2704/2703 broken side handle mount. Is it covered under warranty?

Biggie

The other day I was drilling with my 2703 and it was a rare situation where I decided to use a side handle.  Well sure enough the drill caught and chipped off the gear case where the handle mounts.  Now this is a pretty well known issue on these drills and I was just wondering if anyone has tried to warranty a drill with this problem?  Is it considered wear and tear or is it a design flaw that they cover?  

In their defense I was pushing the tool hard when it happened.  I had a 1/2" slotted hole in a 1/4" plate of steel that I had to upsize to a 5/8" for an anchor bolt.  I had 14 holes to drill and I knew the bit was going to catch multiple times but I was in the field with no other real options.  So I don't really feel the need to push the issue as to weather or not they should fix it I just thought if others had sent it in and got it fixed with no issues I might send it in.

I'm thinking I'll probably wait until I get my gen 3 drill and then I'll try send it in to see what happens.  

They did change the side handle design on the gen 3.  It's not like dewalt but it looks like a more solid design.  If I remember right in one of the videos from nps2018 the milwaukee rep even comments about how the side handles a new tougher design.  So obviously they've had some issues with the gen 2.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:42 PM, Biggie said:

I'm thinking I'll probably wait until I get my gen 3 drill and then I'll try send it in to see what happens.  

They did change the side handle design on the gen 3.  It's not like dewalt but it looks like a more solid design.  If I remember right in one of the videos from nps2018 the milwaukee rep even comments about how the side handles a new tougher design.  So obviously they've had some issues with the gen 2.

I just looked it up, either I forgot about that or didn't notice it.

2803-22_2.ashx?mw=520&mh=520&hash=DD66B5

milwaukee-m18-fuel-hammer-drill-next-gen

Looks like four engagement points and meatier parts of the housing and improved leverage. I still don't love that split design, Dewalt's is soo nice, easy to do one-handed and not looking. Milwaukee's you have to shake it, if there is dust and grime in it, you have to turn the lugs...then most of the time you go to tighten and the lugs lift from their indents and you're back at square one.