Why DeWalt? Why Not?

fm2176

Ooh and as far as the felling dogs (spikes) go... Come in handy on the bigger saws, but these smaller saws you don't really need them IMO... 

Milwaukee I think added them in to make the saw look tough more then anything like it's going to do serious cutting back in the woods with the big boys haha

5 hours ago, 07Sierra said:

Ooh and as far as the felling dogs (spikes) go... Come in handy on the bigger saws, but these smaller saws you don't really need them IMO... 

Milwaukee I think added them in to make the saw look tough more then anything like it's going to do serious cutting back in the woods with the big boys haha

Well it's good practise to cut your log as close to the motor as possible so rather have the logs hitting metal spikes then the plastic housing tho :)

• Like 1

Just another reason....that rolling stand I bought was from VMI, a store on eBay. Brand new, box damaged missing several screws. I contacted Dewalt. I just got a bag of screws and assorted bolts and washers. No proof of purchase, bought from an eBay store, not an authorized dealer. Bolt cost? Free. Shipping? Free. Customer service? Unbelievable.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking at a deal in screwfix - UK on a dewalt power drill cordless and it seemed really good, my son in law has used dewalt for a while , so I have now bought into the system and over the last 6 months made significant investment in the brand 

my Kit so far

Dewalt

Drill brushless cordless - special price at screwfix with 2 x 3ah batts - but since found out is very low in the range and would have preferred the 9 series version

Impact driver brushless cordless - which is really great - 3 speeds and 205nm, out a fence up recently against a small wall and this driver was invaluable 

Multitool brushless - came with 2 x 2ah batts

Jigsaw cordless

Circular saw brushless cordless

Planer brushless cordless 

Router DW625 - cabled - trend 35 bit set 

Various Dewalt drill bit sets , Dewalt driver sets , adapters.

I'm thinking of getting a 5AH battery - and asked a question for my son-in-law

The angle grinder - with the small head to get at wider angles

perhaps the  small cordless router when released 

going to go along to the FFX tool show in March hopefully there will be a few deals at the show 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ETAF said:

I'm thinking of getting a 5AH battery 

The 5 ah will improve performance of these tools. With the drill and impact you won't hardly see any difference in performance.  I have a couple 2 ah and a handful of flexvolt 2/6 ah which are more powerful than the 5 ah. The only difference I have seen when using either battery on a drill/impact is runtime. The power isn't noticeably different. The tools you will want a larger battery for are your circular saws, grinders, routers, planners, etc. Basically the tools that need lots of juice to run. May I suggest looking into Flexvolt batteries as well? They work in most 20v max tools including all the ones you listed.

Thanks for the reply, 

the router is corded DW625 

so as you mentions the saws and planner may benefit 

i have been looking at the flexivolt 6AH , but none of my tools need s flexivolt and now sure if the investment would see a return .

Went with Dewalt (3 speed impact + 2 speed hammer drill kit, including 2x 2.0A batteries) because the tools are generally cheaper than other brands but offer similar performance and quality (at least the tools that I initially purchased). Since then it just didn't make sense to go with other brands especially after I acquired a few more kits and a whole bunch of bare tools thereafter. 

I do a little research  and comparison before buying a new tool, yes Milwaukee offers a little more bunch (at least on paper, more on it later) but their tools cost more, sometimes much more. So really you are paying about the same $$$ per one performance unit (torque as an example). Sometimes Dewalt comes out better, sometimes its competitors. To better explain what I mean, a mid-range 1/2 impact from Dewalt (DCF894) produces 330 ft-lbs and costs $165 from www.mississaugahardware.com and from the same store, a new, mid-torque 1/2 from Milwaukee (2860) produces 450 ft-lbs (which is substantially more, at least on paper) but costs $279. All in all, you're getting about 2 ft-lbs of torque per $1 with Dewalt, and only about 1.6 ft-lbs per $1 with Milwaukee.

Now about my "on paper" comment - they all inflate the real output numbers of their tools, but from what I learnt over the years reading various reviews and comparisons, Milwaukee is generally worse than Dewalt.

In the end, even if the #s were true, Milwaukee has a little edge over Dewalt, but unless I was chasing the MAX numbers, I couldn't justify the price difference between the 2 companies (I haven't really considered other brands even though I've worked with Bosch, Makita, etc. - they were OK, just something about them didn't make me consider their line up.

I got annoyed with Dewalt for abandoning their 12v line back when I was staring to replace my NiCd tools, so I ended up primarily going with Milwaukee.  The 5 year warranty didn't hurt either.   Since then, I've got a couple of Dewalt 20v's to fill in the gaps and I forsee a Flexvolt DC in my near future.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Shurup said:

To better explain what I mean, a mid-range 1/2 impact from Dewalt (DCF894) produces 330 ft-lbs and costs $165 from www.mississaugahardware.com and from the same store, a new, mid-torque 1/2 from Milwaukee (2860) produces 450 ft-lbs (which is substantially more, at least on paper) but costs $279. All in all, you're getting about 2 ft-lbs of torque per $1 with Dewalt, and only about 1.6 ft-lbs per $1 with Milwaukee.

Just wanted to clarify that the Dewalt DCF894 as a bare tool costs $163 (USD) on Amazon while the Milwaukee 2860-20 (bare tool) costs $189 (USD) on amazon.  The $279 (CAD) price you quote is not really an accurate market price since it is available at most retailers at a much lower price. The Milwaukee 2860-21 which is a kit that includes a charger, 5.0Ah battery and tote bag can be had for $289 (USD) while the DCF894P2 kit from Dewalt comes in at $343 (USD) but includes a second 5.0ah battery along with a hard case and charger. So if one were to compare apple to apples the cost per torque ft/lbs is something more like this; Dewalt 2 ft/lbs per dollar, Milwaukee 2.4 ft/lbs per dollar but that's using the prices from Amazon.  All in all both of these units are great tools and it would appear the cost is very nearly the same making your choice more about which battery architecture you have bought into rather than a cost savings.

1 hour ago, OldDominionDIYer said:

Just wanted to clarify that the Dewalt DCF894 as a bare tool costs $163 (USD) on Amazon while the Milwaukee 2860-20 (bare tool) costs $189 (USD) on amazon.  The $279 (CAD) price you quote is not really an accurate market price since it is available at most retailers at a much lower price. The Milwaukee 2860-21 which is a kit that includes a charger, 5.0Ah battery and tote bag can be had for $289 (USD) while the DCF894P2 kit from Dewalt comes in at $343 (USD) but includes a second 5.0ah battery along with a hard case and charger. So if one were to compare apple to apples the cost per torque ft/lbs is something more like this; Dewalt 2 ft/lbs per dollar, Milwaukee 2.4 ft/lbs per dollar but that's using the prices from Amazon.  All in all both of these units are great tools and it would appear the cost is very nearly the same making your choice more about which battery architecture you have bought into rather than a cost savings.

What I said still stands as it is applicable to a Canadian market. I don't care what they cost in the US as I can't get those prices.

From Amazon.ca Milwaukee 2861-20 (2860 isn't available) costs $339. from the above-mentioned store www.mississaugahardware.com 2861-20 costs $279.

These 2 models were just one particular example where Dewalt is leading. With other tools Red and Yellow/Black are about the same value per performance unit. Sometimes Red is substantially more expensive.

If you want to compare amazon.ca prices only, 894 costs $230 CAD giving you about 1.4 ft/lbs per $1 while 2861 costs $339 CAD and is about 1.3 ft/lbs

Yea its kind of funny how markets can be so different.  At one time in the US Milwaukee had a price premium but as of recently they are almost identical on most things and in some cases like flagship bare tools, ex. hammer drill and impact driver, Dewalt has actually taken a slight lead in higher prices.

I hear ya on the Canadian market and that's a bummer but couldn't you buy from other American sourced suppliers like Acme Tools where it's still just $199.00 USD?? I only used Amazon because they're one example but maybe that was a bad example.  Here in the USA as "Biggie" mentioned the premium Milwaukee products have fallen to the point where there are often the best priced amongst the premium brands.  Not sure why there's such a huge mark up in Canada but I feel for you guys having to deal with that just because of an imaginary line. I just did a quick search on the Amazon.ca site and found this... maybe this will help at just 290.36 CAD...

Milwaukee 2861-20 M18 FUEL 1/2" Mid-Torque Impact Wrench

1 new from CDN$ 290.36

• 1 month later...

While I have owned Dewalt cordless tools in the past, they are not my cordless tools of choice currently, with the exception of their cordless drywall gun which I absolutely love. I don't even reach for my corded Hilton anymore. I do still have my first Dewalt circular saw that I bought over 25 years ago and it works great. I do really like Dewalt miter saws. Of my 5 miter saws, 3 of them are Dewalt (10", 12" dual bevel, and recently bought the DW799 12" dual bevel slider). I was ready to spring for the 12" Bosch axial glide saw but ended up picking up the Dewalt for $329 which I couldn't pass up. After a few minor adjustments to square everything up I'm really pleased with it. I have a few Dewalt corded angle grinders too that have served me well. Rounding out my Dewalt stuff are my 4.5 gallon wheeled compressor for big jobs and the "Ultimate" trim compressor for my trim jobs. That little fella is great.

• 2 years later...