Miter station build

rrich1

I have been in dire need of a miter station for I don't know how long now. With building my hand tool cabinet I had to move my miter saw to the other bench. Well that just isn't working. There is no dust collection besides the shop vac hose and the Bosch has miserable DC to begin with so it really isn't any help.

With my limited space I needed to put my drill press in the miter station as well. That presented some design issues that needed to be addressed. I think I have them worked out though. Since I haven't taken the time to learn SketchUp or fusion 360 yet, I draw out all of my plans. This make me actually math sometimes which is fine. Don't judge my super sweet drafting skills.

Thanks miter station will be 104" wide. Ill have slightly over 6' to the right and 2.5' to the left. To the left of the miter station is 3 more feet to the wall. I currently store my planer flip top cart there. There is also a door there. So if a longer space is really needed I can just open the door. The bottom right will be open as that is my crawl space access. It works out for me anyways as I keep the shop vac and air compressor there. Nothing should change there. It will have 4 spaces for drawers. They won't be super wide as I won't have the space. I think they come out to 11", 11.5", and 14.5" wide, plus whatever the final saw space needed is.

Yesterday I went and bought three sheets of 3/4" maple plywood. I had one already at home. This will get me the carcass construction and base top at least. I haven't figured out a drawer layout so that will come later. I might keep some of it open for cutoff storage.

Today I started to break down the plywood. I broke two down at 24"x36.25". I had maple veneer left over from the armoire build and used it to veneer the front faces. [emoji16]

My current bench is 37" and I like the height. I'm 6'1" so it measures out pretty nicely. I used my kreg jig and drilled the holes out for two of the cabinets. I got one of them assembled today before the gym and work. I'll put the other one together tomorrow. If I had a Makita oil impulse impact I would do it after work tonight lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

47fcfdfa8892746fba4ab4fad29bb68a.jpgcc77a88611f9df2c2a9c68f4460ce507.jpg61aea3d1e67f0a6f96d4ca5c81c56d4d.jpg

• Like 5

This is an older photo of my current set up. The only reason I attached it is because it’s on the wodest wall I still have available. I commonly have up to 10’+ hanging on the left side of my saw on the support. I too am going to be building an entire miter saw, storage location with room for my mortiser. The thing is I need a lot of room for longer pieces and have worked hard to keep that wall behind my saw clear... 

Also, being of similar mind, I went to architectural and mechanical drafting school back when autocad was being introduced....yeah....87-89. Your drawing skills are 🤟 I run all Apple and cannot use Sketchup and don’t know what Fusion is. Cannot wait to see the finished product dude and I just received my plans for the tool cabinet from Finewoodworking. I did not realize they were free (digital) to members of the library. Dohhh! 

9D311A21-26A9-4E37-8D0A-E83ABB022625.jpeg

• Like 3

@chrisk thanks. Have you watched the video workshop videos for the cabinet? They are a big help. The only free plans I saw for it we're from the magazine article itself. We're there other free plans? I bought the digital ones and was happy I did.

Last night after work I made the second cabinet. Still finalizing the last cabinet design. It is the one that will house the drill press. Also need to get more veneer. I ran out before I could do the horizontal pieces for that cabinet.

• Like 1

2nd and 3rd cabinets are built. Figuring out the spacing for the miter saw. I think 35.5" for the base and above the fence will be 41.5". I think I'll be leaving off the upper half of the fences. This will allow me to use the bevel function of the miter saw. ef7e24e7c05bb7fad4e6a8a1f06ec657.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rrich1 said:

@chrisk thanks. Have you watched the video workshop videos for the cabinet? They are a big help. The only free plans I saw for it we're from the magazine article itself. We're there other free plans? I bought the digital ones and was happy I did.

Last night after work I made the second cabinet. Still finalizing the last cabinet design. It is the one that will house the drill press. Also need to get more veneer. I ran out before I could do the horizontal pieces for that cabinet.

No no, I paid for the plans and they came in last week? Haven’t pooped through them yet but they were having a sale so I said why not? I have not seen the video workshop for the cabinet, is that on the site?

No no, I paid for the plans and they came in last week? Haven’t pooped through them yet but they were having a sale so I said why not? I have not seen the video workshop for the cabinet, is that on the site?
Ya it is. It's a 6 part series I think. Let me see if I can find the link and send it to you. Have to be a member to watch them.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:08 PM, comp56 said:

not going to lie, the picture of mine isn't gong to help with any kind f plans for you but might give some idea's 

milwaukee finished.jpg

😮 

Awesome Comp. You’re always raising the bar!

Out with the old and starting in with the new. I still need to take out the right side of the old bench. That will allow me to put a back strip along the back wall to attach the plywood to. I'm thinking of setting the front of the cabinets 32" from the rear wall. that should give me plenty of room for the saw and dust collection. The top cabinets will probably end up being 20 or 22" deep. Giving me plenty room for a shelf for the wood to sit on for cuts. The right cabinet needs to go over about another inch or so to get it where I want it.

I'm not feeling the leveling system. I think I might get longer bolts and thread them in from the top. This will allow me adjustment from the inside and not the bottom. At the moment I plan to put drawers in them so it shouldn't be an issue accessing them later if needed. Thoughts? 17461484c392fd4f7ab60fbb35e66404.jpgb06b8d37e495dcf38de70d99f55ba25c.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good bro, so the bolts are too small or just changing the placement? As far as levelling from inside? I think is a great idea, if the drawer runners aren’t in the way I that’d be great. You know as well as I once your get that stand in place trying to reach out back from underneath will be a headache waiting to happen.

• Like 1

you going to instal a level on your top?
Sorry, not sure what you mean. If youre asking of I'm going to install cabinets on top then yes I am. I will take down the peg board when I get there.

Got all the bolts that I needed to switch the leveling system around. I had to get some longer bolts and cut them down with an angle grinder.

Instead of trying to fight leveling the back support for the plywood top on the wall I think I am going to cut and attach the plywood to the cabinets, put it into place and them move the support into place and drill it in. Bad idea?

Also I am going to cut the section out for the miter saw and get it attached to the cabinets. This will get my final length perfectly in place and with the levelers available from the top I can adjust them perfectly once I final position.

Btw...I'm about to have an aneurysm with my garage the way that it is right now. 🤪

Some pics of the old vs new leveling bolts. d6249ac4fcb1384f7a65df16743a1496.jpg962dc3ac1b3df2538edeba9dc71644a9.jpg0873301188ffdf9d8234a94cefc20633.jpg8b68cf4e5480316c2151bd6dea6d5efb.jpg0c7434e21a49d8c3a21905a1dc7bd809.jpg

• Like 2

Progress!

Got a lot of work done today but no gym time. Ugh.

First I jointed and ripped a 2x4 for the back supports for the plywood top. I attached the back support for the right cabinet and cut the top. I overhung the front for door fronts to be pretty flush. I still need to attach the right side support, miter table support, and left cabinet support.

I then measured for the height of the miter saw table. I then used some scrap pieces of plywood and made the side supports. I cut the top to fit and veneered the front. The other day I bought a dust collection port and at the time it seemed huge. Now that it is in I wish I would have bought two. Now that I think about it I never even measured left to right to even remotely center it. Now my OCD is going to kick in. I bought some mesh from ACE yesterday and glued it in between the dust port and plywood. I then attached a flexible dust hose that I bought for it to wrap around. Since I don't have a stationary dust collection I think I have a clever idea to attach it. More on that later. I then attached a front support for the miter table section.

Up next is to make a shelf for the drill press to sit on. Then I can make a top and finsih all the rear supports. 619d15d17a8a74c3a101359806b122d1.jpgb46b1f2213e2dfa74fcc9fc9b5d48059.jpg271a7256b56e00a5cc9ed0ac0b8bd345.jpg26cd7ea69821f6ba55e051b08c0cae40.jpg

• Like 2

Wife went to bed early so I got some more shop time. I managed to clean up a bit and moved the old benches to the front of the garage. They will get picked up tomorrow by my friend. Next I ran the dust collection hose for the miter saw. I brought it over to the right side and have it extending out a little bit. Since my dust collector is mobile, I just attach the hose with a spring clamp and I'm ready to cut. Keeping it to the right and not under the saw keeps it out of my way while cutting. c4733d2d81458d419ee9366a038f88a7.jpga0620ab16dc2fbcd3820766bbb8d7f59.jpg

• Like 2

State of the miter station today. Last night and today I cut out the upper cabinet section and put it together. The left side will house vertical doors that will pull out (Jon heisz and jakman works on YouTube style), and the right side will be drawers or a charging station.

Once I make the enclosure for the miter saw itself, I will make cubbies that span the length from the wall to the drill press.

Today I also sanded and put water based polyurethane on the fronts and tops of the base and front of the upper cabinet. When I get home tonight I'll sand it lightly and put another coat on. I have training tomorrow so the third coat will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. Should have the upper cabinet installed tomorrow evening. 8373feb4cf04234ceaf8905d638f9848.jpg93a15cf22d84676a0046213e1c8612c0.jpg4ddf9b076c08c8f8215b4d89ae5a844f.jpg

• Like 2