws) The quality of those tools always impressed me. I didn’t have Cordless tools until the 20v max line, I wasn’t impressed with Nicad performance by anyone.

The grip of the 20v line was awesome. I read the specs and it beat or matched everyone at the time...that and Dewalts reputation for reliability sold me. Love the red and black colors,but Milwaukee didn’t have Construction tools, Makita had a big line ,( no fuel gauges) Hitachi had a good rep.for corded tools.

Dewalt doesn’t complete their line of tools,it’s aggravating, their slow on new tools , but when they.do come out it’s generally revolutionary and takes years for anyone to come close to the same power or quality. Flexvolt is the only line that is actually better then corded power tools. It changed everything. Every framer I know uses the Flexvolt line. The 575 and 577 are sick. Hybrid mitresaw awesome. It’s what all construction guys have been waiting for. 

Even Dewalts 899 beat Milwaukee’s until the recent gen 2 beast...I bought into Dewalt 12v and then no more tools came, I love my M12  Tools, also love my Bosch 12vv ( they both have tools that the other doesn’t).....I don’t like Ridgid tools or batteries. Ryobi makes things no one has, so I love it, Love my Festool tools...

As it’s said ....Dewalt is for construction/carpentry...Milwaukee for plumbing/hvac...and all others fill the gaps. Makita is also a strong line ...

13 hours ago, Babysaw said:

My first drill was a dewalt 12volt my dad gave me when he bought a new one. The batteries hardly worked, but it still had more power than my bosses Bosch drill. That was years ago. Since then I started by picking up a 777, then an 885, then somebody donated a busted 886 to me. Ereplacementparts is awesome. 15 bucks later the 86 was running perfect and I had spares for next time. A few months ago I picked up a 575, and opinions on my framing crew were pretty low. For them if it ain’t a magnesium worm drive it ain’t shit, however now all day every day I hear “Where’s BabySaw? Pass me up Babysaw. I need Babysaw.” We build custom homes and my saw is now easily the most used saw at any of our sites. Power, ease of use and versatility are great, especially after chucking the blade it came with. Diablo! 

Next up up for me is the planer, jigsaw, multi master and a sawzall. Acme tools has a free battery promo right now I’d like to jump on! 

Nice. You going to also get the Flex worm style saw?

I have tried several brands. 

I've had some DeWalt tools since they rebranded from Black and Decker Professional.

I had some Hitatchi.  They didn't last very long.  Both the drill and impact got very hot.  Then, one day, one of them started smoking.

I had some Makita.  Really liked the tools.  Bought quite a few.  Then the batteries wouldn't charge.  I had batteries lasting 6 months or less.  I talked to Makita.  They said I was the only one experiencing this problem.

I bought some Milwaukee.  The batteries were good, but there were some small details that I didn't like.  The impact for example, the trigger would get stuck, slightly.  I could hear a faint, high pitched noise.  Realized the light was on all the time.  The grip is slightly different than DeWalt.  My hand would slide down, the grip, a small amount.  After a little bit, I was pushing on the bottom edge of the trigger.  The impact also only had 1 led compared to DeWalt's 3 led.  The Milwaukee drill just didn't have as much power as the DeWalt.  i had solid proof, on the job.  We were using a paddle to mix up some mortar, in a 5 gallon bucket.  The Milwaukee wouldn't turn.  Unchucked it and put the DeWalt on.  The DeWalt had no problem.

Final nail in the coffin.  Fastenal had a buy one get one free sale.  Trade in any 18v tool for a new DeWalt tool and get another DeWalt tool for free.  We traded in all of our 18v tools.  56 total.  Bought all new DeWalt kits and got another kit for free.  The factory rep even let me pick a few different tools, so I didn't end up with 6 impacts.  It was a really good deal.

That was 3 years ago and we've only had one battery go bad.  We work our tools, hard.  No complaints.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned DeWalt power tools but currently own Makita and Milwaukee. I think DeWalt's power tools are very good, but the forward/reverse switches on their drills and impacts are too far ahead near the front of the tool to switch as easily as most other brands, which is a shame as the handles are among the most ergonomic.

I used to own their 12v tools and watched as they remained utterly stagnant in that platform year after year while Milwaukee ran circles around them. I asked why they no longer supported that platform and was told they were still being "supported" (i.e. still available for purchase) but they wouldn't address WHY they abandoned any type of advancement. Ditto for their 8v platform. 

I'm not a fan of their "20v Max" nomenclature (ditto for the rest of the SBD platforms such as PC, B&D, Bostitch, etc.) and having worked at Lowe's it became extremely tedious having to explain it away as a marketing gimmick to casuals who figured it meant moah powah than the 18v competitors. 

The fact that they're seemingly content to put a cap on their 20v Max platform's potential to shift the heavier duty tools to FlexVolt is a concern. Why not come out with a more potent brushless reciprocating saw in the 20v Max category? Ditto impact wrenches, etc.

In general I just find myself questioning how committed they truly are to 20v Max innovation in both the short and long run. Just my .02

I have no problems with dewalt. 8- impacts. 2- Lefty cordless skilsaw. 4- 6.5"trim saws. 15 g trim gun. 3 highspeet hammer drill combos. Multi cutters bansaw. They get damaged dropped kire then failure. Dewalt Shop is 2 miles away. Drop off repair or replace them for very lil money or none depending on warranty or what's Left on it. My set up is Hilti. Impacts and6.5" sirc sawbare my go toob and are bullet proof. Longest lasting fastest charged batter's (15-20min) Hilti store is about 1.5miles other way from dewalt. Again drop off repair in 24-48hrs Never more or send back New one. In a pinch they give me one too use until other is fixed. If they had bigger line of cordless I would go all Hilti.

First it was their OMT. I sold my Metabo OMT to get it. The trigger style was mostly appealing, but it also weighed a lot less than the Metabo. Then once I was into the line, I started looking at the other tools and eventually got a DCD796 hammer drill. I didn't need it, I already owned 2 other drills, but the ergonomics felt great and I just couldn't leave the store without it. Since then, I always try to get a tool in Dewalt first, but also have Metabo and Makita. The ergonomics and build quality are great. I also don't mind the yellow colour anymore (I prefer it over the teal, but not over the Metabo forest green or Makita black). I don't really know why, but I love using all the Dewalt tools I have. It might sound weird to say, but Dewalt tools seem more like a working tool than other brands. 

Pros:
-Ergonomics
-Build quality 
-Availability 
-Tool release frequency (not too often, not too infrequent) 
-Lightweight tools relative to other brands
-High performing tools, often in the top 2

Cons:
-Build quality can be randomly poor sometimes? (I bought a made in Mexico DCD791 that was terrible) 
-No decent 12V line
-Batteries work fine but look cheap and toy like
-Now have an air cooled charger but it's not on the same level of technology as Makita and Metabo (who can circulate air through the inside of the batteries) 

I'm sure I'll think of more later. 

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

@aabee I think they’re quite committed to 20v Max. I agree that their naming conventions are stupid, but 20v Max is their largest line and gets tons of new tools. It’s not that much different than the path M18 is taking forward where there are basically tools before and after the High Output batteries; the old batteries will still run the new tools but in realistic terms the new more powerful tools are meant to be used with the new more powerful batteries. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't dislike Dewalt tools, I own several corded ones but when it came to choosing a cordless platform I didn't choose to put my investment into Dewalt for a couple of fundamental reasons. First I didn't like that they chose to rate their drills in UWO rather than the industry standard IN/LB or FT/LB simply so that the consumer could not readily compare "apples to apples". Even if it is perhaps a better method it fails to offer the consumer the tools to make an informed decision. Doing so appears to be a deliberate decision to confuse the buying public, perhaps in their favor, perhaps not. Secondly the marketing decision to rate their 18V batteries as 20V Max which is not in accordance with the industry standard in how battery output is defined as being measured and labeled (using the nominal voltage output delivered over the life of the charge), it is purposefully deceiving to the buying public again to what end I wonder? And then there is the regular planned obsolescence of their battery platforms, where 20V Max is now at the beginning of its end while they usher in a very nice (but also very complex) and expensive 60V Flexvolt system which is not backward compatible, oops! I'm sure they didn't intend to do that!  There's also the tragic business decision Dewalt made to basically cease development of their 12V cordless system, I believe there is real value in that platform, clearly Bosch and Milwaukee appear to be thriving within this platform. These are many of the reasons I chose to invest in a different company when the time came for me to decide where to invest thousands of my hard earned dollars.  My general perception based heavily on the above information and much more was that Dewalt displayed a regular and consistent message of deception to the buying consumer and it was not an ideal that I felt comfortable buying into. That's not to say I haven't had periods of "tool envy" when Dewalt introduces tools that are not available from the brand I eventually bought into, it doesn't happen often but it still hurts! At least I can take comfort in the fact that this phenomenon exists amongst all brand loyalists...the real tragedy is Dewalt makes excellent products that I'm sure are at or near the top in most product lines which makes their persistent and repeated decision to deceive the consumer even more perplexing and in my opinion completely unnecessary.

I bought my Dewalt DWX726 stand through a third party vendor off of eBay, an unofficial seller. It was missing some bolts and the like. I called Dewalt, they ordered the parts and sent them to me for FREE.  Three months ago, one of my 60v batteries crapped out. I bought the 60v Circe saw on our forum from a great member, not an authorized seller. I called over to Dewalt and they sent me a brand new 60v battery for FREE.  I guess I like the commitment Dewalt has to their customers and the Research and Development they put in their tools. No proof of purchase, no receipts, no nothing. Just a call. They stand behind their products. And they are doing the whole global materials made here...I know that is a sensitive spot here but I like knowing that several of my Dewalt are assembled here. It might not be that big a deal to some, but it is to me. Kind of like my 2017 Toyota Tundra SR5/TRD Crewmax. Sure it’s Japanese but it was made in Texas. I like that.  

Milwaukee arguably has the best warranty in the business, of course I have had to use that warranty several times with brand new tools which made me change course and buy into Dewalt. Now I have some very specific Milwaukee tools to fit very specific purposes and am pretty happy with these purchases. Milwaukee has stepped up over the years and has really begun to put some quality work in their tool lineup. 

Remember when Milwaukee pushed out the V18 tools and then abruptly cancelled the lineup and went with the M18 lineup. Interestingly enough, they didn’t cancel the M28lineup completely but have limited the lineup.

Dewalt continues to support the original 18v lineup and even developed a conversion kit to power 18v tools with the 20v lineup. They added a 40v OPE lineup and developed the first multi volt battery system with the 60v lineup. True, you cannot power the 60v tools with the 20v batteries but...the other way works just fine and adds a ton more run time.

I guess everyone on this forum is polarized from one company to another. I’m not, that’s why I have like 20 different chargers on my rack. If you ask me Dewalt makes awesome tools. Period.  So does Ryobi. So does Milwaukee. So does Makita. So does Hitachi and on and on and on....And thus far I have no issues with any of the tool manufacturers I use. To the OP, @fm2176 I tried to go with one battery system, it just ain’t possible. Dewalt makes awesome tools. And a lot of them are made here. That’s pretty cool. Milwaukee is doing that now too. Pretty darn cool. But they don’t make ALL the tools. I wishe Dewalt kept the 12v tools coming, maybe they still will, maybe not. And to note, besides my Dewalt 20v nailers, the next group of nailers that I like and trust are lime green and made by Ryobi, not Milwaukee. Not Makita, not Hitachi and not Bosch. But alas, I have three Dewalt 20v nailers...the two speed framer, the 18g bradder and the 16g finish. I use them and have developed an opinion of them. They are sooooooooo sweet. My brother is a pro plumber and LOVES Milwaukee. He does not use any other tools till he drops into my shop and tries to grab my Festools...I don’t think so little bro...I don’t think so 😎

Just my two cents bro.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldDominionDIYer said:

Secondly the marketing decision to rate their 18V batteries as 20V Max which is not in accordance with the industry standard in how battery output is defined as being measured and labeled (using the nominal voltage output delivered over the life of the charge), it is purposefully deceiving to the buying public again to what end I wonder?

Did you know that every brand does the same thing with their 12V marketing? It's 10.8V nominal and 12V max. 

M10.8 doesn't have the same buzz that M12 does. Milwaukee is the worst offender. At least Makita and Bosch use "12V Max", Milwaukee just claim 12V.

I know they all deceive to some degree, but Dewalt are angels compared to Milwaukee.

• Like 2

For me the biggest thing for Dewalt is ergonomics. Every time I pick up something from another brand I feel like I get dropped off in 1989. 

I've had very few tool failures and no battery failures in the last 11 years. Reliability is key to making money. 

That said, Dewalt makes, consistently, the most worthless, punishing reciprocating saws to have ever existed. If this is a key tool for you...run. I have one of the compacts that sits on a shelf in my tool trailer. The only reason I keep it there is because when the day comes that Dewalt actually produces something that isn't complete dog shit, I'm going to take that medieval torture device out, set it on the concrete, and beat it with a sledgehammer until it's not yellow anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ChrisK that was a great rebuttal. 

for me, there are plenty of valid reasons to choose another brand of power tool over dewalt. Price, how hard you push your equipment, innovation etc but being salty about a brand slogan is silly. You’re only punishing yourself.