fm2176

Why Ridgid (AEG)? Why Not?

This is the same as the DeWalt and Milwaukee threads.  Though Ridgid seems much less popular in these forums, what made you choose to buy into the brand, or set you against the idea?

For me it was the Georgia heat.  I was sweating away in my truck while staying overnight with initial entry soldiers in the field, loving the space in the backseat but unwilling to let it idle all night for the AC, as my coworkers would do in their much newer vehicles.  All of the buzz around the forum and on other tool-related sites was about the upcoming release of the DeWalt fan.  It was late August, I saw the fan would be available in October, and I figured that enough was enough.  After seriously considering Ryobi, a Special Buy lured me into Orange.  Buy two bare tools, get a 2.0Ah starter kit free.  Two is better than one, right?  Plus they had a few 4.0Ah two-packs left over.  The next day I forked over some $220 and walked out with two fans, three batteries, and a charger.  Follow-up Special Buys netted the router, ROS, air compressor (bought for $150, returned and rebought for $50 a week later), and vacuum.  Follow-up clearance deals found me with a special edition 4-tool kit (mainly for the two additional 4.0Ah batteries) and belt sander.  The fans?  Well worth it, I used both Monday while replacing my brake booster and master cylinder in the searing heat.  Everything else?  Outstanding so far.  The LSA for everything?  Kicked back once for the belt sander, scanning and uploading the receipt saw it approved within a few days; the 4-tool kit took a couple of weeks to process but was approved without a problem.

In Australia, AEG can only be bought from Bunnings. They're too expensive (priced higher than Dewalt and Makita) and their range is limited. I don't think there's many reasons to buy their line when the others are more available and at a lower price.

I felt like Ridgid tools were a bit bulky and the selection of tools seemed small compared to other brands even though it may have had tools other brands don't have. 

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

I felt like Ridgid tools were a bit bulky and the selection of tools seemed small compared to other brands even though it may have had tools other brands don't have. 

The tools take a little getting used to since I'm used to DeWalt, primarily the light trigger on the grip of the impact and drill I picked up.  In a way, it's very nice, being able to activate the light without pulling the trigger, but it can get annoying if something bumps against the tool, and I can imagine it would kill a battery if the tool is tossed in a bag with the battery attached and the light turns on often.  

That was one thing I liked about Ridgid was the extra buttton activate the light.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:48 AM, D W said:

In Australia, AEG can only be bought from Bunnings. They're too expensive (priced higher than Dewalt and Makita) and their range is limited. I don't think there's many reasons to buy their line when the others are more available and at a lower price.

I don't blame you...the tools I own are decent but I wouldn't put them quite in the top tier of brands.  They definitely aren't worth paying more than DeWalt and similar brands.

• Like 1

I own  damn near everything rigid makes.  I inherited my dads stuff when he retired.  A special buy on a 24v kit years ago got him started.  They were super tough and the warranty was good.  Fast forward 10 years or so, the 24v stuff is no longer available,  and the 18v stuff (what I call trinkets, fans, blowers, lights, etc) is good, but the stuff you use everyday (drills and impact) flat out suck anymore.  

Thus I'm keeping all the "trinkets" selling the drills, and rebuilding the 24v batteries.  

• Like 1

Their range of tools is too narrow for my needs. They’ve got a few solid products and if I only needed the basics or was a contractor for whom multiple platforms isn’t necessarily such an extra hinderance I might feel completely different. Some of their products are extremely price/performance-competitive.

Edit: Same time, it seems there’s a lot of development overlap between them and Ryobi. Lots of tools that share lots of parts. It’s enough to make one wonder where Ridgid may be heading. In my case though that mostly meant there was little reason to consider Ridgid when Ryobi is so similar and has drastically more tools.

Edited by ToolBane