New rafter hook?

builditguy

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

How much do people even use rafter hooks?

Personally, all the time. It’s like push button start. It sounds stupid and unnecessary but once you grow accustomed to it you realize it’s such a pleasant feature. 

I pick things up off the ground enough in a day. Being able to hang a circ saw or recip at a comfortable height is nice. There isn’t always a suitable spot to set it at the same height. 

It’s a popular enough feature that Dewalt implemented them after being called out infinite times on social media, and Milwaukee has beefed up their hook on the 2732 because they eventually broke on the 2730 and 2731. 

Hooks are probably preferable on the tool but it wouldn't be so bad making a universal hook out of metal rod (not attached to the tool). Then you can hook almost any tool you like; on a rafter, a ladder, or your belt.

I wish they'd start making a hook or belt clip for cordless angle grinders. I guess I should try and make one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D W said:

Hooks are probably preferable on the tool but it wouldn't be so bad making a universal hook out of metal rod (not attached to the tool). Then you can hook almost any tool you like; on a rafter, a ladder, or your belt.

I wish they'd start making a hook or belt clip for cordless angle grinders. I guess I should try and make one. 

AWP, the brand of tool bags and pouches sold by Lowe's here in the US, makes what they call a Monster Hook.  A quick search reveals that it is sold under a few brands.  Basically, you put it on a belt and can hang about anything on it.

Werner has two accessories designed for use with the Lock-In system they use on some of their stepladders.  One is a hook similar to the Monster Hook that slides into compatible holes on the ladder, while the other is a Tool Lasso that is wrapped around the tool and has a ball on the end.  The latter comes with a belt adapter for greater versatility.

Before I jumped the shark on collecting power tools, I picked up a number of Tool Lassos when Lowe's clearanced them out for as little as $1 or so.  They work great so long as you have a ladder handy.  I used to bring a couple podium style ladders for my projects, with Lock-In buckets attached so I had a handy place to set things at a convenient height.  The only downside is that the tools aren't really that secure if you use the belt adapter.  If you kneel down amd the tool rests on the floor or another object the Lasso may lift off the adapter.  

• Like 1

Hit the Wrong button.

We used the saw, today. I got some “hands on” time, as did everyone else.
Overall, it is worthless. No power. The old 6 1/2” have more power.
About 2:00, I heard, “ $&&$&&?£€>It jus doesn’t have any power. Complete waste of money.
Tomorrow, I will call Acme tool to see what their return policy is.

In a positive note, the bevel adjustments are very good. The switch and overall motor running, is good. The guard is great.

My opinion stay away from this saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the Wrong button.

We used the saw, today. I got some “hands on” time, as did everyone else.
Overall, it is worthless. No power. The old 6 1/2” have more power.
About 2:00, I heard, “ $&&$&&?£€>It jus doesn’t have any power. Complete waste of money.
Tomorrow, I will call Acme tool to see what their return policy is.

In a positive note, the bevel adjustments are very good. The switch and overall motor running, is good. The guard is great.

My opinion stay away from this saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's weird I got the 570 also mine did not come with the fancy rafter hook, but it does well for rough work and ripping ply

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I went with the last circular saw I'll ever buy (until FlexVolt is no longer supported, probably 2020 with my luck), the DCS577.  As much as it cost, it's the last saw I can afford!  💸

Just a small update on the saw.

My foreman mentioned it a few times, yesterday.  Mostly as he was cutting stuff with the 6 1/2".  One of the main issues, in his opinion, was the slow start up.  While ripping a board, the saw would stall/stop.  Then, you couldn't just pull the trigger again and get it going.  He thinks the slow start up/ wind up was a big issue.  Admittedly he used it more than I did.  Doesn't matter either way.

I called Acme and they let me return it.  I feel bad about it.  This isn't something I normally do.  They said I need to pay for shipping.  They also mentioned, there may be a re-stocking fee, because I used it.  I'm fine with that.  We did use it.  That is kind of the point.  Packaging it up, today.  I appreciate their understanding.  The new one will come from them.  (I order alot from them anyway)

Just need to decide on which flexvolt to get.  The foreman asked me why I thought we needed anything besides the 6 1/2".  I just think it will be better.  The 6 1/2" do fine, but once you get your hands on a corded saw, you realize how how nice it is.  Don't get me wrong, I am committed to going cordless, but going with the old stand by, is nice, once in a while.  

One comment on the rafter hook.  Although we didn't use this one, I like the hook.  Not that we are normally "up in the rafters" and need a hook, just that I like being able to hang the saw, somewhere.

While at the saw horses, I usually set it on the ground.  It's just my way.  A long time ago, I had a boss that required the tool be hung.  He had some crap peg on the saw horses to hang a tool.  My thinking was that the saw could fall to the ground, which happened occasionally.  I like to just sit it on the ground, near and under the saw horses.  My preference.

As far as the rafter hook, I notice it most, when we are sheathing a roof.  I like to hook the saw on the top sheet.  Just my preference.

What style are you used to? Blade left or blade right? Get the corresponding FlexVolt saw. The 577 worm drive style is a bit of a battery pig allegedly. I’ve been happy with battery life on my 575, but it has less power than the 577 (quite a lot less if I’m not mistaken). I also only use the 3.0/9.0 FlexVolt batteries. I sold off all the crappy 6.0s they came with. 

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

What style are you used to? Blade left or blade right? Get the corresponding FlexVolt saw. The 577 worm drive style is a bit of a battery pig allegedly. I’ve been happy with battery life on my 575, but it has less power than the 577 (quite a lot less if I’m not mistaken). I also only use the 3.0/9.0 FlexVolt batteries. I sold off all the crappy 6.0s they came with. 

I can cut with either hand, but I am a lefty so I went 575. It will also fit places the 577 won’t. Can’t comment on 577 battery draw but I have 3 dcb606 (the 6/2) and when using the fast charger I’ve never had to wait on a battery. 

Ultimately your choice will be based on preference, they are both great saws. 

Really how bad is this saw?  I've been debating getting a circular saw for awhile and I wasn't real sure which way I wanted to go.  I don't typically work with wood but I have a few shelving projects I want to do around the house and at my business we occasionally we do some concrete flat work where we form with 2x6 wood forms.  I know the 575 is more than capable for my needs and I have a few flexvolt batteries but we have two trucks running on 20v at work so I would prefer to stay in the 20v just for simplicity of batteries.  My only previous experience with circular saws were the old 18v dewalt cordless which were pretty much garbage.  

I had been going back and forth between the 575 and 570 as cpo dropped the price to $150 and $130.   When I looked today I see they have a free 6.0 battery with the 570 as well as free shipping.  I really want to pull the trigger on the 570 but after reading this review I kind of got scared that maybe I should be getting the 575.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Really how bad is this saw?  I've been debating getting a circular saw for awhile and I wasn't real sure which way I wanted to go.  I don't typically work with wood but I have a few shelving projects I want to do around the house and at my business we occasionally we do some concrete flat work where we form with 2x6 wood forms.  I know the 575 is more than capable for my needs and I have a few flexvolt batteries but we have two trucks running on 20v at work so I would prefer to stay in the 20v just for simplicity of batteries.  My only previous experience with circular saws were the old 18v dewalt cordless which were pretty much garbage.  

I had been going back and forth between the 575 and 570 as cpo dropped the price to $150 and $130.   When I looked today I see they have a free 6.0 battery with the 570 as well as free shipping.  I really want to pull the trigger on the 570 but after reading this review I kind of got scared that maybe I should be getting the 575.

If you’ve already got the batteries, get a 575 having more power doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll use it all the time, but the saw will take less stress and last longer.