Got Robbed

Conductor562

F$&king dopeheads! Stole my Dewalt DCD985 kit (with 2 5 ah packs and a slew of bits) along with a big Blackhawk socket set, a small 12V compressor, and worst of all, my Wilton ATV vise out of my truck. I was doing some work in the baseball field concession stand and had been going back and forth to the truck getting tools and materials. Opened my toolbox up to get my drill, and my shit was gone. No idea who it could have been. Concession stand is out of sight of the parking lot and it had been 30 minutes since I’d been back to the truck. Never dreamed I’d have to worry about anything like that happening. 

Not work tools, just a road kit I keep in the truck for all the things that pop up along the way, especially with the Camper or at the ballfield. 

The 985 was really overkill for what I use it for. I found a Makita Brushless Drill/Driver on clearance at HD to replace it. Only came with a single 3.0ah battery, but it was only $50 so if it runs off, I’m not out much. 

I would like like to get a Makita impact to go with it, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I’m shopping for the replacement socket set as we speak. 

That sucks!  Thieves are one thing that irks me beyond words.  The thought of someone violating our personal space and taking our property is bad enough.  Knowing that the thief or thieves are most likely druggies who will sell the stuff for another fix is even worse.  

Glad you found a replacement drill so fast, though, and hopefully you'll getba comparable socket set at a decent price.  With luck, maybe the stolen items will pop up somewhere to be reclaimed.

32 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Do not forget your insurance bro. You might be able to claim it on your auto policy.

Also, check your homeowners policy.  USAA covers up to 10% of the total personal property coverage for items not on the insured property.  This is how I was able to file a claim on stuff stolen from a house I was renting without renter's insurance.

• Like 1

Reminds me of back when I used to go to my project house alone.  😄

Shortly after starting work there a double murder and arson took place a few miles away.  The house had been a foreclosure in a rural area and it seemed that everyone who passed by slowed down to see who was there.  Needless to say, I kept a sidearm holstered along with a shotgun near at hand and my dog for good measure.  I figured that being a lone minority in the area flaunting lots of expensive tools made me a potential target to some.  

• Like 1

I thought about making an insurance claim, but with a $500 deductible, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle.

Ordered the Tekton 3/8” Master set this morning. It’s got Metric and SAE from 8-19 and 5/16 - 3/4, deep and shallow, which covers 90+% of my road set needs. For $49.99 you can’t beat it and I’ve got all the faith in the world in Tekton customer service. Sockets are great, ratchets are generic, run of the mill 72T Taiwan, but useable. 

882FBE78-C128-4F3D-8088-56F57B6F4260.thumb.jpeg.3d5bac95a418fccca7ee239ea676da3f.jpeg

Also grabbed this Kobalt inflator for $50. I liked that it’s 12V or 120V and has a pressure setting with auto shut off. Again, nothing extraordinary, but sufficient.

2B9283CB-CD6B-437B-A5D5-C5CFBB3C9F5A.jpeg.bfd7e07634f4c18223f264d0dd5dd9dd.jpeg

If I get ripped off again I’m out $150 at most. I probably won’t replace the ATV Vise. As much as I loved it, I just don’t think I got enough use out of it to justify replacing it. Maybe someday.

• Like 2

I keep a truck box full of well-worn tools with little monetary value.  In my opinion, less expensive yet perfectly serviceable tools beat shiny premium brand tools just asking to be stolen, at least when it comes to vehicle kits.

The above statement aside, I absolutely loath the scum that steal things out of vehicles, businesses/jobsites, and homes.  While all theft sucks, I think that there is a slight gap between those who blatantly steal something and those who find a forgotten item and simply don't try to seek its owner.  

I'm a fairly peaceful person, especially after taking part in shenanigans overseas, but when my home was broken into I parked the truck in the woodline and prayed the thieves would come back again.