Ryobi 18V tool wish list?

Brlux

Just for fun, what are some 18V Ryobi tools you wish to see. I will start.

A cordless portable band saw, I have a corded Dewalt one that I love, but would be great to have a cordless option and all my big cordless tools are Ryobi 1+ system. I know Milwaukee has one in their 18V line and a tiny one in their 12V line, so it should not be a stretch. Why all the nitch and unique tools without covering this base?

I would like a much more powerful 1/2" brushless impactor. Ridged has one that looks like the current Ryobi 3 speed not sure how it compares for power but it should not be a stretch. For comparison of what I am dreaming about, my buddy does all Makita tools and he has a massive 1/2" brushless impactor, ( XWT08Z ) it is rated for 1180 ft/lb. It is a bit deceptive as it does not spin fast or try to jump out of your hands when you pull the trigger like a brushed tool does, is it has kind of an anemic first impression but man it hits hard and I have yet to fins a fastener it can not remove. I am still using the original P260 1/2" impactor and it did get some much needed life breathed in to it with the 4Ah (P108) batteries and now the 6Ah (P193) batteries seem to make the tool even better.

I would also like a quiet brushless impactor(1/4" hex) like the ridged stealth force pulse driver (R86036K), also should not be a stretch.

I am excited about these new Lithium + HP batteries and am looking forward to expanding my tools to use with them. FYI I took apart my 6AH (P193) battery and it looks to be using 10 cells that I would guess are 20650. Could not get access to the actual cells without destructive disassembly.  But they looked wider than 18mm and were definitely 650mm long. Probably something like LG HG6 20650 30A Flat Top 3000mAh Battery cells. The new terminals for the HP batteries and the brushless tools seem to be a serial port type communication. On the PCB they were labeled DT and DR. The brushless angle grinder was great on the 4Ah P108s but is nearly unstallable withe the 6Ah battery, amazing. There is a youtube video comparing the Brushless 7-1/4" circular saw with the 4 and 6Ah batteries and the improvement there was significant.

Thanks for letting me dream.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 6:30 PM, Claeg said:

there is already a quiet impact called "quietstrike" i believe. 

I would like to see a one handed recip saw like the hackzall. also a 400+ cfm brushless blower for the one plus lineup. 

You could always use the JobPlus multitool with the JobMax reciprocating saw head. That's what I do.

There is the QuietStrike driver if you don't want your ears rattled.  For my wants, I'm mostly happy with what Ryobi offers now, but I wouldn't mind if they wandered off into automotive territory.  I can't imagine 18v being ideal for cordless ratchets, but a grease gun, more impact wrenches, and maybe even some sort of power puller and/or press system (for ball joints and the like) would be nice.  My old standby 48 oz. hammer and specialty tools work well, hey, we've gotten other cordless tools I never imagined we would see.

Ryobi does have the quiet strike impact.  I used it yesterday, on the job.  A guy brought it and I was curious.  It feels a little different than a traditional impact, but it is very quiet.  I think it is quieter than a drill.  I used it for about an hour.  No complaints with performance.  It was a little different in the hand, compared to DeWalt, but if I used it all the time, I would get used to it.  It's is quiet.

It runs about $70 for a bare tool.  He bought it as a "Special Buy" and it was $70 for the impact, charger, and battery.  The battery was the better one of the 1.5 amp hr.  

As far as a tool I would like to see: Framing nailer.  We've had no problems with the Ryobi brad nailers and stapler.  In fact, I saw a review where Ryobi was the most powerful finish nailer tested.  

I think they could do a framing nailer.  I would buy it.

• Like 3

Ryobi does surprise me with certain tools.  I love the Nailer line up and would be curious about the framing nailer.  These quiet strike impacts, it is amazing how quiet they are especially when you're in a basement or closed area when framing.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 11:51 PM, Brlux said:

I would like a much more powerful 1/2" brushless impactor. Ridged has one that looks like the current Ryobi 3 speed not sure how it compares for power but it should not be a stretch. For comparison of what I am dreaming about, my buddy does all Makita tools and he has a massive 1/2" brushless impactor, ( XWT08Z ) it is rated for 1180 ft/lb. It is a bit deceptive as it does not spin fast or try to jump out of your hands when you pull the trigger like a brushed tool does, is it has kind of an anemic first impression but man it hits hard and I have yet to fins a fastener it can not remove. I am still using the original P260 1/2" impactor...

The Ridgid you’re thinking of is probably their new brushless Gen-5. Ridgid and Ryobi often share a lot of their tool parts and general designs, so your hopes for a new brushless Ryobi might actually be pretty good. I wouldn’t expect it to upstage the Ridgid at all, in fact most likely it will be the same motor and gearbox with a few budget-minded changes to meet a lower price-point, so its numbers will likely be close to identical.

I used the Ryobi angled finish nailer, 15ga, yesterday.  It did fine.  It is big and heavy.  after the first 5 minutes, nobody even mentioned it again.

It cycles a little different than the Ryobi brad nailer, but everything worked as it should and it sunk nails everytime.

If they come out with a Ryobi framing nailer, I will buy one.