Moving Sucks, aka I Really Need a Shop

fm2176

Consider this thread an apology of sorts for being stingy with pictures since joining.  My phone (or its operator) was unable to get pics uploaded until the past few months, and over the past two years my tools were gradually misplaced, hidden in various boxes, or literally buried by stuff.  As I prepare for my move I'm consolidating everything, though, and figure it will be good to share some pics with the forum.  An ulterior motive also exists: if anything is stolen en route I'll have some pictures documenting what I own.  I still have to finish my tool tracker and take photos of all the serial numbers; Ridgid is the only system where everything is documented, for obvious reasons (LSA).

I'll be updating this thread in the coming month and apologize in advance for my lack of photography skills.  As my wordy posts reveal, I am more of a writer.  Also, bear in mind that many of these tools are in like-new condition, used a few times at most.  Training the future of the Army kind of precludes having any life outside of work, but now that I'm free I can actually use my tools (a novel concept, I know).  Please overlook the random dog toys and detritus all over.

So, to start, DeWalt ToughSystem boxes, Ryobi bandsaw (yes, it's new in the box, didn't see a reason to unbox it only to have to pack it up again a couple of months later), JawHorses, and JawStand:

1527617458401-1791525882.thumb.jpg.4c31b6f10a642c3364586b572b0a9d96.jpg

The next picture is a bit more rosy:

1527618992633209047319.thumb.jpg.8d7c20fc6e7573192c7115117832167a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

Any of that German engineered Green in the horizon?

Unfortunately, no.  I'm tempted to check into Festool dust collectors, though, and if I ever have another extensive drywall project I might buy one of their drywall sanders on a whim.

Of course, there's also a good possibility my tool budget will be curtailed by buying materials to start renovating the in-law's property.  In the short term I have a pool to install and probably have to replace yet another toilet (where heavy duty pvc-dipped gloves come in handy--Homie don't play that crap).  Also, Friday will be my last pay period with my $375 Special Duty Assignment Pay, which has largely funded tool purchases.  My housing allowance increase for NOVA should more than make up for it, but that depends on what I pay for rent.

Along the lines of you taking these pics in case some walk off...I always take pics when I get something of any value for insurance purposes(including serial numbers), I also hide labels in the battery doors. I've always worried that I'd be on site and someone would claim my Fluke or power tools as theirs...unless there are cameras or you have a hidden marking, it's my word versus theirs.

Or in some cases like Knipex...I do a picture and a spread sheet so if I find a deal I can see if I already have it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Along the lines of you taking these pics in case some walk off...I always take pics when I get something of any value for insurance purposes(including serial numbers), I also hide labels in the battery doors. I've always worried that I'd be on site and someone would claim my Fluke or power tools as theirs...unless there are cameras or you have a hidden marking, it's my word versus theirs.

Or in some cases like Knipex...I do a picture and a spread sheet so if I find a deal I can see if I already have it.

I have a spreadsheet that I need to complete for my power tools, but probably don't need to bother with one for the hand tools as I don't currently work in a trade, so the only chance of someone pilfering them is if family or a friend "borrows" them, or someone breaks in.  One of the many things I feel I should do as I get ready for the move is finally take pictures of everything (most of which won't be posted here) and at least write down the serial numbers.  

I bought more stuff today, adding the Ryobi Devour and a One Key kit to my tools, so unless I decide to go into business for myself I'll probably end up either compulsively torture testing some of the drills or eventually selling some. 

The sadly humorous thing is that it's unlikely I'll ever work another job requiring heavy tool usage.  Even if I wanted to, I'll be too broke down after my military service, but my goal of attaining a degree in Construction Management before retirement will give me a chance at being competitive for related jobs that may pay more and not require a lot of heavy lifting.

• Like 1