fm2176

Why Milwaukee? Why Not?

It is my understanding that the current 9.0Ah HD battery employs 18650 cells (15 of them) but the new 6.0 and 12.0 Ah HO batteries are employing 21700 cells.  I have several of the 9Ah batteries and they work fine for my OPE and circular saw etc...but I to am going to pickup a 12.0Ah and see what if any difference it makes besides the longer run time benefits of the unit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

So I am curious how the 12ah High Demand is going to work with the chainsaw when it gets here.  I can tell you first hand the 9.0 will power the transfer pump for about 35-40 minutes.  Are the 9.0 batteries a different cell than the new 12.0? For Milwaukee tools now I have the 10" Mitersaw (it aint the Kapex but I like the saw, seems really well built), the transfer pump the surge and the new mid range impact wrench.  I am really excited by the chainsaw.  I really was torn with the Dewalt, the Makita X2 (I have the brushed 12" bar - love it) and the Milwaukee.  Regardless what will be interesting is how long my 9.0s power the chainsaw.  They are awesome in the miter. 

They are. 9.0 has more power than the 5.0 by running the additional 18650 cells in parallel, 12.0 gains it by the running the new 21700 cells and also running in parallel to gain Ah. I'm not sure what the max Watts of the 12.0 but it should be a substantial increase. Definitely worth an upgrade. I'd love a new 6.0 and 3.0 with the 21700 cells.

• Like 1

@ChrisKThe 12.0 uses 21700 cells, the 9.0 uses 18650, the 12.0 will be far more efficient, much more than the 33% you would expect going from the numbers.

The Milwaukee chainsaw seems to check all the boxes from a marketing standpoint. I love that it has spikes, and proper studs for the bar (unlike the FlexVolt). I can’t wait to see it in the hands of everyday people for honest feedback. 

@BMack37 the 12.0 will be 216 watt hours, and the cells stay cooler; they have crazy discharge rates for power output when necessary and better thermal management. 

@OldDominionDIYer I think the 12.0 will really wake up your circ saw and OPE; I expect you’ll have a tougher time stalling your circ saw, etc. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bremon said:

@ChrisKThe 12.0 uses 21700 cells, the 9.0 uses 18650, the 12.0 will be far more efficient, much more than the 33% you would expect going from the numbers.

The Milwaukee chainsaw seems to check all the boxes from a marketing standpoint. I love that it has spikes, and proper studs for the bar (unlike the FlexVolt). I can’t wait to see it in the hands of everyday people for honest feedback. 

@BMack37 the 12.0 will be 216 watt hours, and the cells stay cooler; they have crazy discharge rates for power output when necessary and better thermal management. 

@OldDominionDIYer I think the 12.0 will really wake up your circ saw and OPE; I expect you’ll have a tougher time stalling your circ saw, etc. 

These cells are definitely worth the hype, I really hope they bring them into lower Ah batteries...I know it may be confusing but I think it would be very worth it, specifically for stuff like the compact impact wrenches and saws.

Dewalt's Flexvolt chainsaw looks like an absolute joke. I hope Milwaukee's will be better. I don't think I'll ever buy a chainsaw but Team Red gotta Team Red.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:30 PM, D W said:

They have bigger cells so they can draw high amp at 18V like Milwaukee, or they can use the same battery and go 36V. They can also double up batteries like Makita and go 72V. 

Multi Volt is basically Flexvolt except you can switch between 18v and 36v instead of 18v and 54v? All 18v tools will work with Multi Volt batteries but if I am not mistaken a Multi Volt specific tool only works with a Multi Volt specific battery?

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

Multi Volt is basically Flexvolt except you can switch between 18v and 36v instead of 18v and 54v? All 18v tools will work with Multi Volt batteries but if I am not mistaken a Multi Volt specific tool only works with a Multi Volt specific battery?

That's right, and what @Bremon said.

Most Hitachi owners are probably more likely to be OK with buying a new battery because their old ones don't have any gauges!

I was incorrect in saying Multivolt "can draw high amp at 18V like Milwaukee". They likely can't because they only have 10 cells and not 15 like Milwaukee does (5 more cells to draw from at the same time). It would be better compared with Metabo LiHD (10 big cells).