Miter station build

rrich1

Exactly what my wreck looks right now, don’t feel bad bro it’ll get better, I started in the shop again yesterday.
I saw you take the wall and move it. What are your plans? Going to get to the workbench too?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

I saw you take the wall and move it. What are your plans? Going to get to the workbench too?

Yeah, I was able to add some real useable space and an area dedicated to the lathe. I also have a foldaway rollaway Dewalt cart that’ll be here Thursday so I can get my planer off that huge pile of lumber and sawhorses which will free up an enormous amount of floor space. I have to finish the legs for the bench, they are all laminated but I’ll need to plane them down to size then fit in the tool well and skirt and attach the legs and put in the quick release vise I got. I also have a sliding vice for the end but I think I will end up making a Roubo at some point and use that one for that. It’s a real blessing being able to get going again on these projects!

@chrisk awesome! Can't wait to see the shop and bench come together. I've really like my flip top cart for my planer. If we ever move to a different house (few years down the road) I'll probably make a roubo with a wagon vise.

• Like 1

I got the last coat of poly on and got the upper cabinet into place. I then layed out the vertical slide out doors. I changed the layout a little bit and am now able to get 4 doors instead of 3. This will give me a door soley for router bits. The drawer slides did t come with any hardware so that's it for the night. 9bb9b78fa87609dfd6b47500356f9956.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I got the last coat of poly on and got the upper cabinet into place. I then layed out the vertical slide out doors. I changed the layout a little bit and am now able to get 4 doors instead of 3. This will give me a door soley for router bits. The drawer slides did t come with any hardware so that's it for the night. 9bb9b78fa87609dfd6b47500356f9956.jpg

Looking awesome bro!

• Like 1

Got some work done again tonight. I started on the upper vertical doors by getting the spacing I wanted and I put the lower glides in. Then I realized an error/oversight on my part. When I put the casework upper support in, that took 3/4" of spacing on the back side of the support. I went to out the upper glide in and it was too long. So I was on anle to do the lowers tonight. I will order some 20" door slides and use 20" on top and 22" on bottom. As long as the spacing is correct front to back there shouldn't be any issues....I think. It is late and I'm probably wrong.

Next I worked on the fence system. I got the piece cut out and put 2 dados in. 1 for the t track and 1 for the fastcap stick on tape measure. This keeps the tape measure from protruding out and being worn down. I put the t track in but I am a few screws short so I'll need to get some more tomorrow.

Tomorrow I would like to start on the saw dust shroud that will enclose the saw on the sides and top. After that probably some doors for the lower cabinets. c8c83313b13306a82c6db59a2f44e8ab.jpgc494d40e6794e13af16d05c2d63046cb.jpg7ab2a426090ce450328ad296a0bb4c89.jpg

• Like 2

Good news and bad news.

Good news: I got the miter saw dust shroud basically finished. I need to take it apart, sand it, and put finish on it before I install it. I think I am going to make a remove able cover like Bob from I like to make stuff did with his. He used a white board type material as well so he could write on it if he wanted.

Bad news: I need to redo the fence with the t track. I put the t track too close to the tape measure. It needs to come down further. Otherwise I have no room to put the market and the lower portion would cover part of the tape. Ugh. I had that dad perfect for the tape too. Oh well. baa109f9871db031393ca4aee87593fd.jpg

• Like 1

Little bit of work done today/tonight. I got the miter saw surround taken apart, 2 coats of poly put on, and put back together. Before attaching it to the rest of the cabinet, I cut a hole in the back for the only outlet on my wall. Fearing all the dust might cause an issue for it I bought an exterior weatherproof outlet cover. I place a little bit of fo inside of the cord inlet to help keep the dust down.

I also cut the vertical door pieces. The shorter slides will be here later today. Tonight I should be able to get them on and at least working. They are in front of the miter saw on the floor. f6cfcc1e9fe98c9da45976edc061be64.jpg2c390828c08ec6426d5e5dbccb45189b.jpg53a4cb97c5da5e8ca3820f5f8b00421e.jpg

• Like 2

Today I got 3 of the 4 vertical doors in. The last door was giving me problems and let's just say the slides are not useable anymore. I also got the top made and put on. I'm holding off making the cubby holes as I need another piece of plywood. bf71264076aff3d5fcd104f8e5c73bcf.jpgedd0a57f8a3000b8efb00f3bd2a8a85a.jpg8699c507874a63522274038e3d458108.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Today I got 3 of the 4 vertical doors in. The last door was giving me problems and let's just say the slides are not useable anymore. I also got the top made and put on. I'm holding off making the cubby holes as I need another piece of plywood. bf71264076aff3d5fcd104f8e5c73bcf.jpgedd0a57f8a3000b8efb00f3bd2a8a85a.jpg8699c507874a63522274038e3d458108.jpg

Hehehehe.....so.....a little anger I suppose 😉

Do you have enough room to slide the wings all the way out to make 45 degree bevel cuts? I'm not that familiar with bosch , but with Dewalt miter saws you need a lot of room.

edit: I can bevel but I can't do a 45 bevel while doing a 45 miter cut.

41 minutes ago, ChrisK said:
Hehehehe.....so.....a little anger I suppose [emoji6]

Maybe just a little. So irritated with the last door. The first three went extremely smooth. Last one was causing all sorts of issues and not going in and out smoothly.

Just remember...sorry...a deer ran out in front of me!

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Maybe just a little. So irritated with the last door. The first three went extremely smooth. Last one was causing all sorts of issues and not going in and out smoothly.

Just remember...sorry...a deer ran out in front of me!

Yeah....I try to control my anger with irate glares, grunts and the occasional temper tantrum. Doors can be a real pain in the butt that’s for sure but it is coming out great. Can’t wait to see it done bro. Are you going to finish the project too or leave it ply and unfinished?

Yeah....I try to control my anger with irate glares, grunts and the occasional temper tantrum. Doors can be a real pain in the butt that’s for sure but it is coming out great. Can’t wait to see it done bro. Are you going to finish the project too or leave it ply and unfinished?
I've veneered all of the exposed edges and put water based poly from varathane on it.

Weekend progress.

I got the new drawer slides got the last sliding door hung. I cut a piece of plywood for the door for one of the bottom cabinets. The one to the right will be a long wood off cut holder. Just to the left will have the door and be filled with drawers. I'm thinking glue stuff in one drawer and after that will be small trays for some Durham boxes I have coming. Those will hold all my small bolts, washers, nuts, etc.

Under the drill press I will have more drawers for stuff like my drill accessories and grinding stuff. Depending how it goes the Durham boxes will go there instead.

Last night and today I got 3 of the four vertical door fronts on. I am still deciding on what to use as pulls. I'd like to get the pulls as close to the front of the slides as possible if not over them. If over them I'll make some homemade pulls and glue them on with Brad's.

I put the top on the whole cabinet and started to clean up a little bit. So much stuff in my way on the floor and just getting the few things up there has helped a lot already.

Up next is finishing the last door front and clear coating all the new additions. At some point I need to get the miter saw actually screwed down. I'll do that after I put clear on the t track piece. 966aa5f5eac9f27ba0c5414177837676.jpg1aeaabfaf752790ee46737c081b3b8b7.jpg68915dffd21bbc31f3d1072599682f3d.jpg419ac73a324428c970e4da857795a983.jpg52d1f2c650d893ac9a74a8f6d39a5b4e.jpg200dff2ea5c9db5ca24c750ec534847e.jpgacefd25da26cef3339e29b8fa9326594.jpg

• Like 4

I got the last door front put on last night. Today I made holders for my two random orbit Sanders. I also got the handles for the sliding doors in glue it. They will be ripped and rounded over tomorrow.

Right now I'm torn on how I want to do the sanding pads. Vertical or horizontal storage. I was thinking I could do flat storage boxes u der each sander since they have a different hole pattern. Or I could do one big verical storage that spans from front to back with labeled dividers. Thoughts? d2faf0ac353047dbc2c88d20cd0c9273.jpgcde18163824db8a0585beedc5165e4b0.jpgdf5d74dd9ee44d7eb00063abe4f06db1.jpg

• Like 2

Time has been spent between this and the hand tool cabinet so its a little slower going. I did manage to get the sanding pad storage completed. Pretty happy with how they turned out. I even have enough space to place another sander on top of the storage giving me 4 placed to put Sanders. d4c0e8a95f0f66885f0a4b28ebe78a9d.jpg241c7c35e96c15fc65b8c2bedd6f25f0.jpg

• Like 5

The upper drawers are done except for the fronts. I have one piece of plywood left and it's big enough for those pieces. Will need another sheet of 3/4" to finish everything the drawers are very tight fitting in that spot but I am able to get them out. Above the drawers will be shelves for my metal Durham hardware boxes. They will be 2 per shelf and am trying to figure out of I can get a third shelf in or not. We shall see. 18d25454b68e9157b9f8a31e546dde7f.jpg0aaf655ba3b7ed01ebee089a0e6438ab.jpg

• Like 3

I started work on the stop block but haven't finished it yet. I also screwed down the saw but need to raise the right side ever so slightly. I finished the hand tool cabinet so now I can focus on finishing this up so I can start my son's bedroom set.

I got the drawer fronts made and installed on the drawers. Still need to make the handles. I think they will be smaller than the verticle sliding doors.

I also am trying to figure out the upper hardware storage. This is a mock-up. There would be another shelf on the bottom where the rabbet is. The 1/2" ply sags a little more than I am happy with so I'm trying to figure out the best way to support it and able to install it at the same time. 9a068a79ac58874db910eeb1f17ba8a7.jpg

• Like 1

I got the upper right shelf unit made and in. Not sure if it will stay like this but it is something for now.

I also got the drawers for the lower left cabinet cut to height. I cut the long sides to length already but still have. The fronts and backs to do. Holy crap I love having a stop block. I still don't have the tape on yet so I mark my line, place it at the blade, and slide the stop over so it touches the wood. So so so nice doing repeat cuts
I'll cut the fronts and backs today as well as make the dados. I started to put a drawer slide in but decided to call it quits for the night.

Also pic of the two shelves I put in before for wood storage. Still need to do a lower shelf. I'll use that for taller/square pieces. 2ed4ad9a27e4d78924ef18cdd5ab21f5.jpgda7cdc2ca22bbf116bbd8795058611b1.jpg415a4891bc931dc603c86dded2171436.jpg

• Like 2